Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The number of people tested on Monday as per yesterday's figures was 69k. This figure has gone down every weekday since the high of 88k last Thursday. I know the figures are generally lower for weekends, but that's 2 weekdays in a row the figure has gone down which is concerning. Has any explanation been given for the drop?
My belief is that once they 'achieved' the target (which they didn't, they simply manufactured the total using whatever numbers worked) they lost urgency about actually 'achieving' them! Hopefully, once the numbers settle back to their real (un-pushed) value, they'll start increasing as testing availability and promotion works 'naturally'.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is it just a headline soundbite or is the PM serious about starting to lift UK lockdown from Monday

That would be incredible!

(I'll leave you to decide if 'incredible in this context is good or bad)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well, he said that a statement will be made on Sunday about relaxing the lockdown, some measures will come into play on Monday
So the speculation begins.......or continues.......

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
that would be just a few hours before Sturgeon went and announced Scotlands plan ahead of everyone else again

You know the plastic jock is just talking rubbish again, the SNP Westminister leader made great shakes by us all working together today during question time so either Ms Sturdgeon is losing her grip in the party or she is jumping the gun or, which is more likely she is acting on information that she is receiving at the Cobra meetings.

U

User62651

You know the plastic jock is just talking rubbish again, the SNP Westminister leader made great shakes by us all working together today during question time so either Ms Sturdgeon is losing her grip in the party or she is jumping the gun or, which is more likely she is acting on information that she is receiving at the Cobra meetings.
Why does it bother people in England what she says, continually told she is an irrelevance but gets name called and constant criticism too from EngTories, why is that? Does she even make the news in England? She is there as FM to represent everything devolved to us in Scotland, including health. If she opts to do things a little differently we can judge her and her party on that at the 2021 Holyrood elections and give her the boot if needs be.
We may see a Starmer bounce for Labour in 2021 but I seriously doubt there will any Johnson benefit for ScotTories next year, man is toxic and inept.
The daily brief up here is a good 4 hours earlier than London, not surprising things get announced earlier therefore.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why does it bother people in England what she says, continually told she is an irrelevance but gets name called and constant criticism too from EngTories, why is that? Does she even make the news in England? She is there as FM to represent everything devolved to us in Scotland, including health. If she opts to do things a little differently we can judge her and her party on that at the 2021 Holyrood elections and give her the boot if needs be.
We may see a Starmer bounce for Labour in 2021 but I seriously doubt there will any Johnson benefit for ScotTories next year, man is toxic and inept.
The daily brief up here is a good 4 hours earlier than London, not surprising things get announced earlier therefore.

Well said.

By saying steps behind, I was inferring that when England moved into lockdown they were 2/3 days behind Ireland\NI\Wales and Scotland.
I felt that Scotland should have taken the initial steps at least 3/4 days before they did....Cheltenham being an example.
Johnson was reluctantly pressurised into moving even then, which in IMVHO made him at least a week behind where a more switched on leader would have been.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
May I ask what happened that gave you a belief that any PM, politician or government cares whether you, I or anyone else has doubts about what they say. Or that they should specifically avoid making statements/claims that could lead you to doubt its provenance? (remember we're talking about politicians here)

Which PM/Politician/Government set this benchmark for you that their statements and claims were 'beyond doubt' that now allows you to believe all PMs/politicians/governments can be held to that standard? Has there ever been a PM/politician/government that has provided statements & claims that are beyond doubt? I worry that you seek a utopia that has not, and never will, exist
Don't disagree...

But as the government needs to try and get, and keep, us ALL on board with their strategy for getting the country through this time, it is in my view simply imperative that they don't do silly 'stunts' or make claims that can easily be undermined. Just don't do it.

The spin around claims that politicians traditionally say and the claims they make, are supported by their friends in the media and are in any case only aimed at maintaining their core constituency and building as best they can the margin on top of that. That works in normal politics - but it can't work today and with coronavirus - when the government needs a lot more than it's normal 40% of the public buy-in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Apparently you can! By post even!

Encouraging folk to get tesated ahould have been (and presumably was/is) part of the 'campaign'!
As is taking the testing to the people - in the care homes etc. The government is doing this - but not, it seems, particularly effectively at the moment given so many care homes are struggling on the PPE and testing front (oops repeated rudebhoy's similar observation).

By committing to a target you need to have a strategy that will enable you to hit that target with a high degree of confidence - not just hope that you will hit it - especially when your commitment requires significant stuff outside of your control to happen. Don't make yourself hostage to fortune. Just don't do it.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think if you read my post I you'll find I wasn't criticizing her nor am I English. I presume you were referring to me as you quoted my post.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As is taking the testing to the people - in the care homes etc. The government is doing this - but not, it seems, particularly effectively at the moment given so many care homes are struggling on the PPE and testing front (oops repeated rudebhoy's similar observation).

By committing to a target you need to have a strategy that will enable you to hit that target with a high degree of confidence - not just hope that you will hit it - especially when your commitment requires significant stuff outside of your control to happen. Don't make yourself hostage to fortune. Just don't do it.

Exceed expectations, and everyone is happy. Fail to meet them and its a busted flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.