Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s probably down to lazy parents as they all have the means ( internet access) to do the work she has set.

So we should leave these kids with "lazy" parents until a vaccine might appear? There are a large chunk of kids that are much safer at school.

Bring it on I say I'd happily see what people think I am. Be more entrainment than we've had on here in ages..

You must've missed the cycling thread!

Wolf

Visit site
It was a different time, a different social culture, the world was a different place and they had just got through the WW1 just over 20 years previously but you’re comparing the journalists behaviour.

You need to have a read about history and the problems Churchill faced, it really wasn’t everybody growing their own vegetables and singing “we’ll meet again”.

The Pandemic and WW2 are in no way, shape or form comparable.
Absolutely agree, different times, different mindsets and totally different scenarios where everyone knew who the common enemy was that was actively bombing homes.

I really wish people would stop comparing Covid-19 to wars.

Wolf

Visit site
So we should leave these kids with "lazy" parents until a vaccine might appear? There are a large chunk of kids that are much safer at school.

Didnt miss it, simply didn't bother viewing it even once because it was obvious what the answers and petty squabbling would be.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or maybe in a lot of cases it could be that the parents are having to work from home as well as trying to home school like both myself and my wife and our son. I wouldn’t be so judgemental if I was you

Have you provided the scientific proof that shows that it’s not safe to send a 5 year old into Primary School ?
Kids come to school stinking of weed , not been fed ,dirty clothes.
Most of the parents are not working that’s a fact .
The ones who are working are the 40% who do the work with the kids.
It’s my opinion it’s not safe I quite clearly said that .
But the science according to Mr Gove went from Safe to Unlikley in one sentence.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes the kids will be safer !
But the Staff won’t, you can’t teach a class in full PPE.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think the burden of proof is on the Govt to prove it is safe

But there is no proof that will satisfy everyone. At the end of the day scientific advice is given and an informed judgement is made.

Our democracy is no better and no worse than other countries. The decision is what's thought to best for the majority and that will unfortunately be bad for some.

Hopefully the majority will keep to the science based advice but there is a tendency for the loudest voices to drown out common sense.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the burden of proof is on the Govt to prove it is safe
I really can’t belive how many people are pushing for their children to go back into a school classroom that hasn’t been proved or disproved that it’s safe for them.
The French have proved that it probably isn’t.

PaulS

Visit site
Yes the kids will be safer !
But the Staff won’t, you can’t teach a class in full PPE.

Have you seen the figures of the kids that are being affected by the virus and you want them to stay at home until a vaccine is available which could be over a year !!!

Are you home schooling ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But there is no proof that will satisfy everyone. At the end of the day scientific advice is given and an informed judgement is made.

Our democracy is no better and no worse than other countries. The decision is what's thought to best for the majority and that will unfortunately be bad for some.

Hopefully the majority will keep to the science based advice but there is a tendency for the loudest voices to drown out common sense.
Science does get things horribly wrong sometimes though , that’s why they experiment before they find answers.
Blindly following the science without question would be wrong .
But all workers inc teachers / head teachers have a veto on safety grounds , I am wondering how many will use it.
“You are your own safety officer” was drummed into us over 40yrs of work.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you seen the figures of the kids that are being affected by the virus and you want them to stay at home until a vaccine is available which could be over a year !!!

Are you home schooling ?
My daughter is a primary school teacher .
I don’t think there is much I can teach her.
I havnt mentioned a vaccine!
If it’s not safe does it matter how long it takes?
Would you send your children into any other situation if you know it might not be safe and could potentially kill them.?

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Interesting report (from a relatively neutral research group I think) on how pupils are learning or not during the lockdown. And before I get accused of saying we should send kids in to school no mater what the risks, this is copied without any particular bias or position to support, and in my opinion only one side of the story as it relates to educational impact and not the safeguarding of pupils and staff in school. Which is just as important. https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications...zmR4vp4-NsP5t6d4SjNrlYRKO4OsjdQxEiC7boYcq9v2w

PaulS

Visit site
My daughter is a primary school teacher .
I don’t think there is much I can teach her.
I havnt mentioned a vaccine!
If it’s not safe does it matter how long it takes?
Would you send your children into any other situation if you know it might not be safe and could potentially kill them.?

You can never guarantee anything is 100% - every situation that happens in life has danger , right now my child will be going back on 1st June into nursery , I have no issues with doing that because I believe the facility will do their very best to keep the children as safe as possible.

You can’t wrap up everyone in bubblewrap - this virus unfortunately has clearly affected one demographic within our population and it has taken the lives of 8 children below the age of 18 who had no other serious medical issues.

I suspect they are more at risk of getting run over right now.

D

Deleted member 18588

This discussion seems very similar to those that follow terrorist attacks when some people intimate that they will not expose themselves to future risk until there is an assurance of their safety.

But what is safety?

Certainly it can never be 100% guaranteed whether we are talking about terrorism or viruses.

Ultimately individuals must make their own choices on the level of risk they are prepared to accept.

This should be an informed choice based upon all the available information and not just upon gut feelings.

Having made their choice they should be free to act upon it accordingly.

But do not ask the Government or any other authority for an absolute assurance of safety because it cannot be given.

Wolf

Visit site
Maybees worth remembering the scientists thought it was safe for British troops to observe atomic bomb tests.
Please can we stop with comparing Covid-19 in any form to wars, nuclear weapons or any plight that has involved the armed services. Its not remotely similar, relevant nor is it even within the same area of science. Things have moved on and this should be looked at in its own right.

BTW this is not a dig at you DfT so many people are making these comparisons with no real understanding of wars other than what history tells them, much like the above poster liking it to terrorism please let's not do that it's nothing alike and should be treated as the pandemic it is not wars, terrorism or anything else??

PaulS

Visit site
Maybees worth remembering the scientists thought it was safe for British troops to observe atomic bomb tests.

On what planet is that some sort of relevance ?

Seriously - why are people always try to compare this situation with something that happened in history , we have never been in this situation before with the current way we live our lives

World War were different
Spanish Flu was different
The Plague was different

Status
Not open for further replies.