Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The flaw in that story is that at the start of WW2 Parliament got shot of an unpopular disorganised ineffective leader and replaced him with an effective leader who lead a united national government.:eek:;)

Yes, and how much would he have put up with the "gotcha" journos and snipers that this government are having to put up with.?
It was a united government because they, and the people all realised that they were facing a common threat, and so Party politics was forgotten for the duration.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes, and how much would he have put up with the "gotcha" journos and snipers that this government are having to put up with.?
It was a united government because they, and the people all realised that they were facing a common threat, and so Party politics was forgotten for the duration.
It was 80 years ago ffs! You can’t compare the 2 and is an insult to ALL those who lived during that period and made the ultimate sacrifice regardless of position, wealth, social standing and political allegiance.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why cant the kids have their summer holidays now and go to school in July and August?
I was chatting to my mum yesterday, retired teacher of 35 years, and she raised this point. It is an interesting suggestion, it is not as if everyone is going on holiday this summer is it? I'm sure it would be unpopular in some circles but a bit of left field thinking is needed right now. It is certainly worth looking at and if it is and then dismissed then fair enough.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You must see different journalists than I do because the bunch I see refuse to ask difficult questions time after time and are giving the government basically a free ride without the kind of scrutiny the press should be issuing.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I saw this today and was reminded of this discussion:
View attachment 30747
And women should stay at home and to hell with foreigners, too?

Why does every hardship in this country end up being equated to the most brutal war the world has ever seen, almost as if we look back at that time with nostalgia and want a return to that sort of mindset.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
They use science when it suits them but havnt proved kids can’t pass it on.

Has anyone apart from some crap journalist actually said that....

What's your ideal situation? When would kids go back? I'm assuming you think we should be in total lock down still? Do you think key workers should be at work?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
7 French schools that reopened last week have closed as a child has tested positive......

Another few weeks isnt going to be of more detriment to a kids education, especially with end of year so close.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...But this subject should not be politicised. Just because the Tories have said something then if you vote Tory you should not be blindly following the advice if it is not be in the best interests of your family. Same with anything Labour comes out with if yo are a labour voter. ...
Politicisation of this is inevitable - and, to me, demonstrates the BENEFITS of our system (over the likes of US's). HM Opposition has been fairly quiet - supportive even, but HAS pointed out some of (generally those deemed important) the glitches that have, inevitably imo, happened. Parliament is a very direct route to challenge Cabinet decisions - as opposed to the protracted mechanism in US where dictatorial Presidential decrees/actions (including revenge!) take eons to be challenged!

To me, it's commentators - the Press, this Forum etc, who have demonstrated the most 'politicisation' in UK. I'm sure I could easily provide a list of obvious Tory supporting members here who have 'condemned' every criticism of 'The Government' and, though with a bit more effort necessary, another (smaller) one of those anti-Tories who, similarly, see only the negatives of government action. As for 'The Press'...From what I've seen of the 'populuat' onws, Torygraph, DM, Sun continue their Tory=Great;Labour=Horrible approach, Grauniad it's marginal-somewhat Left wing style (exaggerated/condemned by Tory supporters imo) and The Times somewhere between (I read it for the 1st time in a while a few days ago but I might become a regular as either it seemed quite 'balanced', in spite of its owner, or I have moved (further?) toward the right!).

I certainly agree that Heads are the best source of info about action taken by the school and/but believe it's up to each family to decide whether the level of 'safety' provided is sufficient for their specific needs - which may vary widely!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, as well as having been a Journo himself, he did have the Defense of the Realm Act to use to bully the Press. He did face criticism and did retaliate, but that sort of thing has been 'forgotten' following his success!
And it wasn't, primarily, Churchill's decision to 'form a coalition', rather the last act of a resigning Chamberlain - though he did continue with the idea when handed PM-ship (initially with only a 5 member Cabinet!).

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It was 80 years ago ffs! You can’t compare the 2 and is an insult to ALL those who lived during that period and made the ultimate sacrifice regardless of position, wealth, social standing and political allegiance.

Rubbish! I am commenting on attitudes and the differences between then and now. Some here are more interested in knocking the government than in seeing that the Country is facing a crisis and that the motives of this government, as I would expect at this time, are not in question.
Or are you so politically motivated that you want to allege they are, as some are apparently doing.?

Wolf

Visit site
Politicisation of this is inevitable - and, to me, demonstrates the BENEFITS of our system (over the likes of US's). HM Opposition has been fairly quiet - supportive even, but HAS pointed out some of (generally those deemed important) the glitches that have, inevitably imo, happened. Parliament is a very direct route to challenge Cabinet decisions - as opposed to the protracted mechanism in US where dictatorial Presidential decrees/actions (including revenge!) take eons to be challenged!

To me, it's commentators - the Press, this Forum etc, who have demonstrated the most 'politicisation' in UK. I'm sure I could easily provide a list of obvious Tory supporting members here who have 'condemned' every criticism of 'The Government' and, though with a bit more effort necessary, another (smaller) one of those anti-Tories who, similarly, see only the negatives of government action. As for 'The Press'...From what I've seen of the 'populuat' onws, Torygraph, DM, Sun continue their Tory=Great;Labour=Horrible approach, Grauniad it's marginal-somewhat Left wing style (exaggerated/condemned by Tory supporters imo) and The Times somewhere between (I read it for the 1st time in a while a few days ago but I might become a regular as either it seemed quite 'balanced', in spite of its owner, or I have moved (further?) toward the right!).

I certainly agree that Heads are the best source of info about action taken by the school and/but believe it's up to each family to decide whether the level of 'safety' provided is sufficient for their specific needs - which may vary widely!
I'd be interested to see that, would make fun reading and seeing if it then matches the posters actual political allegiance ?

D

Deleted member 18588

Would have to disagree with you on The Grauniad as I find its consistent anti-Tory stance as irritating as The Mail 's blind loyalty.

In fact my wife and I read both online on the basis that somewhere between the two hopefully lies the truth.

Despite Murdoch's ownership we find The Times adopts a pretty balanced editorial approach and indeed has never been an unquestioning supporter of any political party.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Would have to disagree with you on The Grauniad as I find its consistent anti-Tory stance as irritating as The Mail 's blind loyalty.

Anti anything is annoying. According the vocal minority you have to be 100% in on something nowadays. God forbid you agree with some parts of x and some parts of y.

D

Deleted member 16999

Rubbish! I am commenting on attitudes and the differences between then and now. Some here are more interested in knocking the government than in seeing that the Country is facing a crisis and that the motives of this government, as I would expect at this time, are not in question.
Or are you so politically motivated that you want to allege they are, as some are apparently doing.?
It was a different time, a different social culture, the world was a different place and they had just got through the WW1 just over 20 years previously but you’re comparing the journalists behaviour.

You need to have a read about history and the problems Churchill faced, it really wasn’t everybody growing their own vegetables and singing “we’ll meet again”.

The Pandemic and WW2 are in no way, shape or form comparable.

PaulS

Visit site
7 French schools that reopened last week have closed as a child has tested positive......

Another few weeks isnt going to be of more detriment to a kids education, especially with end of year so close.
Speaking to a teacher yesterday and there Could potentially be a lot of kids having to repeat a year if they don’t get back to school soon - the kids have already had 8 weeks which is more than the summer holiday so by the time middle of June comes around they will be 3 months without proper schooling.

These young kids are our future and whilst the virus is still a threat schools need to find a way to get back to educating them - if kids go all the way through until September without schooling them it’s going to have a detrimental affect on futures and higher education.

People at higher risks are going back to work , shopping , sports , etc - whilst the economy needs to start moving forward so does education.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

But how do you know the differences between then and now, assuming that you are not over the age of 90.
I am pretty certain that in the war years 'attitudes' were probably not a lot different than they are right now.
Just imagine yourself stuck in a long food ration queue in 1940 at the butchers, and then the bakers, and then the dairy etc. I bet there was a fair amount of moaning going on from the 'plucky Brits'. But the rich could short circuit the queues and rations by buying on the black market.
Out of interest I checked I was 6 years old when meat rationing ended in July 1954.
NINE years after the war had ended.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone apart from some crap journalist actually said that....

What's your ideal situation? When would kids go back? I'm assuming you think we should be in total lock down still? Do you think key workers should be at work?
I think the older children will be ok ,but the primary kids it just dosnt make sense.
My daughter is a primary teacher, my wife is shielding that’s a worry for us.
She hadn’t seen her boyfriend for eight weeks until last Monday.
She can’t meet more than one friend in the park.
But is expected to have up to 15 kids in a class.
She has been setting work everyday for her class but only 40% have bothered to do any.
That’s probably down to lazy parents as they all have the means ( internet access) to do the work she has set.

You should not assume what I am thinking , lockdown needs to lift SAFELY sending 5yr olds to school is not safe imo.
Other opinions are available that’s fine.

PaulS

Visit site
I think the older children will be ok ,but the primary kids it just dosnt make sense.
My daughter is a primary teacher, my wife is shielding that’s a worry for us.
She hadn’t seen her boyfriend for eight weeks until last Monday.
She can’t meet more than one friend in the park.
But is expected to have up to 15 kids in a class.
She has been setting work everyday for her class but only 40% have bothered to do any.
That’s probably down to lazy parents as they all have the means ( internet access) to do the work she has set.

You should not assume what I am thinking , lockdown needs to lift SAFELY sending 5yr olds to school is not safe imo.
Other opinions are available that’s fine.
Or maybe in a lot of cases it could be that the parents are having to work from home as well as trying to home school like both myself and my wife and our son. I wouldn’t be so judgemental if I was you

Have you provided the scientific proof that shows that it’s not safe to send a 5 year old into Primary School ?

Status
Not open for further replies.