Coping with morning fog

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have a booking system, so once your booking is gone past its missed. I think common sense has revailed a few time when we have had fog, which luckily isn't too often being right on the coast.

I do remember one particular incident a few years ago. it was just before the Curtis Cup and the GB&i team where there for some practice. course was closed until, 9.30 so they had fron 8 to 9.30 to play, as there were only 12 of them at most plenty of time to practice on the course. there was heavy fog, which cleared about 9am. so once all the hangers on got thenselves ready to go it was 9.30, just as the roll up was due to go out.... some of the guys where fuming they got bumped, words where said ... harsh words at that. some of the guys certainly didn't do themselves any favours:censored:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I emailed the golf manager at my club and asked what our ruling is on this. He classed it as a temporary suspension of play, as per lightning, flooded greens etc and so tee slots would simply shuffle down in order. His assumption was that if it was a long delay then some would simply give up and go home, meaning the impact would be lessened. I like the way our place does it and at least I know now.
I'm guessing that, as you had to ask, the view of your golf manager is not understood by all the members - risky :)

Not sure how it's all going to work as we have to have pre-booked tee times and these would all have to be cleared and re-booked - or something...because those early players happy to wait would have to know their revised/new tee time. And as we don;t know when the fog is going to lift we don't know how much to clear to rebook. And then we'd be looking to fill slots vacated by any of a four ball not wishing to play later etc.

And as mentioned - fortunately we don't often get bad fog - but when we do it can hang around to after 10:30am as the sun gets strong enough to burn it off. But what works for bad fog we can potentially apply for any delay to start of the day's play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

I'm guessing that, as you had to ask, the view of your golf manager is not understood by all the members - risky :)

Not sure how it's all going to work as we have to have pre-booked tee times and these would all have to be cleared and re-booked - or something...because those early players happy to wait would have to know their revised/new tee time. And as we don;t know when the fog is going to lift we don't know how much to clear to rebook. And then we'd be looking to fill slots vacated by any of a four ball not wishing to play later etc.

And as mentioned - fortunately we don't often get bad fog - but when we do it can hang around to after 10:30am as the sun gets strong enough to burn it off. But what works for bad fog we can potentially apply for any delay to start of the day's play.

What about later tee times who won't have enough daylight to get round when tee times are bumped backwards?

Then again as long as the early starters get their game in who cares....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What about later tee times who won't have enough daylight to get round when tee times are bumped backwards?

Then again as long as the early starters get their game in who cares....
This is potentially a difficult issue for us. Many of the early players are some of the most regular, 'senior' or 'vocal' in the club. They will be expecting their Saturday/ Sunday round (Sunday less of an issue as 1st tee much quieter after 2pm Sundays).

At the moment the 40 of us who play in our late-morning roll-up (10 x 8 min tee times) would see a 2hr slippage find our final tee time being not much before 2pm...and possibly not able to get round before dark. Never mind the Midday Dozen who play after us..

D

Deleted member 3432

This is potentially a difficult issue for us. Many of the early players are some of the most regular, 'senior' or 'vocal' in the club. They will be expecting their Saturday/ Sunday round (Sunday less of an issue as 1st tee much quieter after 2pm Sundays).

At the moment the 40 of us who play in our late-morning roll-up (10 x 8 min tee times) would see a 2hr slippage find our final tee time being not much before 2pm...and possibly not able to get round before dark. Never mind the Midday Dozen who play after us..

Sounds like you have a two tiered membership, the regulars, seniors, vocal, good old boys of the roll up and then the rest who should be thankful for the left over tee times they get....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No two-tier membership at my place - anyone can play in any rollup and at any time of the day. Describing as 'good old boys' our Saturday roll up couldn't be further from the truth. They are actually a major aspect of the club's approach to member integration and to discouraging cliques at busy and popular times.

If you want to play at a time reserved for any roll-up (there are really only three of any great significance across the week - and their tee times are only reserved as in this current time we must all book) - you simply sign up for the roll-up. As as result at the moment the roll-up I play in is usually 'over-subscribed', and if I am a bit slow or late signing up I won't get one of the 'reserved' tee times. But I just book another tee time - let the organiser know, and my £1 is chucked into the virtual pot.

Last edited:

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our course is adopting the shuffle all tee times back approach which is fine and at least it was clearly communicated.

What I would like to know is if they will be re-introducing restrictions on number rounds that that an individual can bookEd into when the clocks change. It was pretty clear that the system was abused by certain individuals when our course reopened and weekend tee slots will be at a premium in the next few weeks.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our course is adopting the shuffle all tee times back approach which is fine and at least it was clearly communicated.

What I would like to know is if they will be re-introducing restrictions on number rounds that that an individual can bookEd into when the clocks change. It was pretty clear that the system was abused by certain individuals when our course reopened and weekend tee slots will be at a premium in the next few weeks.

Slipping all tee bookings back until the fog lifts is clearly an option - but it only 'guarantees' a round for the earlier starters - and so do we limit the number of times a member can book an early tee time (let's say before 10am) over the winter period?

And how do manage filling of spaces created in the groups slipped back (when not all a four ball can tee off later in the morning) - with those who are being pushed back out of their booked tee time? Feels like someone has to completely clear down the bookings for the day and re-book everyone so that others can see gaps created by slipping the groups. That sounds a bit painful...

I'm inclined to the 'tough' approach. It's foggy and no play? Tee time lost. And manage issues that might subsequently arise.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slipping all tee bookings back until the fog lifts is clearly an option - but it only 'guarantees' a round for the earlier starters - and so do we limit the number of times a member can book an early tee time (let's say before 10am) over the winter period?

And how do manage filling of spaces created in the groups slipped back (when not all a four ball can tee off later in the morning) - with those who are being pushed back out of their booked tee time? Feels like someone has to completely clear down the bookings for the day and re-book everyone so that others can see gaps created by slipping the groups. That sounds a bit painful...

I'm inclined to the 'tough' approach. It's foggy and no play? Tee time lost. And manage issues that might subsequently arise.
I don’t disagree with anything you say. As club that has functioned on a ball in the chute until this year our approach probably mirrors what would have happened naturally. I suspect lessons will be learnt.

Regardless of approach someone has to be inconvenienced and someone will miss out. With our approach everyone is inconvenienced, maybe that’s considered more inclusive??

D

Deleted member 3432

I don’t disagree with anything you say. As club that has functioned on a ball in the chute until this year our approach probably mirrors what would have happened naturally. I suspect lessons will be learnt.

Regardless of approach someone has to be inconvenienced and someone will miss out. With our approach everyone is inconvenienced, maybe that’s considered more inclusive??

Do you allow visitors?

I have just had a look at our tee sheet for the weekend. Looks we we have quite a few visitors both days, not a problem fitting in them in around the comps on Sunday.

Taking the bumping everyone back approach to bad weather would cost our club a few grand in cash not to mention some angry guests who would more than likely not get round in daylight.

Granted it is a difficult decision to manage but disadvantaging everyone (some more than others as late starters are totally shafted with this approach) is not the right way.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you allow visitors?

I have just had a look at our tee sheet for the weekend. Looks we we have quite a few visitors both days, not a problem fitting in them in around the comps on Sunday.

Taking the bumping everyone back approach to bad weather would cost our club a few grand in cash not to mention some angry guests who would more than likely not get round in daylight.

Granted it is a difficult decision to manage but disadvantaging everyone (some more than others as late starters are totally shafted with this approach) is not the right way.
We only have members guests at weekends, so not likely to affect revenue.

Midweek we have societies and visitors over winter they would be morning tee times any way and I am sure that they will have priority on those days if the especially if food is involved.

I don’t endorse or object to the decision.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Our comms on this were sent out last week and introduced from today. 3 games per week, with the ability to play on the day in a slot and not use up one of your allocation. Worked well for the first couple of months post lockdown

I think they'll need to shift it to one morning game per weekend though, but not sure how that will go down. The start sheet for the new regime (2 balls pre 9am, 4balls after) went up at 6pm Saturday. I grabbed the first slot for a 4, and by the time I had registered my PPs and checked back again every slot up to midday had been booked! Not even a comp weekend, and we're still no guests at weekends or any visitors at all

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our comms on this were sent out last week and introduced from today. 3 games per week, with the ability to play on the day in a slot and not use up one of your allocation. Worked well for the first couple of months post lockdown

I think they'll need to shift it to one morning game per weekend though, but not sure how that will go down. The start sheet for the new regime (2 balls pre 9am, 4balls after) went up at 6pm Saturday. I grabbed the first slot for a 4, and by the time I had registered my PPs and checked back again every slot up to midday had been booked! Not even a comp weekend, and we're still no guests at weekends or any visitors at all
Our place was completely rammed at weekends even with 10hrs of tee starts. Ok the demand might reduce over winter but not by enough to allow members to play more than once a weekend. We probably need something more drastic than that TBF but for sure it won’t be popular weekend only golfers see the same people who are out there midweek booking the weekend slots.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our place was completely rammed at weekends even with 10hrs of tee starts. Ok the demand might reduce over winter but not by enough to allow members to play more than once a weekend. We probably need something more drastic than that TBF but for sure it won’t be popular weekend only golfers see the same people who are out there midweek booking the weekend slots.
I agree. I can already hear the complaints of weekend-only golfers being bumped back - and possibly out - from mid-late morning tee times to accommodate early starters - many of whom play weekdays also.

D

Deleted member 3432

I agree. I can already hear the complaints of weekend-only golfers being bumped back - and possibly out - from mid-late morning tee times to accommodate early starters - many of whom play weekdays also.

Can totally understand that one, but has this been a problem in previous years or is it a result of more members or more active golfers?

Clubs would need to manage this as they did post restart as lets be honest people are selfish.

May be a case of social golf only at weekends so the midweek golfers don't think they are missing out or midweek comps to keep them happy.

D

Deleted member 3432

We only have members guests at weekends, so not likely to affect revenue.

Midweek we have societies and visitors over winter they would be morning tee times any way and I am sure that they will have priority on those days if the especially if food is involved.

I don’t endorse or object to the decision.

Going to be tricky for clubs to manage thats for sure.

It will be interesting to see if demand stays high over the coming months or the new golfers or more active existing members play less over winter.

My own club doesn't have a massive membership and we have been able to accomodate record visitor numbers during September and its going to be just as busy this month.

All this could be a moot point anyway if we find ourselves in another lockdown....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can totally understand that one, but has this been a problem in previous years or is it a result of more members or more active golfers?

Clubs would need to manage this as they did post restart as lets be honest people are selfish.

May be a case of social golf only at weekends so the midweek golfers don't think they are missing out or midweek comps to keep them happy.
It will be more difficult as a result of having to clear down the tee booking system and strict restrictions on numbers in and in closed vicinity of Clubhouse. Normally folk with early times waiting for fog to clear would just gather in clubhouse and informally rearrange groups in readiness for course reopening.