Contacts Vs Glasses

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
My prescription has changed so need varifocals. Used to just be for computer work etc so now need to wear them all the time. Spoke to the optician at the time and she said that contacts were an option but my eyes will need to be monitored and tested more frequently if using them.
Went to Specsavers (cheaper than where I got tested) to get the new glasses and now getting used to them.
Spoke to them about contacts and started a trial with them yesterday. Went yesterday and got all the tests and was shown how to insert and remove them.
Problem is the monthly package (easyvision or something) is £40 for dailies. Do I need to do this? Can I not just purchase them online and pay for an eye test once per year?
I suppose I could do it for a year, see how it goes and then decide.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My prescription has changed so need varifocals. Used to just be for computer work etc so now need to wear them all the time. Spoke to the optician at the time and she said that contacts were an option but my eyes will need to be monitored and tested more frequently if using them.
Went to Specsavers (cheaper than where I got tested) to get the new glasses and now getting used to them.
Spoke to them about contacts and started a trial with them yesterday. Went yesterday and got all the tests and was shown how to insert and remove them.
Problem is the monthly package (easyvision or something) is £40 for dailies. Do I need to do this? Can I not just purchase them online and pay for an eye test once per year?
To start with, you're best off getting your lenses from the same outfit as where you get your eye test done. So you can get the lenses properly sorted (ie the one you first get might not be the ones you eventually settle on). But essentially, once you've got your contact lens prescription, you can buy from wherever you like. But I've found that for my prescription, Specsavers are the same price as what I can get on-line.
Remember though, that a decent on-line supplier will (or should) want evidence of a valid, up-to-date prescription.
Edit: And as per HampshireHog, I also don't have a contract - just buy as & when needed.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
If you need varifocals you may find that in time, contacts become a pain. I have worn them since I was about 30 (57 now) but with the onset of age I needed varifocals for reading etc. I think you can get varifocal contacts now but I have an astigmatism so wasn't an option for me. I found I had to start using reading glasses when I had my contacts in.

I can manage to read a scorecard playing golf but after speaking to my optician I now wear one lens only. Sounds odd but its a fair compromise for me, giving me reasonable vision both close and long, without having to carry reading glasses all the time. Admit I do still wear veridical glasses as much as I wear lenses, but playing golf, out in summer when using sunglasses etc is so much easier with contacts.

I too use Specsavers and just buy daily disposables when I need them, without a contract.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a monthly contract for varifocals with Specsavers. It is £22 per month without solutions. I get 3 pairs every 3 months, so replace the lenses every month. I found that the package with solution gave me too many bottles so just get solution from the supermarket when I need it. The lenses come in the post with no delays so nice and easy, just swap my lenses on the 1st of each month. Also included in the scheme is a free check every year and also free glasses (or good discount on designer brands) every 2 years. The bonus with being on a scheme is you can just get an appointment or quick check if you have any problems - best not to mess with eyes, you can't replace them easily* I have never had any issues with playing golf with them in and also no issues when on the computer - which I am on far too much nowadays!

* Correct at time of writing ;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Thanks all for this info.
I have been wearing varifocals for a few years. Had reading only glasses for several years before.
I am due an eye test soon. Get on OK with specs on the course, but big problem in rain/drizzle. I will discuss contacts for this purpose at my next test.

I remember first game with the varifocals - Scary.
All the trees were much bigger and closer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have astigmatism and short-sighted in both eyes. Wore contact lenses for 25yrs - at first hard gas permeable - difficult at first - latterly daily disposables - easy, but age found me needing varifocals and so glasses with varifocal lenses it was. But I still wanted contacts for golf so had prescription for distance vision - daily contacts - but otherwise wore my glasses most of the time. Lenses for golf or other few occasions - with reading glasses for close reading stuff. Which I found a bit of a faff tbh.

But come pandemic I thought of wearing contacts all of the time - cheesed off with misting glasses. Optician suggested trying distance vision lens for dominant eye and a near vision lense for other. This worked great for me for most situations.

In fact I have found that I can actually do without the near vision lens - the right eye dominant lens alone is good enough for most circumstances, and my non-dominant eye takes over for close vision stuff. However I have found the mix of lenses doesn’t work well for golf - I lose a bit of perspective (single dominant eye not great for binocular vision!) and so I also have distance prescription lenses for non-dominant eye for golf, and other situations where I might want perfect distance vision - as well as close vision lenses for when perfect distance is less important.

If I know I am going to wear a distance lens in non-dominant eye later in the day I often won’t bother with the near vision lens - to save wasting it. I still have my varifocal glasses for evening wear when optician suggests I take out lenses as they can get a bit ‘sticky’.

The brain is dead clever sorting out which eye to use most. Now if only I known that before ?

Last edited:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve worn glasses all my life, tried contacts during my party years (not cool to wear glasses back then), could never get on with them personally and back to specs I went ?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site

I have been short sighted, and worn glasses to correct it, with a very small astigmatism.

I used Focus Dailes as needed. They didn't correct the astigmatism but were good enough, and so I could wear contacts with non-persecription sunglasses, or if it was raining.

I recently went to varifocal glasses. If I play in them, I ocassionally notice that if they have slipped a little I see slopes on the ground that aren't really there.

I have started trying out Daily Varifocal lenses. Again, they don't correct the astigmatism, and so aren't as crisp as my glasses, but seem to be good enough. It's a work in progress at the moment as I get used to them. (My optiian also suggetsed the one lens near sighted, one lens far sighted option if I don't get the hang of the Varifical lenses.)

As others have said even though opticians say "these contacts are £40/month" they are only that cost if you wear them every day, and you don't have to. They come in packs of 30 pairs. I tend to buy three months worth and they last a year. I return annually for a contact lens check at the optician, which is a separate appointmnet to my biannual sight test. I also have found that though the different brands will claim to be equivalent to others, some brands seem to be slightly thicker than others, and not as robust (ie tear moire easily). It's worth getting a trial set from the optician, and going back for a different trial set if you want to compare.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have astigmatism and short-sighted in both eyes. Wore contact lenses for 25yrs - at first hard gas permeable - difficult at first - latterly daily disposables - easy, but age found me needing varifocals and so glasses with varifocal lenses it was. But I still wanted contacts for golf so had prescription for distance vision - daily contacts - but otherwise wore my glasses most of the time. Lenses for golf or other few occasions - with reading glasses for close reading stuff. Which I found a bit of a faff tbh.

But come pandemic I thought of wearing contacts all of the time - cheesed off with misting glasses. Optician suggested trying distance vision lens for dominant eye and a near vision lense for other. This worked great for me for most situations.

In fact I have found that I can actually do without the near vision lens - the right eye dominant lens alone is good enough for most circumstances, and my non-dominant eye takes over for close vision stuff. However I have found the mix of lenses doesn’t work well for golf - I lose a bit of perspective (single dominant eye not great for binocular vision!) and so I also have distance prescription lenses for non-dominant eye for golf, and other situations where I might want perfect distance vision - as well as close vision lenses for when perfect distance is less important.

If I know I am going to wear a distance lens in non-dominant eye later in the day I often won’t bother with the near vision lens - to save wasting it. I still have my varifocal glasses for evening wear when optician suggests I take out lenses as they can get a bit ‘sticky’.

The brain is dead clever sorting out which eye to use most. Now if only I known that before ?
The optician suggested two different lens for me when I got varifocal contacts - couldn't get my head around the fact that one eye would be for distance and one for near! As you say, the brain is dead good :)

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
All very good info. Thanks. I find it very confusing though. I'm leaning towards monthlies as they're much cheaper but I need to see how the week's trial goes. Might not like them at all.

It seems that contacts aren't the convenient replacement to glasses that I first thought. You can only wear them around 12 hours per day and you're not supposed to have a nap in them either ?. That's me stuffed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two things for me about contact lenses
1. I had great trouble putting them in.
2. They made all the putts with a minor break look as if the putt was right to left.

Having said that my mates wears them for playing in and has no problems.

The bit about not leaving them in is imperative. My nephew had a habit of leaving them in and developed an eye infection which nearly cost him eyesight altogether.

I find when playing golf I only need distance lenses. I can put up with not having reading lenses because about the only time I need them is for the back of the card on a strange course.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All very good info. Thanks. I find it very confusing though. I'm leaning towards monthlies as they're much cheaper but I need to see how the week's trial goes. Might not like them at all.

It seems that contacts aren't the convenient replacement to glasses that I first thought. You can only wear them around 12 hours per day and you're not supposed to have a nap in them either ?. That's me stuffed.
To be fair, if you get the lenses that let oxygen through and are designed for extended wear, then the odd nap won't make a lot of difference (not qualified though!). I used to over wear my old lenses when younger but the new modern ones are much better if you wear them longer. I have slept the odd drunken night and not suffered in the morning - well. not with my lenses!!!
More important is not to shower or swim with them in as there are nasty bugs in the water, not good at all - don't google the picture if you are squeamish!!!:sick:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife got a prescription lens implant in 1 eye a few years ago and hasn't needed glasses or contacts since. Basically the same short operation much like a cataract op.
EDIT , she previously tried laser surgery but that wore off after a couple of years.
She doesn't play golf .
Oops just asked the wife, she actually had 2 lenses fitted, 1 for distance 1 for close up, 6 years ago, cost then was around £1000 per eye

Last edited:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife got a prescription lens implant in 1 eye a few years ago and hasn't needed glasses or contacts since. Basically the same short operation much like a cataract op.
EDIT , she previously tried laser surgery but that wore off after a couple of years.
She doesn't play golf .
Oops just asked the wife, she actually had 2 lenses fitted, 1 for distance 1 for close up, 6 years ago, cost then was around £1000 per eye
Yeah the cost of surgery is off putting and I'd be worried that it wouldn't be a long-term fix.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have daily disposable contacts only for golf. Buy mine online. Tried the option of different prescription lenses in the eyes at the opticians and it just did not work for me.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I wear varifocals. Tried contacts, couldn't get on with them. I had a pair of varifocals made up with a slightly deeper lens to help avoid the line across the lens which distorts everything and they seem to work okay. Hate playing in the rain with them though, total waste of time