Confused

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Right I am a bit confused (I know does it not take much). I have been playing the Cobra Bio Cell Plus driver with Red Tie Stiff shaft all summer with varying degrees of success. On good days it is immense, very long and straight but I am constantly fighting the right side of the course and it's not so much a slice more a push straight out right.
I then this week bought a Cleveland Classic Custom XL with a Myazaki X flex on a whim for £40 quid and am hitting this so consistently with a nice draw which has always been my shot shape with previous drivers.
So what is confusing me is why can i get this x flex driver to draw when the general rule is a weaker shaft will result in hooks? I really want to play the Cobra but the results don't lie and looks like the Cleveland is staying just wondered if anyone can maybe shed some light on the situation that knows more about shafts!

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not quite as simple as the x flex does this, the s flex does that. Weight plays a considerable part and if memory serves the Miyazakis used on Cleveland Classics were notoriously light, some ridiculously so (one at 39g IIRC).
A heavier x flex will probably give a totally different set of results.
I play a much heavier than standard 85g reg flex thats probably a bit stiffer, overall, than some 50g s flex ones out there. But thats what works for me as the light stiff shafts I find hard to control. Heavy stiff is then too stiff.
Rather than worry about what the wee label says, go with what works.
The head will play some part as they are often designed to perform best with the manufacturer "shaft of choice". Thats not to say that the Miyazaki wouldnt work just as well in the Cobra head.
Sure that one of the proper shaftoid forumers will be along soon to give you a better explanation.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I briefly had a Cleveland ClassicXl in the bag.
I had it in Reg flex,which felt very whippy compared to my G10(also Reg flex).
I felt like I was always fighting to stop it going left.
I ended up selling it & going back to the Ping.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not quite as simple as the x flex does this, the s flex does that. Weight plays a considerable part and if memory serves the Miyazakis used on Cleveland Classics were notoriously light, some ridiculously so (one at 39g IIRC).
A heavier x flex will probably give a totally different set of results.
I play a much heavier than standard 85g reg flex thats probably a bit stiffer, overall, than some 50g s flex ones out there. But thats what works for me as the light stiff shafts I find hard to control. Heavy stiff is then too stiff.
Rather than worry about what the wee label says, go with what works.
The head will play some part as they are often designed to perform best with the manufacturer "shaft of choice". Thats not to say that the Miyazaki wouldnt work just as well in the Cobra head.
Sure that one of the proper shaftoid forumers will be along soon to give you a better explanation.
Thanks for the info I believe it is a 64g shaft so pretty middle of the road. Lovely feel though with the XL and I really wanted to like the Cobra more!

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I briefly had a Cleveland ClassicXl in the bag.
I had it in Reg flex,which felt very whippy compared to my G10(also Reg flex).
I felt like I was always fighting to stop it going left.
I ended up selling it & going back to the Ping.
That is the usual symptoms of too weak a flex which is why I am confused but I do accelerate more towards the bottom of my swing, not from the top which I think may be leaving the face open at the bottom with a weaker shaft.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the info I believe it is a 64g shaft so pretty middle of the road. Lovely feel though with the XL and I really wanted to like the Cobra more!

Swap the shafts, see if the head you prefer works with the shaft you prefer. That's how I ended up with the heavier regular flex, just a bit of trial and error (and a bit of epoxy)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
That is the usual symptoms of too weak a flex which is why I am confused but I do accelerate more towards the bottom of my swing, not from the top which I think may be leaving the face open at the bottom with a weaker shaft.

I have no idea tbh.
If I really slowed my swing down I got a nice flight.
But it just didn't feel natural to me.
I would like to try the head with different shaft.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have no idea tbh.
If I really slowed my swing down I got a nice flight.
But it just didn't feel natural to me.
I would like to try the head with different shaft.
Ye I do love the look of the Cleveland but I did not want to swap a £200 club for one that cost £40:D that's golf for ya!

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Swap the shafts, see if the head you prefer works with the shaft you prefer. That's how I ended up with the heavier regular flex, just a bit of trial and error (and a bit of epoxy)
Yes would like to do that actually, would have to swap the adapters over though which is a bit of a pain.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
A push right and a draw are born of the same mother. It seems to me the face angle is where the issue is.
Trying to find the answer in the shafts is Voodoo. We've all been there and it's often a dead end as nobody ever really knows how each shaft reacts, we just get a load of blurb from the manufacturers.

(Insightful but useless, I admit). :)