Composite best 18 GB&I golf holes in this months magazine

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Controversial one, as lots on here hate the place (not me).... But I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 10th at the Belfry.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Have to agree with you pair, everyone else has just blanked your suggestion ;)

Looks a lovely hole on their vid... but (& i'm just wondering not criticising) does it actually serve the correct purpose from an opening hole?

Shouldn't a good opening hole tee shot let the field away in a relatively straightforward manner so that start times remain on schedule

from the warnings on the website it sounds like they have plenty of folk hitting into the sea/beach so doubtless some will venture out onto the sand rather than drop and straightaway things could quickly back-up

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’ll fill in the blanks :rofl:

1) Old Course
2) Royal Aberdeen
3) Dukes, Woburn
4) Castle Stuart
5) Royal St Georges
6) Muirfield
7) Hankley Common
8) Royal Troon (Postage Stamp)
9) Royal County Down
10) Sunningdale (Old)
11) Hillside
12) Wallasey
13) North Berwick
14) Trump Aberdeen
15) Kingsbarns
16) Royal Portrush
17) Old course (road hole)
18) Carnoustie

Val the 4th at CS??? thats not even the best par 3 on the course let alone the UK

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
the 18th @ Notts would be right up there for me in terms of best finishing holes, along with Saunton, Burnham and St Enodoc.

D

Deleted member 17920

Wrecking me head, trying to think of so many holes on so many courses, so I'm gonna do one per day.

Honourable mentions:-

Tough start, but good to look at - S and A's par 3, normally a hybrid for me, 6-7 bunkers surrounding it from memory.

Tough and long - West Lancs - par 4, Bluewolf's driving range on the left, normally into the wind and can be driver 3 wood a lot of the time

Short but tricky - Prestwick - short par 4, maybe even driveable, but train track tight on your left with a cross wind, narrowing fairway up by the green.

Gorgeous setting of whats to come - Swinley Forest - longish left to right par 4,quite wide but uphill all the way for your approach, but what a setting, clubhouse to the right, 18th fairway as well, but towering trees grab the eye as well as the rest of the surrounds.

Wembley Stadium, Wimbledon, Aintree, Twickenham- we cant all play there, but most can play St. Andrews Old course - spine tingling - played it once and birdied it, but a cigar this time.

Castle Stuart views, Royal Liverpool's shall I shant I, Royal Aberdeen's seaward views.

But I'm plumping for

1st hole = Royal County Down - Firstly the setting, mountains of Morne behind you, lovely clubhouse, the sea, the dunes and a par 5 to start with OOB down the right, but hit the fairway and the risk reward is there to go for it in two, or lay up as the fairway narrows and the bunkers close in also up by the green.
Although the 1st at RCD is good nothing but nothing can beat the 1st on the Old Course.

There is nothing like that in golf, I have never felt that buzz on an opening shot whilst playing all the other top courses I have like I did that day I played the Old course.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd throw the 3rd at Castle Stuart into the mix, one of the best green complexes I've seen, great short hole, beautiful location.

14th at Royal Dornoch. Brilliant natural golf hole with a classic Donald Ross signature green.

16th at Dundonald is a great hole.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Maybe that's golf in a nutshell. 1st on the Old Course is an easy par. But its history and significance grabs you by the ears!

Just thinking about the about the absence of Southern Irish Courses....

11th at Hillside is brill... but what about the 11th at Mahoney's Point, Killarney? (I've just googled for pics and I think they've reordered the holes there now too!!! Heck I am getting old! it was the 11th, but it look like its 18 now - Is that right?)

And nothing from Ballybunnion or Lahinch or Tralee? (blimey, it's too long since I was over there... )

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Although the 1st at RCD is good nothing but nothing can beat the 1st on the Old Course.

There is nothing like that in golf, I have never felt that buzz on an opening shot whilst playing all the other top courses I have like I did that day I played the Old course.

I agree, you'll never beat the buzz, but aesthetically doesn't look brilliant, and if it was anywhere else but TOC, wouldn't even feature in the conversation.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd throw the 3rd at Castle Stuart into the mix, one of the best green complexes I've seen, great short hole, beautiful location.

14th at Royal Dornoch. Brilliant natural golf hole with a classic Donald Ross signature green.

16th at Dundonald is a great hole.

Would totally agree with you on 3rd CS great short hole and 14th RD, foxy has to be in. I would also plump for 11th at CS a great par 3 and way better than the 4th, which only really has the veiw of the castle in its favor.

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree, you'll never beat the buzz, but aesthetically doesn't look brilliant, and if it was anywhere else but TOC, wouldn't even feature in the conversation.
But in fairness Pete, all 18 could meet that criteria.

D

Deleted Member 1156

the 18th @ Notts would be right up there for me in terms of best finishing holes, along with Saunton, Burnham and St Enodoc.

All good holes Sam but I think you need to take your Burnham/Saunton blinkers off ;)