Composite best 18 GB&I golf holes in this months magazine

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would totally agree with you on 3rd CS great short hole and 14th RD, foxy has to be in. I would also plump for 11th at CS a great par 3 and way better than the 4th, which only really has the veiw of the castle in its favor.

11th at CS is one of my favourite par 3’s anywhere, 3rd is a cracking short hole

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not loads of 2nd holes jumping out at me.

Considered Royal Dornochs because that is one hard mutha if you miss the green, can understand why some may play to short then hope for an up and down, so in reality a risk/reward par 3???

I cant fully remember Royal Aberdeen's par 5 2nd, but part of a stunning front 9, and cant find a good video for it.

I'm gonna plump for Castle Stuart's par 5. Widish fairway when on a video, but when your standing on the tee and you want to get a long drive away, with a left to right wind in your face, all you can see and feel is the beach on your right. Still wide for the rest of the hole, until you get to the last 50 yards. An infinity-style, small green with the temptation to fade it in of the hollows a real tempter. Get it wrong though and your in the rough sandy areas.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I must be thinking of the 7th.....I think.
It's The first of that stretch of really good holes.
To be fair the par 5 after it is superb too.
In fact I've just changed my mind about the 11th at Hillside... The 8th at Formby is better ;)

The 7th is the one to the blind green.

Think you may mean the 8th - its only a 3 wood (for me) otherwise you go into the lower dip. Only a 7-8 iron into a raised green, with a sloping back to front green.

D

Deleted member 17920

Considered Royal Dornochs because that is one hard mutha if you miss the green, can understand why some may play to short then hope for an up and down, so in reality a risk/reward par 3???

I cant fully remember Royal Aberdeen's par 5 2nd, but part of a stunning front 9, and cant find a good video for it.

I'm gonna plump for Castle Stuart's par 5. Widish fairway when on a video, but when your standing on the tee and you want to get a long drive away, with a left to right wind in your face, all you can see and feel is the beach on your right. Still wide for the rest of the hole, until you get to the last 50 yards. An infinity-style, small green with the temptation to fade it in of the hollows a real tempter. Get it wrong though and your in the rough sandy areas.
Portstewarts 2nd hole is for me better than Royal Aberdeen and Castle Stuart.

D

Deleted member 17920

I knew you would pick somewhere I havent played.

Actually St. Mellion's 2nd is a cracker (for a fader).:D
now with your fade I would love to see you play the 2nd at Portstewart :D

the 2nd at St Mellion is ok but possibly unfair, now the 5th hole is a cracker for a parkland course

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 7th is the one to the blind green.

Think you may mean the 8th - its only a 3 wood (for me) otherwise you go into the lower dip. Only a 7-8 iron into a raised green, with a sloping back to front green.

8th is a great hole, risk and reward. Good driver over the hill leaves a short iron to an elevated green. Tee shot to the top of the hill leaves a solid 7-8 iron to a partially hidden green.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Dornoch's is a hard up and down if you miss the green but not a particularly great hole to my mind. Especially of you are limiting the number of par 3s - there are so many candidates you could just about do this exercise to produce a par 3 course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Portsallon 2nd hole is a peach. looks different every time due to how far in or out the tide is.

great views off the tee. trying to work out how much of the corner to bite off. if the wind is into it can be a 3 wood second or forced lay up.

handy enuf bogey. can be brutally hard to par.

always enjoy playing it but hate that its so early in the round.

[video=youtube;b4Pgim-gBaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Pgim-gBaY[/video]

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
8th is a great hole, risk and reward. Good driver over the hill leaves a short iron to an elevated green. Tee shot to the top of the hill leaves a solid 7-8 iron to a partially hidden green.

Yep, cracking hole and framed by the majestic trees as well. Very tough green to 2-putt on, as well.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dornoch's is a hard up and down if you miss the green but not a particularly great hole to my mind. Especially of you are limiting the number of par 3s - there are so many candidates you could just about do this exercise to produce a par 3 course.

I'm not limiting par for my choices though, Kaz - just picking my favourite no.2's (so to speak).

I love par 5's though, so may end up with a par of 90.:D

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 3-4 holes either side are good or very good, but I think this is the runt of the litter.

I prefer the par 3 which for me starts that run.

It’s a good break after the 8th and 9th which are both tough

I don’t because I’ve never played it well in 6 attempts :rofl:

The 2 holes previous to it are very good too, short par 4 5th with a well guarded green and the dog leg par 5 4th, cut the corner good and the green is on in 2

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep, cracking hole and framed by the majestic trees as well. Very tough green to 2-putt on, as well.

Actually I’m miss counting the holes back, that’s the 7th, the 8th is the par 5 up to the green in the corner, SI 1. It’s a belter. So the run from the par 5 3rd through to the par 3 10th are sublime.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Actually I’m miss counting the holes back, that’s the 7th, the 8th is the par 5 up to the green in the corner, SI 1. It’s a belter. So the run from the par 5 3rd through to the par 3 10th are sublime.

Yep, correct.

Are you trying to tempt me into further waxing lyrical about Formby - you japester, japester you.:D