Composite best 18 GB&I golf holes in this months magazine

D

Deleted member 1147

I have a particular love for long, tough par 4’s.
Some favourites being: 3 @ Westhill, 5 @ Camberley, 13 @ Forest of Arden, 18 @ the Belfry, 12 @ Swinley & 13 @ Hillside 16 @ Royal Porthcawl

Any spaces for any of those?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a particular love for long, tough par 4’s.
Some favourites being: 3 @ Westhill, 5 @ Camberley, 13 @ Forest of Arden, 18 @ the Belfry, 12 @ Swinley & 13 @ Hillside 16 @ Royal Porthcawl

Any spaces for any of those?

12th @ Swinley is a great hole!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not loads of 2nd holes jumping out at me.

Considered Royal Dornochs because that is one hard mutha if you miss the green, can understand why some may play to short then hope for an up and down, so in reality a risk/reward par 3???

I cant fully remember Royal Aberdeen's par 5 2nd, but part of a stunning front 9, and cant find a good video for it.

I'm gonna plump for Castle Stuart's par 5. Widish fairway when on a video, but when your standing on the tee and you want to get a long drive away, with a left to right wind in your face, all you can see and feel is the beach on your right. Still wide for the rest of the hole, until you get to the last 50 yards. An infinity-style, small green with the temptation to fade it in of the hollows a real tempter. Get it wrong though and your in the rough sandy areas.

which par 5 at CS are you describing here?? sounds like the 2nd but confused with the other descriptions?? left to right wind in your face and small green, the 2nd is pretty sheltered and the green is huge . 6th or 12 maybe?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not loads of 2nd holes jumping out at me.

Considered Royal Dornochs because that is one hard mutha if you miss the green, can understand why some may play to short then hope for an up and down, so in reality a risk/reward par 3???

I cant fully remember Royal Aberdeen's par 5 2nd, but part of a stunning front 9, and cant find a good video for it.

I'm gonna plump for Castle Stuart's par 5. Widish fairway when on a video, but when your standing on the tee and you want to get a long drive away, with a left to right wind in your face, all you can see and feel is the beach on your right. Still wide for the rest of the hole, until you get to the last 50 yards. An infinity-style, small green with the temptation to fade it in of the hollows a real tempter. Get it wrong though and your in the rough sandy areas.

Not completely followed the thread but the 2nd at my old place Baildon is a beauty. Signature hole on the course, 165y from the whites, 140y from the yellow. Tee to green across the old quarry, steep banking protecting the green and anything long your chip back onto the green over smaller banking. Tough par 3, a beast in the wind but such a fantastic looking hole.

*Can't put a pic on for some reason!!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
which par 5 at CS are you describing here?? sounds like the 2nd but confused with the other descriptions?? left to right wind in your face and small green, the 2nd is pretty sheltered and the green is huge . 6th or 12 maybe?

Yeah was on about the 2nd, although going from memories of 3-4 years ago.

I know there were the big dunes/cliffs on the left but the wind still found its way down when we played it. As a fader, you mainly see the beach in your minds eye, believe me.

I may be getting the green mixed up with the driveable par 4, which had quick and steep run-offs.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah was on about the 2nd, although going from memories of 3-4 years ago.

I know there were the big dunes/cliffs on the left but the wind still found its way down when we played it. As a fader, you mainly see the beach in your minds eye, believe me.

I may be getting the green mixed up with the driveable par 4, which had quick and steep run-offs.

Right, I think they are man made banks on that side, hence why is all slipped down the first year the Scottish Open was there. Prevailing wind should be in to you on the front 9, apart from the odd day where Easterly is the next option then maybe in winter a Northerly or Southerly, but only really in winter on the whole.

The 3rd has what they call an Infinity green (what ever thats supposed to mean?) long, thin and Raised. Thats why its a great risk reward hole.... though i don't know anyone that takes the risk and goes for it:rofl::rofl:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right, I think they are man made banks on that side, hence why is all slipped down the first year the Scottish Open was there. Prevailing wind should be in to you on the front 9, apart from the odd day where Easterly is the next option then maybe in winter a Northerly or Southerly, but only really in winter on the whole.

The 3rd has what they call an Infinity green (what ever thats supposed to mean?) long, thin and Raised. Thats why its a great risk reward hole.... though i don't know anyone that takes the risk and goes for it:rofl::rofl:

The 3rd also had them "eyelets" iirc - great innovation, would like to see them on more courses.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not read it all but 2nd hole?

Royal Lytham and move on :thup:

The only problem I have with Royal Lytham is that I cant remember the individual holes between the 1st (par 3) and is it the 7 th (par 4, just before the 8th), as they all meld into one. Only played it once, but cant remember them individually as all in the same direction and with the OOB on the right.