Composite best 18 GB&I golf holes in this months magazine

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've not read the article yet, and just scanned which courses they picked, without trying to look at the holes picked (although did see no.18).

I'm going to try and pick my own, before I read it properly.

Any thoughts, or massive mistakes/oversights made by the chaps from GM towers? I'm sure there are.....;)

D

Deleted member 23270

Disappointed to see that some of the holes are from non links courses :whistle:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It would have been more complicated, but i would have liked hole 1 to be a hole 1, and so on. Not pick a random hole to be an arbitrary number choice.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Very much enjoy this sort of list. Crossfield et al did a Greatest 18 recently where they played 18 holes from 18 different courses in Andalucia. Say what you will about Crossfield, it was a brilliant series. Hopefully they'll do similar ones in other locations.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Disappointed to see that some of the holes are from non links courses :whistle:

Blasphemy, blasphemy? Can't be proper list then, can it? :rofl:

Maybe next time they could do a 1-18 Links, 1-18 Parkland, 1-18 Heathland / Moorland. Afterwards we could vote on which one we would prefer to play.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Maybe we should try to put together a forum 'dream 18' but as Val says the holes have to be in the correct sequence.

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe we should try to put together a forum 'dream 18' but as Val says the holes have to be in the correct sequence.
I’ll start :)

1st - The Old Course, walking in the footprints of the world’s greatest golfers, not the toughest, just the start of a journey.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No problem with either Old Course or Gleneagles as stated, but how about Royal Porthcawl's first? Slightly elevated drive, you can see much of the course spread out in front of you. You drive over the 18th Fairway which adds to the drama, there are slopes, bunkers and the sea right next to you. There's lovely!!

And, as you walk from the car park, you get a tantalising view of the hole from between the lovely old clubhouse and pro shop!

Oh, and the second.... follows the shoreline to a difficult green right next to the beach OB!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1418

I haven't experienced anything that matched the feeling of standing on the 1st tee of TOC - hairs on the back of the neck still stand on end when thinking about it.

Another opening hole that ranks right up there is Saunton East - 460+ yards, teeing off over some small dunes to a fairway moving slightly from left to right and then playing your second into an hour glass shaped green with bunkers left and right. A beast if into the wind.