13) North Berwick
14) Trump Aberdeen
15) Kingsbarns
16) Royal Portrush
17) Old course (road hole)
18) Carnoustie

D

Deleted member 1418

Marquess half-way luxury lodge is fantastic! 19th Royal St Georges and RCP are top notch. And then can highly recommend a night touring the Jigger Inn, 1 Golf Place and Dunvegan......well from what I can remember!! 😂

D

Deleted member 15344

Get out of it, Sunningdale every time.
Wasn’t that impressed with the one at Sunningdale- way over priced and didn’t think the food was anything special - prefer the one at RCP to Sunningdale but Marquess is the best one I have been in

D

Deleted member 15344

17th at St Andrews isn't a golf hole, wouldn't even be entertained nowadays. Micky Mouse stuff.

It’s a hole on a golf course Craw so surely that makes it a “golf hole” and one of the most iconic holes in golf. As Ian has already said there is no right or wrong answer

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s a hole on a golf course Craw so surely that makes it a “golf hole” and one of the most iconic holes in golf. As Ian has already said there is no right or wrong answer

It’s iconic but I think most would agree there are better 17th holes than it. Royal Birkdale, has a better 17th as does Carnoustie

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s iconic but I think most would agree there are better 17th holes than it. Royal Birkdale, has a better 17th as does Carnoustie

I’m guessing it depends on what your criteria is when judging the hole - what’s a more frightening prospect for example, would suspect a lot more would find fear in standing on the tee on the 17th at TOC or even still in the fairway but obviously the burn meandering around the 17th at Carnoustie makes it a brute but I don’t think there is a wrong answer and if making a dream 18 the 17th at OC would be in most

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few more alternatives

1) Old Course

2) Royal Aberdeen
3) Dukes, Woburn
4) Castle Stuart
5) Royal St Georges, Sunningdale New, Woodhall Spa
6) Muirfield
7) Hankley Common, Royal St Georges
8) Royal Troon (Postage Stamp)
9) Royal County Down
10) Sunningdale (Old), St George's Hill, Royal St Georges
11) Hillside, Bearwood Lakes
12) Wallasey, Swinley Forest
13) North Berwick
14) Trump Aberdeen, hankley Common
15) Kingsbarns
16) Royal Portrush
17) Old course (road hole), Parkstone
18) Carnoustie
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...his-months-magazine/page2#rh3qpoKbiUzmiREH.99

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You mean they didn't even ask your opinion before they did it? That's shocking from Royal Portrush!

Dreadful. Who can you rely on these days? 😁

I wonder what yardage and par that list is now?

Scratching my head for "conspicuous by its absence " ....nothing from Walton Heath? Is the split fairway par 5 at Woburn Marquis great or a gimmick? Also, I really rate the 17th at Burnham...great par 3.

So many courses, so little time!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wrecking me head, trying to think of so many holes on so many courses, so I'm gonna do one per day.

Honourable mentions:-

Tough start, but good to look at - S and A's par 3, normally a hybrid for me, 6-7 bunkers surrounding it from memory.

Tough and long - West Lancs - par 4, Bluewolf's driving range on the left, normally into the wind and can be driver 3 wood a lot of the time

Short but tricky - Prestwick - short par 4, maybe even driveable, but train track tight on your left with a cross wind, narrowing fairway up by the green.

Gorgeous setting of whats to come - Swinley Forest - longish left to right par 4,quite wide but uphill all the way for your approach, but what a setting, clubhouse to the right, 18th fairway as well, but towering trees grab the eye as well as the rest of the surrounds.

Wembley Stadium, Wimbledon, Aintree, Twickenham- we cant all play there, but most can play St. Andrews Old course - spine tingling - played it once and birdied it, but a cigar this time.

Castle Stuart views, Royal Liverpool's shall I shant I, Royal Aberdeen's seaward views.

But I'm plumping for

1st hole = Royal County Down - Firstly the setting, mountains of Morne behind you, lovely clubhouse, the sea, the dunes and a par 5 to start with OOB down the right, but hit the fairway and the risk reward is there to go for it in two, or lay up as the fairway narrows and the bunkers close in also up by the green.

D

Deleted member 1740

I’ll fill in the blanks :rofl:

1) Old Course
2) Royal Aberdeen
3) Dukes, Woburn
4) Castle Stuart
5) Royal St Georges
6) Muirfield
7) Hankley Common
8) Royal Troon (Postage Stamp)
9) Royal County Down
10) Sunningdale (Old)
11) Hillside
12) Wallasey
13) North Berwick
14) Trump Aberdeen
15) Kingsbarns
16) Royal Portrush
17) Old course (road hole)
18) Carnoustie

Expected a Formby hole or 3:D

D

Deleted member 1740

Oh and if we’re adding halfway huts Coombe Hill Has to be up there, better than the famous Sunningdale.