Complete Beginner

DanJen79

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I’ve decided I’m finally going to actually attempt to play golf and was just after a bit of advice really.

I managed to come across 2 old sets of irons that I got for £15 and wondered if you think either would be suitable for a total beginner. One is an old set of Callaway X-14s and the other is a set of Nicklaus Polarity MTRs. The Nicklaus ones seem to be in pretty good condition, but the Callaway ones I think would need to be regripped at some point if anyone thinks they would be worth using...or are they too old? I’m not keen on spending too much at the moment, as if it turns out I can’t get the hang of it, then it would seem a bit of a waste of money.

The other thing was, I’ve provisionally booked myself into a group beginner lesson (4 lessons over 4 weeks for £40). Do you think that is a good way to go, or would one-to-ones be more sensible? I just thought the group one may give me the opportunity to meet like-minded folk just starting out too.

Any general beginners advice would be appreciated too of course.

Thanks,

Dan.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Firstly, welcome to the forum! I have no idea about those clubs so can't really comment. With regard to the lessons, I would personally say that you would be better off spending £40-50 on 2 one-to-one lessons with a local professional. I've been at the range before whilst these group lessons take place and from what I could say, there's no real coaching. i.e. the pro will demonstrate something, then everyone else will try to do it at the same time whilst the pro just walk around and observes. Obviously thats just my opinion, and maybe someone else on here has a different experience of group lessons?

Good luck with the golf, and let us know how it goes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Old they may be, but I think the X-14s will be absolutely fine as beginner irons. From what I can tell they were very forgiving game improver irons and that's what you want. As you rightly say, no point splashing out on new clubs then later deciding it's not the game for you. They will be fine.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The x14s were a great club, much better than the Nicklaus ones I'd suggest, get them regripped and you've got a good set.

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty new to the forum as well. But I've recently just gone through a Get into Golf program that my local club ran. It started with a block of 4 lessons group lessons over 4 weeks, but the group size was limited to 4-5 people. It worked quite well, although I had previous playing experience it was a pretty good taster session into where I was going wrong.
Following on from the group lessons we then got a discount on 6 hours of lessons (essentially a 2 for 1 deal) and range membership.

From conversations with other people it seems that one of the stumbling blocks to getting into golf can often be the lack of playing partner. So being part of a group might be a way to get to know other people in exactly the same boat as you. Which will be useful if at least one other person is going to move forward in taking up the game in more depth as they could become a playing partner so you aren't in a position of being a lone player/new member.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The X14s should be fine provided they are not X14 pros and the shafts are regular and not stiff (I cannot remember for sure but around that time Callaway offered uniflex shafts as well).

At the end of the day find out how much to regrip and decide if it is better to buy the set which do not need regripping purely on value. Nicklaus tend to be well designed just do not have the kudos compared to Callaway.

Group lessons are fine to start with.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Explain such logic for me please ?

When I first started to play golf the Pro sold all newcomers clubs A flex shafts, served me well. The X14s came with True Temper Dynamic Gold as standard. In modern terms this is quite a heavy shaft and requires good swing speed to get the most out of them. The stiffs in this shaft are meant for those with a swing speed (irons) of over 90 mph. Not something most beginners would have coupled with the necessary accuracy ability to hit the ball cleanly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Either set would seem appropriate.

The X14s are better known in UK, but the Nicklaus ones are certainly aimed at the same market - and have very good reviews!

In the 'Welcome to the Forum' spirit, I have an unused set of grips that i'm happy to send to you if you want them! They've been parked in my 'waiting to be installed' cupboard for quite a while now! Not sure whether that wait has meant they are no longer any good, but you are certainly welcome to them if you want! PM me if you want them.

Group lessons are fine for dipping your toes into the game without spending a great deal, but I believe a (subsequent) dedicated session is far better value overall. and Pros often do deals for a series of lessons, which I believe is the 'best' value, too. Just remember that you are the 'Driver' of the process! It seems to me that many Pros are a bit too much 'salesman' oriented, too much 'sales/profit orientated' as opposed to a 'customer development' one! In other words, don't be afraid to be pretty demanding about what you expect (a development plan provided by the Pro would be a great tool), but be prepared to put considerable work in to practice what the lessons show! Golf is a rather demanding 'skill'!

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the mad world of golf, I just really took it up last year and one on one lessons were worth the money, group lessons were quite poor as a beginner you wiill need more attention on your swing ect, as for the cally irons they are fine regrip if needed and swing away, you will replace then soon don't worry about that, and enjoy yourself don't take it to serious and have fun, lot of good advice here and elsewhere

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When I first started to play golf the Pro sold all newcomers clubs A flex shafts, served me well. The X14s came with True Temper Dynamic Gold as standard. In modern terms this is quite a heavy shaft and requires good swing speed to get the most out of them. The stiffs in this shaft are meant for those with a swing speed (irons) of over 90 mph. Not something most beginners would have coupled with the necessary accuracy ability to hit the ball cleanly.

That must have been quite a while ago! Shaft optimisation has moved on a long way since that time, even for such luddite Pros - though there is an argument that softer flex encourages a 'better', if slower, swing! Unfortunately, that 'slow' swing speed is very difficult to subsequently increase, except for VERY young players, so I'd recommend any 20-ish + newbie swings as hard as possible, while keeping balance! Control WILL come!

DanJen79

Visit site
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Thank you all for you welcoming and informative replies...I’ll let you all know how I get on with everything.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So it seems there’s mixed views on the group lesson, but I’m hoping it will at least give me a taste of what I’m letting myself in for and who knows, I may find a playing partner in the process. I do think I would follow it up with some one-to-ones afterwards though if I do feel its for me. I’m ridiculously excited to get going![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Regarding the clubs, they’re not the X-14 pro (at least it doesn’t say it anywhere on the clubs) and the shafts on the Callaways are the original graphite regular flex ones...the same type (but rifle ones) are on the Nicklaus ones. I have noticed that the Nicklaus clubs seem lighter...does this effect anything in any way for a beginner? It sounds like the general consensus though would be to give the Callaways a go for a while to start with.[/FONT][/FONT]

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. I would definitely plump for the Callaway over the Nicklaus. As a kid many, many moons ago I started by going to group lessons for an hour per day for a week of the summer holidays. It was an adequate introduction and we got an over view of the basics, hit some balls and then the pro would come and tweak each players swing from there. As a starting point, I think group lessons are ok. If you get the bug and want to get more proficient, then you can look at individual lessons and upgrading the grips on the Callaway's. Enjoy and stick around and ask as many questions as you like

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Fair enough but you are telling someone to get a particular type of shaft over another despite the fact (I presume) you have never seen him swing a club, just just seems crazy advice to me.

DanJen79

Visit site
Is there any particular articles anybody would advise reading, videos to watch, or any general advice anybody would give before I start any type of lesson? There’s so much information on the internet it’s so difficult to know where to start.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Be careful of advice, opinions are a different thing, I'd be particularly careful of taking certain advice on here, your problem will be you won't know what is good advice and what is rubbish.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are going for lessons then stick to the advice you get from the pro. Make sure you ask them what you need to practice between lessons and stay with that for now.

DanJen79

Visit site
I think you’re probably right...best not to confuse myself with lots of conflicting advice from lots of different sources. A lesson...practice....another lesson...practice. I’m looking forward to the Summer this year...I’ve got six weeks off, so plenty of free time to get all the practice in!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would also go for the Callaways, not because I like Callaway but because they were a forgiving iron that will help with your enjoyment but also because they will be easier to sell on if and when you decide to change irons.
As for the group lessons, go for it and enjoy. Just listen to the pro and go with what he says.
Enjoy it, and have fun.