Complete Beginner

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Calloway x14 clubs were very good when they were first introduced get new grips and they will be fine for a starter set , upgrade when you improve, good luck but beware it's addictive.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Big thumbs up for me for taking lessons early were to avoid getting any bad swing habits which could either increase the risk of injury, or make it very hard to improve a few years down the line. Sounds like people rate the clubs you got so thumbs up there :)

I started back in October and the experience I had with group lessons was that they were really not good enough, i think in part because the coach hadn't got the time to really think about what they are trying to get you to do. Bought some 1 to 1 lessons and really honestly the best thing ever. I don't think they've helped me scoring that much, but they really have helped me enjoy my rounds alot more. Biggest mistake I think i've made so far which i'd want to undone is buying range balls 100 at a time, feel that i've got more out of my range time by using just 25 at a time and thinking about them.

good luck and enjoy it, lots of good and helpful folks on here.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Big thumbs up for me for taking lessons early were to avoid getting any bad swing habits which could either increase the risk of injury, or make it very hard to improve a few years down the line. Sounds like people rate the clubs you got so thumbs up there :)

I started back in October and the experience I had with group lessons was that they were really not good enough, i think in part because the coach hadn't got the time to really think about what they are trying to get you to do. Bought some 1 to 1 lessons and really honestly the best thing ever. I don't think they've helped me scoring that much, but they really have helped me enjoy my rounds alot more. Biggest mistake I think i've made so far which i'd want to undone is buying range balls 100 at a time, feel that i've got more out of my range time by using just 25 at a time and thinking about them.

good luck and enjoy it, lots of good and helpful folks on here.

Sound logic!

DanJen79

Visit site
I can understand why the group lessons will never be as good as one-to-ones, but I still think I’ll go with it...fingers crossed I get in a reasonably small group, so get a bit more attention than maybe some others on here have experienced.

I just want to enjoy the experience to start with...learning is so much easier when you enjoy what you’re doing!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This you boasting about your natural talent cabby 

Not at all, I just constantly read folk on here telling others "get a lesson" all I'm saying is, it's not always the answer, it may well be for some, possibly most but not everyone.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not at all, I just constantly read folk on here telling others "get a lesson" all I'm saying is, it's not always the answer, it may well be for some, possibly most but not everyone.

And you know this because......!

It does, however, depend on the quality/attitude of the Pro/purveyor of the lesson! And the attitude/expectation of the pupil! Geting the 'best' match of those 2 approaches is a communication issue! Even the top Pros/Teachers have 'problems' finding the right balance!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And you know this because......!

err....because I've never had one :rolleyes: I thought I'd already answered that :mmm:

Probably another example of someone thinking what they are reading than actually reading what is being said.

Anyway, lessons, crack on, can't do any harm I guess. :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
err....because I've never had one :rolleyes: I thought I'd already answered that :mmm:

So you are not actually in a position to give an 'informed' opinion; but you still give an 'uninformed' one! :rolleyes:

Sure, it'd not always the answer, but it's probably the best of the many options, especially for a newbie!

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Go for a group lesson and get the feel for it! Like you said, meet some people in the same boat and it might be less pressure than a one to one. Im sure you'll catch the bug and when you do then go to the pro for a 1-1 lesson. Will help stop the bad habits before they start creeping in. If you get a good relationship with them might help in the group lessons if they continue as you'll be familiar and might get a bit of teachers pet treatment ;) Enjoy it

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Fair enough but you are telling someone to get a particular type of shaft over another despite the fact (I presume) you have never seen him swing a club, just just seems crazy advice to me.

Doesn't to me.
Best to start with a "regular" shaft and go from there.
I can think of nothing worse than too stiff a shaft in a club to put a beginner off.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Probably another example of someone thinking what they are reading than actually reading what is being said.

Anyway, lessons, crack on, can't do any harm I guess. :thup:

after last weeks performance Stuart, maybe you should:rofl:

maybe the squirrels will even club together and pay for it:clap:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
OP, there's nowt wrong with those Nicklaus clubs either, I had a similar set and found them a great learner club (they don't target or have their name all over the tour pros so much less known (as a club brand) and therefore they'll be cheaper new or used than the well known brands)
When I got mine one of the things I found out was these clubs were designed by a guy called Clay Long who among others has also designed clubs for Cobra & Taylormade and made a set of irons for Nicklaus himself that were good enough to win the Masters, so he knows his stuff

Have fun

Heck they might even be better than the x14's by about 3 years worth of R&D

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site

I agree with that to a certain extent for me lessons were just a piece of mind to see if I was doing the correct things, I could hit the ball well before but since the lesson I have definitely improved, 2 guys I know play off low scores and have never had lessons,

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife had the group lessons when she started out.

All they really were was the pro teaching the very basics, grip, stance, posture, then building from half swing - 3/4 swing to full swing. Then some putting and chipping.

It is very basic stuff, but to succeed at golf you will need to have the basics down.

Are they as good as 1-1 lessons absolutely not. But are they valuable for your game definitely. Why spend £20-30 per hour at the very start where the pro is just going to get you to practice grip, stance, posture and backswing. Get those fairly comfortable in the group lessons and then you can go from there.

Both sets of clubs will be absolutely fine for you starting out, if the bug gets you, you will probably want an upgrade reasonably soon anyway.

My one tip would be to not neglect your short game. A lot of beginners I see focus so much on their driver and irons so the extent that it take them four shots to get in the hole from greenside. Just make sure to dedicate some practice time to your putting and chipping it will give you lower scores quite quickly and will set you up nicely for the long run when your long game comes on.

Welcome to the game and good luck

DanJen79

Visit site
Heck they might even be better than the x14's by about 3 years worth of R&D

I did wonder about this, purely from what I can find online, the X14s we’re released in 2000? and the Nicklaus ones about 2008?

I guess as I have both sets already, there’d be no harm in giving both a go and see which ones I feel more comfortable with? Sometimes though, I guess a big name brand will often provide the user with more confidence?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting back into Golf I chose group lessons, they were brilliant as I just needed a tweak here and there.

I enjoyed them and would recommend, if you can spare the time then it’s worth it to try.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Op - the best advice I can give you is to use your life skills to discern what advice/info you receive here and elsewhere to give any credit to. Within forums there will always be conflict and it's important you are able to quickly identify posts which are more focused on and influenced by participant's own personal history with others than it will ever be on answering your question.

Either iron is fine for a beginner, but I will side with X14's as the majority does. Don't ignore the majority. They are right more often than wrong. Group lessons can do no harm but will offer little of substance to your swing problems/strengths. If like me your in the game for fun and don't care much about scores/competing then no need for lessons. Enjoy yourself. If you do care about said things then absolutely get individual lessons. With the right teacher they are the foundations of success going forward.

There's exceptions to every rule, however encouraging anyone to follow the exceptional path is truly fool hardy