Competition Qualifying Cards

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've noticed that some opens are asking for the above to collect prizes. After a check on the WHS app, nothing indicates if the score was in a comp. So do they mean an actual comp or just have you registered x amount of scores on the app? Anyone know? Just I'm looking around at the mo, and not that we have won any but we have come close so wouldn't want to miss out on a technicality.....again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think handicap secs can see behind the scenes and view how many of your counting scores are from comps and how many are GP. Some clubs want a decent number of comp cards, how many is up to them. You need to know the answer to that.

I've noticed that for 2024 every open asks for the CDH number of every player when booking. In the past it was only some clubs asked for those upfront, the others asked after if you were in a prize winning spot.

I haven't come across this yet up here but I have heard other people on here quoting it before. I understand why but equally, if they want you to put a card in for every round, this could be a disincentive.

D-S

Visit site
Comp cards are marked with a grey C and GP scores with a green G on the WHS portal when you look at a player's record -so very easy to see how many of each over a set period of time.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I look at my EG app dashboard all I see is a raft of cards of which the latest 20 have 8 highlighted in green...they could be either..

In our posts, D-S and I were pointing out where you could go to see if scores were Competition or General Play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is something I would be pleased to see.

The winners of our 3 ball Open had not played in a single comp, all their cards were GP ones.

wjemather

Visit site
Why don't your club do it? I thought all did now.
Many don't.
It doesn't achieve anything useful, and certainly doesn't filter out players with falsely high handicaps - which is presumably the goal. The idea that competition scores are less easily manipulated is a fantasy.

badgergm

Visit site
Many don't.
It doesn't achieve anything useful, and certainly doesn't filter out players with falsely high handicaps - which is presumably the goal. The idea that competition scores are less easily manipulated is a fantasy.
Might not be easier, but might be more likely. That seems to be the thought by the authorities for manipulating low handicaps - why not for high?

D-S

Visit site
Might not be easier, but might be more likely. That seems to be the thought by the authorities for manipulating low handicaps - why not for high?
I think it is not as convenient and slightly more expensive to manipulate your handicap via competitions rather than GP scores but still eminently doable. It remains true that the best way to alter your handicap is by putting more cards in rather than less.