Competition prizes

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm sure this has been done before so apologies if so. Just wondering what prizes your clubs give for comps? Does anyone give cash? (I know the rules).

Thanks in advance

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Normal comps have a matrix of payouts, always less than the comp fees collected, which are credited to members club cards. This includes 2s payouts, which are nominal. Winner also gets an item of embroidered clothing as 'Comp Winner'
Major comps may include additional prizes, of the standard golf equipment type (exchangeable at the shop etc)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played an invitation 4bbb on Saturday, prizes were paid in vouchers to visitors, members were paid onto their cards i presume :D:confused: .
1st £100 each
2nd £ 75 "
3rd £ 60 "
4th £ 40 "
5th £ 30 "
6th £ 25 "
7th £ 20 "
8th £ 15 "
plus nearest 3 pin prizes

Cost £20 a pair including a £2.50 voucher each for food or drink.
IMO the prizes are a bit high, considering it's supposed to be an invitation fun day, also had a bar and a BBQ set up out on the course.

Last edited:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We usually get paid in vouchers into your account in the Pro shop. You can also use this to pay for your annual golf fees.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ours is always club shop vouchers. Apparantly one of the PGAs paid for the shop and range to be covered. As part of that deal. He gets the takings from clubs and clothing etc, plus what the driving range makes. However the peasants are revolting. They say they should get a choice if the money can be spent in bar etc.
Even the twos which is £1 cash is paid in vouchers.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Cash from the money we put in that morning. Payouts usually on the top 3 and any 2s scored. Bottle(s) of wine for nearest the pin(s).

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Usually vouchers which are valid for both the pro shop or the bar/restaurant, normally between 10 and 50 €, unless the comp is sponsored by someone, then the sponsor usually provides the prizes. We have one series at the moment where the sponsor is a travel agency, so the prizes are travel vouchers. Greenfee vouchers for courses in the neighbourhood are also quite common. We used to have one comp where the sponsor was an electronics store and people actually won tv sets or stereos, but unfortunately, the sponsor is not doing that anymore.

It is also possible to donate the amount of the pro shop/bar vouchers to the junior section of our club and some players regularly do that (I don't ... I'm too cheap and I don't win often enough :oops:)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dunno, haven't won 'owt yet at my new place, and the way I'm playing (a steady 87-89 everytime) looks as though I'll not find out this year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Prizes I've had are:
Ping golf jumper with golf club badge on it.
A glass tumbler with club badge on it. (Have never used it.)
Shot glasses with club badge. (Haven't used them yet.)
A bag towel with club badge.
Couple of sleeves of ProV1s (which I don't even use but was offered them or Srixon Soft Feels so no brainer :LOL: ).
A fiver.

I know they also give vouchers for the nearby golf shop Complete Golfer in some comps. Someone also won a bag to keep practise balls in recently. There is an optional sweep you can enter as well so you win cash from that, but I never bother with it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
usually in the form of an SGU Voucher which can exchanged for goods at the club and pro shops across Scotland.

Prize for our open is £350 which i can only assume is a voucher too

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Competition at my club recently had one of the top prizes for the best away player as a years membership at the club.

Interesting idea. Doesn't really cost the club much in terms of cash and potentially decent value for the winner.
I doubt this will be something that gains the club a member after the year, but even if the winner decided to come back with a guest and play once a month - it's worth a reasonable amount of money.

Obviously unfortunate in the unlikely event the winner has travelled a big distance to play.

But I always see prizes at these things as golf bags and I think how few people would really need or value that.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All our prizes for our weekly comps are paid in Golfing Union of Ireland vouchers which can be exchanged at any golf store in Ireland (Pro shops and normal golf shops like AG).

These depend on the entry fees gained. Normally first place is around £50 but I did win an open once which paid £80.

Our 2's fund goes straight into our proshop account.

You get the odd board comps where the prizes are sponsored either by a company or a person, for example Captains day the prizes are all provided by the Captain and these are his choice. This year the main prize was a Garmin S60 watch.

I like the fact the prizes are GUI vouchers as can be used anywhere. I once played an away open and came 3rd. I won 25 euro in their pro shop but it was about a 2 hour drive each way to the club. Luckily a friend of mine was going past about 6 months later and called in and got me 2 sleeves of prov1's.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All pay outs are in cash, no idea what the split is meant to be. Think it just depends on how many enter. Some bigger comps are paid out in scottish golf union vouchers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally pro shop card.
I did win the captains prize in 2017 he asked me what I wanted as a prize up to £120.
I said “can I be cheeky and have US dollars” as I was off on a golf hol later that month.
He presented me with an origami golfer made of Dollars it was awesome.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All club comps are paid out in pro vouchers (although these can now be transferred to the bar/food account). It is only things like Captains Day etc where there will be prizes usually supplied via the pro shop. We also have a swindle going on for each comp and while the club pays top 3 per division (unless its honours board when its top 3) the swindle pays in cash for top 3 only

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pro shop credit.

other prizes as donations or sponsorship, never cash.

As you say you know the rules and anybody accepting cash puts their Amateur status at risk. The onus being on the player and not the club.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers for the replies, I did find a thread on this but it was a while ago so I thought it would be better to get the latest info.

My reason for asking was, like most we get vouchers for a local shop but they are poor at getting it onto the account so it takes about 3 weeks. I was going to suggest to the committee to look at alternatives.

Interesting that someone has said cash is paid out, I'd very much prefer that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the replies, I did find a thread on this but it was a while ago so I thought it would be better to get the latest info.

My reason for asking was, like most we get vouchers for a local shop but they are poor at getting it onto the account so it takes about 3 weeks. I was going to suggest to the committee to look at alternatives.

Interesting that someone has said cash is paid out, I'd very much prefer that.

The club is allowed to let you use the money for Golf Club 'costs'. At one time where I play half the money went to the Pro shop and half was given as a bar voucher.