Competition fees

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Competition entry is in cash, winnings are paid out on your club card. Your card can be used for pro-shop purchases, buggy hire, bar food and drink. Cannot be used to pay future comp entries because the competitions are all organised by the committee (which is functionally separate from the club business) who need to fund their own "operating costs".

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like your handicap is wrong, a series of 0.1 increases isn't going to do enough to help. Maybe ask for a review?

Under the new world system the answer would be to play more competitions so the average accurately reflects your ability.

It is for where I am now. My last place it went up and up each season until that one day.....you play proper golf for 18 holes and....back down to where I am now. Current place I cannot get even close to 36 points let alone winning, and don't start me on medals. My best was a comp off yellows I cam in with 37. Whites? Forget it, and I have.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The requirement to play 3 comps a year is not to keep your handicap it is to give you competition status which enables you to enter comps. This all ends this year anyway.

Where I play you could not get a game every other Monday morning unless you play in the comp. Seniors Mondays comps are virtually always oversubscribed. Mind you all you have to do is get one two in the round and you get the entry fee back.

No more three comp thing then? How will it be monitored?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No more three comp thing then? How will it be monitored?

It will be up to each club how they set the terms of their competitions.

The 3 cards to keep your handicap disappeared a very long time ago. Maybe in the long run CONGU etc may bring this back in.

If you have only done the minimum of 3 each year it is going to take a long time for you to have a true handicap under the WHS. This does not meany you have to play in comps because you can submit a Supplementary Score every time you play.

sunshine

Visit site
It is for where I am now. My last place it went up and up each season until that one day.....you play proper golf for 18 holes and....back down to where I am now. Current place I cannot get even close to 36 points let alone winning, and don't start me on medals. My best was a comp off yellows I cam in with 37. Whites? Forget it, and I have.

If you cannot even get close to 36 points off the whites in competition conditions then your handicap is clearly wrong, and you should ask for a review.

Howdidido analysed their data a couple of years ago to understand how often golfers play to their handicap. The results varied by category and format, but overall golfers made buffer 31% of the time in stableford.

Visit site
In my club in Italy we pay entry fees by cash - we don't have club cards etc
There are never any cash prizes - just trophies, wine and golf stuff. I'm not sure if cash prizes are legal in Italy
We also have comp sponsors who provide prizes - incl salami and prosecco
In most comps we gave 1st and 2nd prizes overall and by category and gender - plus nearest the pins + sometimes longest drive
I've won or received more prosecco than anything else - including an 'Atalanta' special edition magnum - we give all of that away

Springveldt

Visit site
Sounds like your handicap is wrong, a series of 0.1 increases isn't going to do enough to help. Maybe ask for a review?

Under the new world system the answer would be to play more competitions so the average accurately reflects your ability.
If the whites are that far back I'd suspect the course rating and slope under the WHS will be tougher which should help with the course handicap as well.

As for the question, you can pay in cash or by club card but all winnings go back onto the card. We used to be able to pay a percentage of the winnings towards the next years fees but I haven't won anything in ages so no idea if that still happens.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
During the season we pay by cash howeverfor a bit of a difference for Saturday Comp yesterday our pro Craig took entries (£3 per skull and you could enter multi times) and ran a facebook(?) visual draw from his gaff and drew the allotted numbers out.Good idea as kept a bit of interest going/plus got some funding in.
one of the mates drew a couple of 2s in the sweep(had paid for a couple of entries and scooped £22)plus another mate scooped £25 for a 2nd place(luckygit)with all winnings going on shop account.
Seems we'll be doing it this way for a while yet......given the restrictions nationwide.
Oh well life goes on-sort of, I suppose
Jimbo sorry meant to say by bank transfer/electronically etc. (SWMBO did it for me as not allowed to in case I send everything to that nice girl from Kurdistan to come and visit if she gets the money for her and the family for their paperwork).

Last edited: