Competition costs / prizes

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have recently joined a new club and let me start by saying I play golf for fun and in no way to make money 😅

At my old club I had a few 3rd places over winter (approx 100 entries) and had £80 in prize money for spending at the pro shop when I left in March. The comp fees were £2.50 option £1 for 2s

New club is £4 for comp and £1 optional for 2s I came 3rd last week in my division (entry is split over 3 divisions on Saturdays and 2 on Sunday) and 1st yesterday, you can put your winnings towards next years subs which is nice so I enquired about what winnings were and found out it's £60/£30 for each division, 2 places per division. there are approx 140 on Saturday and 100 on Wednesday who enter meaning £560 on Saturday and £400 on a Wednesday of which £270 and £150 respectively is paid in prizes! Less than 50 percent of entry fees in prize money seems very low from what I've read on other threads?

I'm quite new to golf and my h/c is currently tumbling down so I'm under no illusion I will be coming in to top 3 each week 😅 But with a 30 mile round trip on a Saturday and £4 entry it gets quite expensive, when I could just play after work (less than a mile away) instead.

Anyone else have such a low %age of entry fees as prize money? I'm aware that the rest goes to the running of comps etc but £500+ a week??

P.s Hazel grove is my old club. I don't want to divulge who the current club is :)

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That seems a bit steep to me. At my place we pay £2 plus £1 for the 2's. I think 50p is taken by the club, the rest is dished out on the day. The money covers trophies, engraving etc. I'd baulk at £4 as subs are enough on their own.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have recently joined a new club and let me start by saying I play golf for fun and in no way to make money 😅

At my old club I had a few 3rd places over winter (approx 100 entries) and had £80 in prize money for spending at the pro shop when I left in March. The comp fees were £2.50 option £1 for 2s

New club is £4 for comp and £1 optional for 2s I came 3rd last week in my division (entry is split over 3 divisions on Saturdays and 2 on Sunday) and 1st yesterday, you can put your winnings towards next years subs which is nice so I enquired about what winnings were and found out it's £60/£30 for each division, 2 places per division. there are approx 140 on Saturday and 100 on Wednesday who enter meaning £560 on Saturday and £400 on a Wednesday of which £270 and £150 respectively is paid in prizes! Less than 50 percent of entry fees in prize money seems very low from what I've read on other threads?

I'm quite new to golf and my h/c is currently tumbling down so I'm under no illusion I will be coming in to top 3 each week 😅 But with a 30 mile round trip on a Saturday and £4 entry it gets quite expensive, when I could just play after work (less than a mile away) instead.

Anyone else have such a low %age of entry fees as prize money? I'm aware that the rest goes to the running of comps etc but £500+ a week??

P.s Hazel grove is my old club. I don't want to divulge who the current club is :)

Golly why move? I thought HG was a good course, although I've yet to play it

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes I'm not so much bothered about the %age that goes to prizes but paying £4 you'd expect to get more than 15/1 when 140 people are playing. I'm just a little more confused cause I ended up with more prize money from 2 3rd places with less entries than I get now with a 1st and a 3rd.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ours is three pound entry

Two divs - Top three in each div win a voucher all other money goes towards trophies , engraving , presentation night and into the club funds

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club
£1 entry
£1 sweep
£1 2's sweep

Entry goes to club, pays for trophies, medals, engraving, boards being updated etc

£1 sweep is all paid out
1st 50%
2nd 30%
3rd 20%

gambit

Hacker
Visit site
My Clubs its £3 entry which includes 2's Pay out is top 2 in 3 divisions and Free Balls for 2's . I received £30 voucher for coming second in my Division last week.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
for just a medal its £3 ( two's and sweep, entry ) Winner of Handicap and scratch get voucher depending on how many in the comp.

For the bigger silver trophy's its £8 which includes 2's and sweep.

never ceases to surprise me the amount that don't enter a £1 in the two's though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Clubs its £3 entry which includes 2's Pay out is top 2 in 3 divisions and Free Balls for 2's . I received £30 voucher for coming second in my Division last week.

You get paid for winning Div 2? I did that a few weeks ago but got nothing. I may check that out.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
some clubs hold money back to put towards major comps and prizes. we don't see all our prize money but it goes towards the open bar and free food after our club champs

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
for just a medal its £3 ( two's and sweep, entry ) Winner of Handicap and scratch get voucher depending on how many in the comp.

For the bigger silver trophy's its £8 which includes 2's and sweep.

never ceases to surprise me the amount that don't enter a £1 in the two's though.

Always do. £3 to enter and £2 for the two's at my place. Got a 2 a couple of weeks back and picked up over £23. Our Par 3s are all quite long and quite difficult (for me) so my 2s are rare.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always do. £3 to enter and £2 for the two's at my place. Got a 2 a couple of weeks back and picked up over £23. Our Par 3s are all quite long and quite difficult (for me) so my 2s are rare.

i never enter the two's. the prize is always a sleeve of balls and i have enough balls to last a lifetime

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i was the only person to get a two in a comp a few weeks ago and though i would be getting a nice pile of cash for it esp with 70 plus in the comp. got £40 in the end the tight buggers, had the same a few years ago as well.

Wee Free no doubt

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We pay £4 which includes £1 for the 2's sweep. Technically the 2's sweep is optional but everyone pays it. 100% of the 2's sweep money is returned (shared amongst everyone who gets a 2).

Of the £3 that is left as the "competition entry fee" the actual payout depends upon the number of entries but the typical payout averages out at 75% of the entry fees....rather than payout few large amounts, we try to pay a lot of smaller amounts to spread the prize money around.

So for a comp of between 75 and 81 players (£225- £243 worth of entries) we will pay out a total of £175. In medals this breaks down as £50 for the overall winner, £35 for each of the two divisional winners, £20 for each of the two divisional runners-up and £15 for nearest the pin. In a Stableford at this level of entries we will pay out all the way down to 6th place...£55/40/30/25/15/10.

As a privately owned club, the Competitions Committee is responsible for all costs related to competitions so the "profit" made from comps has to go to pay for Handicap Software Licensing, Engraving (generally its a tenner a pop to have a trophy engraved), computing consumables....printer ink as you all know is extortionate, we fund meals for our various club teams when they represent us in away matches, team shirts, and a myriad of other miscellaneous items....bottles of wine here and there for some of the smaller fun events that don't command an entry fee.

Additionally this "profit" helps provide financial balance for other comps that "make a loss".... a typical example of this is our Turkey Trot which is a hugely popular comp.....but we give out 30 Turkeys as prizes and also spot prizes on all 18 holes as well as Christmas hampers to the top three places....last years Turkey Trot "prize fund" was close to £850 from an entry (limited as its a shotgun start) of around £500. This weekends Club Championships will see us give out around £400 of prizes from just over £200 of entry fees.

You could say "well pay out less prizes in the TT"....I know of some clubs that only give out a single Turkey...but it is part of the "Christmas Magic" of the competition at our place that we have this great raft of Turkeys and the comp wouldn't be the same if we only gave out a dozen or so. At the end of the day...over the course of the year the committee makes a small profit....money for a rainy day...our computer is fairly old and one day will need replacing...its all stuff like this that many golfers just take for granted and don't realise the costs that mount up.

Pedrobandito

Hacker
Visit site
We pay £4 + £1 for 2's in normal comps and £6 + £2 for 2's in board comps, club champs are £10 which includes the 2's over the 2 days.

Winners get 50% and we pay out to about 10% of the field with a small % taken for things like admin costs. 2's money is split between whoever gets one (if anyone otherwise its rolled over to the next comp) unless someone gets an ace then it all goes to them.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I always get confused with competition fees. We are paying membership costs which should cover any admin etc. I'd have thought that the money should go to prizes. Although I think all winnings should be club vouchers for the pro shop or subs.

I won a matchplay comp a few years back. Won about £80 and there were prizes for second, third and fourth. Entry was a fiver and there was at least 80 entrants. Winner gets 20% of the pot. Madness.

Pedrobandito

Hacker
Visit site
Our comps are run by a committee and nothing to do with actual club so that's why admin fee is taken to cover things like sign in computer, handicap master subscription etc.

Prizes are paid as pro shop vouchers