Coffee Beans

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Over the last few months it has become impossible to buy coffee beans in our local supermarkets.

Looking to go online and maybe use a subscription service, does anyone have any recommendations?

RichA

Visit site
I've tried a few subscriptions and always ended up disappointed with the variable consistency and quality.
For the last few months I've bought a kg each of Lavazza Red and Lavazza Barista Intenso then mixed them together in the grinder hopper. Annoyingly, it tastes better than any of the smaller companies I tried to support and is about half the price. And it doesn't clog up the grinder like some of the others did.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
In work we are always trying different beans but we mainly buy them from coffee shops or up-itself-fancy-pants Borough market.
Favourite at the moment is Buffalo Soldier from Marley coffee Co. Excellent stuff.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I buy tea on line (kent and Sussex tea company), but although I'm happy with their tea, I like to buy my coffee beans locally in shops, or when I'm on a cycle trip and come across an interesting shop/roaster.
So I can recommend my online source as reliable, but I can't vouch for the quality of their coffee.
I realise that this is not particularly helpful, but at least it's a start!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I spent an afternoon with the person behind Caribe Coffee a few years ago, business owners event. Lovely guy, passionate about coffee and the farmers who grow it.

I'm not a big coffee drinker but he is genuine about what he does and is worth a trial. Google Caribe Coffee.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried a few subscriptions and always ended up disappointed with the variable consistency and quality.
For the last few months I've bought a kg each of Lavazza Red and Lavazza Barista Intenso then mixed them together in the grinder hopper. Annoyingly, it tastes better than any of the smaller companies I tried to support and is about half the price. And it doesn't clog up the grinder like some of the others did.

Just bought a Breville Barista and the grinder is the only part of the machine that annoys me. Try to buy local or online etc and the clogging up is one thing I didn't expect. It's like certain beans are too damp.

Think I'm going to try lavazza. Noticed they used it a lot on holiday and the coffee was lovely

RichA

Visit site
Just bought a Breville Barista and the grinder is the only part of the machine that annoys me. Try to buy local or online etc and the clogging up is one thing I didn't expect. It's like certain beans are too damp.

Think I'm going to try lavazza. Noticed they used it a lot on holiday and the coffee was lovely
My own thought is that a lot of the smaller roasteries over roast their beans to give the illusion of a stronger taste; it's almost like a contest. It isn't stronger coffee though; just a burnt taste like Starbucks.
And when beans are over roasted they go oily. And when coffee beans are oily and your grinder is set for a fine espresso grind the oils totally clog up the burrs.
I was dismantling and cleaning my old burr grinder every couple of weeks until I figured it out, but by then it was pretty much useless.
No such issues with Lavazza beans. I like the idea of finding a smaller indie brand to love but 20 years of coffee addiction and grinding beans for espresso has just let me full circle back to Lavazza. Boring but delicious.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My own thought is that a lot of the smaller roasteries over roast their beans to give the illusion of a stronger taste; it's almost like a contest. It isn't stronger coffee though; just a burnt taste like Starbucks.
And when beans are over roasted they go oily. And when coffee beans are oily and your grinder is set for a fine espresso grind the oils totally clog up the burrs.
I was dismantling and cleaning my old burr grinder every couple of weeks until I figured it out, but by then it was pretty much useless.
No such issues with Lavazza beans. I like the idea of finding a smaller indie brand to love but 20 years of coffee addiction and grinding beans for espresso has just let me full circle back to Lavazza. Boring but delicious.

I found the same, I have tried all sorts of beans from small roasters and keep going back to Lavazza, they just work.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I found the same, I have tried all sorts of beans from small roasters and keep going back to Lavazza, they just work.
Haha
I love trying different beans etc, but the place where ive reliably been served the best coffee is Italy. And it's all the big brand stuff. I don't recall little artisan roasters everywhere, but maybe I just didn't know where to look.

cunnini

Visit site
Had fantastic coffee in The Netherlands all week a few weeks ago - not bitter at all!

Supermarkets around here (Cambs) still selling bean coffee (including Lidl) - maybe just need a bigger supermarket?