Cobra F9 - shredding balls?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Saw Joel’s review on GM, and I really like the look of the clubs so went into AG yesterday to try the new Cobra F9 driver and hybrid. I thought about putting this in the review section but I’m writing more about an observation than a review.

Up close they both look good, the driver feels great and I like the sound off the face, was hitting them reasonably well too. The thing I noticed though, was that the outer cover was shredding on a number of the balls (AD333), like they had been run down a cheese grater, with little strands hanging off the balls. I wasn’t the first person to hit the clubs, a couple of pro’s had already been trying them out, so I’m sure it wasn’t all down to me, but I can’t help wondering if the milled face on the driver is going to be detrimental to the golf ball? I am sure Cobra have done their tests, maybe consistent strikes from the centre of the face are good, but our (my 😜) lack of consistency in getting the club face square may mean we (I) will be replacing balls more frequently. I dont think this would stop me buying the driver/ 3 wood, but I think I would need to try it again just hitting the same ball 10 or 15 times to see the results, whether it is the club shredding it, and if so, how quickly the ball becomes unusable. The price point is certainly a consideration too, coming in £100-£150 cheaper than the new TM and Callaway offerings.

The baffler hybrid was awesome. I loved the look and feel at address, so much nicer than the M4 hybrid I have, I nailed every shot straight. Just felt so easy to hit, I’m definitely looking at getting one of these.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A milled face is a tough face compared to most drivers that don't even have grooves.
Get a slice swing going and that roughness certainly could shred balls.
90+ mph out to in swing with face open....good job we're not playing with old Balata balls..

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Saw the Rick Sheils review of this last night - and he was very bullish about it being the best Driver he has hit.
Also saw Bryson with the Driver in play at the Sony.

Personally if this was marginal and you would barely notice it over a round with 12 or 13 Drives, then I don't think it would put me off.
Depending on where you play, you will probably lose a ball most rounds anyway.

I am buying 2nd hand Srixon balls on E-Bay, which I'm pleased with and so they are pennies each. Appreciate if you are teeing up a brand new Pro V1 4 times a week and don't often lose a ball, then this may put you off.

Wolf

Visit site
Not had chance to have a go with one yet but it's on my list of toys for the year, been a massive cobra fan since the Greg Norman early days.

I love my F6 at moment but price point for F9 is very appealing compared to other brands and if the milled face does do this but only means a ball per round I think I'd still be happy with that. Once we get winter out the way I'll be giving this a go but am interested in hearing more feedback in mean time

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm going to demo it soon, the f8 has the same milled face and never heard anything about shredding balls, the driver is getting some great reviews just now, I do like my f7 tho

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
When I rejoined the golf world about 12 or 13 years ago and updated my clubs at the time, I had a Cobra LD driver. It was a very good driver as I recall. The reviews on the F9 are all very positive, and given the price point, it is certainly high on my list of M2 replacements. There's not a lot wrong with the M2 to be fair, other than the fact I've battered and scratched the hell out of the white top, largely to do with an accident that in heavy rain saw it sail out of a very wet glove mid swing, and bounce down a gravel path, less than a week after buying it :eek::cry::oops::( . It was so badly scratched that it is just really horrible (and depressing as it's a constant reminder) to look down on. I just want to go back to a black headed on a driver :p.