Clubs to relax rules

Visit site
'Noob Head Golf Club' on twitter is funny- just a bit of fun, but made me laugh and reminded me of some silly rules at my club.
Over the Xmas period I did notice how few junior and younger members attended the various function, clubs need to do more to attract younger members.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our functions are stuck in the 1980's. Buffet and a club singer. They posted a 20 second clip on FB of the Christmas party, it was grim.

No one goes to them below the age of 60, even that may be generous.

The next question is what would get people of all ages to go? I'm not sure I have an answer to that. The older generation used to use the golf club as an extension of their social life, I've heard many a story from my FiL about jumping nights in a rammed golf club. I don't see the club that way and I don't know that many of my age, 49, and under do. People and tastes change and no matter what they put on I doubt you would get youngsters turning up. My own view is they need to maximise spending before, during and after your round. Trying to generate money on special nights is tough.

This post will not apply to many clubs, I appreciate that, but it certainly applies to most clubs around me.

Visit site
Our club still insists on jacket, tie, no denim etc in the club house... you could shoot level par, then change into jeans and a shirt and be less welcome than a hacker in a suit and tie.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few years back when I was 20 I can remember talking to the captain after a team match about this and I said you do nothing to attract me or my age to these functions. His reply was “we have a jazz night on this Saturday”

I kindly said I couldn’t make it

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have to be blunt again.

Would I attend the golf club for a night with the wife and have average food, average entertainment and poor surroundings. Plus have to get a taxi home from.

Or would I get a train into Glasgow, go to a nice modern restaurant where I get good service and great food, then have a choice of numerous bars we like for a drink or two then a train home.

Absolutely no doubt what the winner is. Golf Clubs are just not fashionable anymore, members don't have the same affiliation or loyalty.

Visit site
A few years back when I was 20 I can remember talking to the captain after a team match about this and I said you do nothing to attract me or my age to these functions. His reply was “we have a jazz night on this Saturday”

I kindly said I couldn’t make it
priceless, lol

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have to be blunt again.

Would I attend the golf club for a night with the wife and have average food, average entertainment and poor surroundings. Plus have to get a taxi home from.

Or would I get a train into Glasgow, go to a nice modern restaurant where I get good service and great food, then have a choice of numerous bars we like for a drink or two then a train home.

Absolutely no doubt what the winner is. Golf Clubs are just not fashionable anymore, members don't have the same affiliation or loyalty.
That may be the case at your club but at my place social events are usually oversubscribed and you have to get your name down quickly once an event is announced. There were over 20 people on the waiting list for the NYE event this week.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That may be the case at your club but at my place social events are usually oversubscribed and you have to get your name down quickly once an event is announced. There were over 20 people on the waiting list for the NYE event this week.

Those pesky middle class toffs!

🤗

That's fantastic for your club, over the moon for you.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What format are the events, what are the age of people attending?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're hoping to hold a few sports quiz nights [ teams ] and perhaps some general knowledge mixed quiz nights this year. The club is busy with private functions most weekends. No dress code.

D

Deleted member 18588

Our functions are stuck in the 1980's. Buffet and a club singer. They posted a 20 second clip on FB of the Christmas party, it was grim.

No one goes to them below the age of 60, even that may be generous.

The next question is what would get people of all ages to go? I'm not sure I have an answer to that. The older generation used to use the golf club as an extension of their social life, I've heard many a story from my FiL about jumping nights in a rammed golf club. I don't see the club that way and I don't know that many of my age, 49, and under do. People and tastes change and no matter what they put on I doubt you would get youngsters turning up. My own view is they need to maximise spending before, during and after your round. Trying to generate money on special nights is tough.

This post will not apply to many clubs, I appreciate that, but it certainly applies to most clubs around me.

But who is the market for social events at a Club with members of all ages?

After all what appeals to a 49 year-old will not to a 25 year-old.

If a Club is to run such events they need to either aim them at the group most likely to support or try the virtually impossible and appeal to all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

If a Club is to run such events they need to either aim them at the group most likely to support or try the virtually impossible and appeal to all.

Agreed, which is why I put the second part of my answer. I think the golf club social will die out naturally as most appeal to a certain generation and the section below have no interest in them. All of the generations below them have even less interest (can you have less interest than no interest? I'm sure you know what I am trying to say). You can't appeal to all age groups and genders, it just doesn't work in the modern era in particular. Target, as you say and then be smart enough to know when to pull the plug when the older members stop going as well.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
'Noob Head Golf Club' on twitter is funny- just a bit of fun, but made me laugh and reminded me of some silly rules at my club.
Over the Xmas period I did notice how few junior and younger members attended the various function, clubs need to do more to attract younger members.
Do you not think that these younger members who you decry for not attending various functions over the festive period might be away at family members for the time or entertaining other family members?
Why not say "there was minimal members playing New Years Day, therefore golf interest is going down"?
If you want to ask questions like that, look at the whole year not just a short period when families are well known to get together.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Very true. You are never going to attract 20/30 somethings to an event on a Saturday night but there are still plenty of people in 40 to nearly dead age group that are happy to support events. The girl at our club who arranges all the social events really puts in a lot of effort and I think the members appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 18588

Wholeheartedly agree with you LT.

I am 70 in a few months and I have been a member of my current Club for 37 years.

In the past I have supported the social events but no longer find them or the venue appealing.

Tastes and times change and I can't help but think that this process will continue to the point where clubhouses are used for nothing beyond pre and post round drinks etc;

We have even found a reluctance on the part of some to play in inter-club matches due to the post match meal.

Dannyc

Visit site
Our club has a good social side in general in the bar
In the lounge they have numerous different functions mainly only attended by the older generation as there stuck in the old days and won’t relax the dress code
We have recently brought the catering in house and it’s decent food I take my lady out at least once a week for food I would love take her the golf club but outside of golf I don’t want wear trousers I much prefer jeans but they won’t let us in 🙈
There is many younger members who feel the same and there losing out we have tried get the relaxed dress code on for certain times mainly when there are no club comps on but the older guys keep out voting us 😂🙈