Clubs for a toddler

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Think my lad has plastic clubs at that age. That's all they need to get the swing going. He was probably 4 by the time he got his 1st set of 'proper' (well they were dunlop) clubs.

His swing is hard to pick holes in now and he's not ten yet. Main thing is to give them some equipment that makes golf fun for them.

Hope she takes to the game mate, I get immense pride from playing with my lad (we often get paired up with strangers who also enjoy seeing a young kid striking the ball well).

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My boy is 4 and doesn’t have the concentration and attention span for golf yet.

The main rule for young golfers is if they are playing with proper clubs and balls then one adult must be with them at all times. On other words if they are hitting then you shouldn’t be until another adult takes them.

Next summer I will try mine at golf, he just isn’t interested yet.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Main thing is to give them some equipment that makes golf fun for them.

absolutely. I want her to have fun. No pushy parenting! If she doesn’t take to it then that’s ok. I just pray she doesn’t get obsessed with make-up, glamour or the Kardashians!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got s a "set" of US Kids clubs that my daughter had when she was around 3/4 if they'd be of interest?

I'd need to check the length etc, she's outgrown these now so got her a new set recently. US Kids ones seem to be around the best about when I looked a couple of years back

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My boy is 4 and doesn’t have the concentration and attention span for golf yet.

The main rule for young golfers is if they are playing with proper clubs and balls then one adult must be with them at all times. On other words if they are hitting then you shouldn’t be until another adult takes them.

Next summer I will try mine at golf, he just isn’t interested yet.

I’ve no plans for course or range yet. Just something she can smash about with in the garden or with foam balls in the living room. She’s a petite little thing so not much danger of destroying anything just yet!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
absolutely. I want her to have fun. No pushy parenting! If she doesn’t take to it then that’s ok. I just pray she doesn’t get obsessed with make-up, glamour or the Kardashians!

Mine's obsessed with his Xbox.

I wish he had the same appetite for golf, but that will come as he gets older.

sunshine

Visit site
I got a set of barbie golf clubs for my eldest girl from American golf, it was about ten years ago but you can probably find them on eBay etc. They are now in the possession of daughter number 3, ideal for girls aged 3-6 in their pink stage.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My lad turned 3 end of last year and I just don't know when I should try and get him into golf - have thought about to taking him to driving range to watch me but I don't think he could sit still; young lad doesn't walk, he runs everywhere! It's my dastardly plan to get him addicted to golf so I can spend the weekend at the golf course! Told the Mrs, she wasn't impressed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would just go with plastic toy clubs. They're light, cheap and won't do as much damage to objects or hurt as much if they get it wrong. Anything that causes trauma/pain through a swing would put her off playing.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just gone back through the facebook archives to see when I got Jamie playing. Obviously he'd have had the plastic clubs before this was filmed, but this is him aged 4, on a 9 hole par 3 pitch and putt course, with proper clubs.
I'd say that age is about as young as I could have got him out on the course.

Apologies for he video quality.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My son started with a set of cheap plastic clubs and whacking a plastic ball around the garden when he was two. This progressed to him coming to the range with me and hitting real balls with his plastic clubs when he was about 2 and a half or so.

I'm lucky to have a very quiet driving range so we didn't bother anyone and more importantly, he was completely safe.

Unfortunately, hitting real balls with a plastic club resulted in the inevitable broken smashed club, so I got him a set of Golphin clubs for his third birthday (https://uk.golphin.com/ )

They are brilliant and he loved them (still does), he's 4 now. He plays left handed, I was amazed it's possible to get such a great set of clubs for someone his size and also left handed. They're great. He also loves "looking like Daddy" carrying his clubs. Hoping to be able to take him out on a 9 hole pitch and putt this coming summer.

Reading other peoples comments, I feel very lucky that my boy loves golf as much as I do (just not as obsessed as me, yet!).

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Some of greatest memories are playing golf on a late spring evening with my dad, course was always quiet, we'd go out and play the first two at Dewsbury then if it was quiet, play down what was then the 15th and back to the clubhouse.

Wish I could have those moments again.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of good points already, a few additional things:

1. Don't assume she is right\left handed. Give her something with no indication of handedness, (like a baseball bat or stick) and watch what way she naturally goes to swing it to hit things.
2. At that age kids only really need plastic clubs, but they like having big girl (or boy) things (and not baby things), so stuff like golphin or US kids golf is good for making it the same as mum or dad, and keeping motivation.
3. Keep it fun, some range sessions my daughter hits loads of balls, other times we count them, or make pyramids. Whatever makes it so that she likes going with me.
4. Don't over instruct, at that age all they really need to know is which bit you hold, which bit hits the ball and which direction the ball should be going. I see so many parents overload young (and not so young) kids at the range, with different thoughts and negative feedback after each swing, it's sad. When they make contact compliment them, when they don't just encourage them to try again.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of good points already, a few additional things:

1. Don't assume she is right\left handed. Give her something with no indication of handedness, (like a baseball bat or stick) and watch what way she naturally goes to swing it to hit things.
2. At that age kids only really need plastic clubs, but they like having big girl (or boy) things (and not baby things), so stuff like golphin or US kids golf is good for making it the same as mum or dad, and keeping motivation.
3. Keep it fun, some range sessions my daughter hits loads of balls, other times we count them, or make pyramids. Whatever makes it so that she likes going with me.
4. Don't over instruct, at that age all they really need to know is which bit you hold, which bit hits the ball and which direction the ball should be going. I see so many parents overload young (and not so young) kids at the range, with different thoughts and negative feedback after each swing, it's sad. When they make contact compliment them, when they don't just encourage them to try again.

The pro that does kids lessons said to me the only thing he does when they’re young is show them how to hold it and tell them to keep their balance

Seems sensible to me! We just go to the range and have some fun!