clubhead speed

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Get an old driver shaft, ducktape a few screws to the end of it for a little weight. Swing it as hard as you can a few times, hit normal driver and repeat as long as you have the energy to do. Do this every time you are at the range and you will swing it faster

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
With the greatest respect, if you're off 28 or around that, then improving your general technique/swing via lessons is going to automatically improve both your score, and swing speed.

Amateur swings generally result in having to slow down and make speed-killing movements in the downswing, to enable them to hit the ball somewhere on this planet. Chicken wing is just one of many examples.

So- either hit the gym, do speed training etc and duff the ball further and offline, or put the time into learning how to hit it straighter and further through sound technique. Neither are an easy option- they will require time and money. Good luck.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Clubhead speed is generated a as the clubhead is slung round by the turn of the upper body & shoulders. As the club moves down the hands are actually decelerating & the angular momentum is transferred to the clubhead. It has been proved that the longer the wrist cock is held the faster the swingspeed is. Maintaining the angle between the left arm & the shaft is the secret, you can't overdo it, the weight & speed of the clubhead will always bring the club back square (provided you do everything else right!). It also helps if the wrists are kept as flexible as possible. Don't hold the club too tightly.

I've been concentrating on this at the range lately & when my timing is right the ball flies surprisingly far.

If your technically minded here's an engineer's explanation. Lots of interesting reading.

http://tutelman.com/golf/swing/accelerateThru.php

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Clubhead speed is generated a as the clubhead is slung round by the turn of the upper body & shoulders. As the club moves down the hands are actually decelerating & the angular momentum is transferred to the clubhead. It has been proved that the longer the wrist cock is held the faster the swingspeed is. Maintaining the angle between the left arm & the shaft is the secret, you can't overdo it, the weight & speed of the clubhead will always bring the club back square (provided you do everything else right!). It also helps if the wrists are kept as flexible as possible. Don't hold the club too tightly.

I've been concentrating on this at the range lately & when my timing is right the ball flies surprisingly far.

If your technically minded here's an engineer's explanation. Lots of interesting reading.

http://tutelman.com/golf/swing/accelerateThru.php

Has this really been proven?
I understand faster swings tend to have "more lag" but this is only a correlation, not a causation. My understanding is the faster speed produces more lag and holds it for longer, not that the lag causes the speed.
I also believe if you have a slower swing speed, purposely holding the lag is at worst going to cause you to leave the face open at impact, and at best you get the club to impact square and delofted like the pros, but as the swing speed is not as fast as the pros, you lose distance from having too low a launch angle for the given clubhead speed - same as pros can use lower lofted drivers than most amateurs.

For more clubhead speed and better contact, I would look at working on sound swing mechanics, and gym work to include (in order) stability, mobility strength, power and over speed.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
thats not the norm sadly, more like 140 on a regular basis.

occasionally I catch it just right and it goes further, however not as often as I would like

All of which supports the principle that you aren't going to get much by way of return in increasing you maximum clubhead speed - you will make all your meaningful gains by improving you consistency (of strike and of existing clubhead speed).

D

Deleted member 21258

Would tend to agree with the others, if you are above say hcap of 20 then what is ideal is a consistent swing which leads to being able to hit consistent distances is more important(and a tight dispersion imho) and a good short game.

I got down to mid single figures only hitting a 7 iron about 135-140 carry and par 4s of 420 yards plus almost out of reach apart from in the middle of summer on sun baked fairways.

You can increase swing speed, have a search on overspeed training, it works and also great fun/buzz to do.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Has this really been proven?
I understand faster swings tend to have "more lag" but this is only a correlation, not a causation. My understanding is the faster speed produces more lag and holds it for longer, not that the lag causes the speed.
I also believe if you have a slower swing speed, purposely holding the lag is at worst going to cause you to leave the face open at impact, and at best you get the club to impact square and delofted like the pros, but as the swing speed is not as fast as the pros, you lose distance from having too low a launch angle for the given clubhead speed - same as pros can use lower lofted drivers than most amateurs.

For more clubhead speed and better contact, I would look at working on sound swing mechanics, and gym work to include (in order) stability, mobility strength, power and over speed.

I know almost exactly how far I hit my 6 iron on the range. There's a green I generally pitch onto. If I concentrate on holding the lag I can easily carry it. Don't think it's likely to leave the face open, provided you are rotating the body properly.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it depends. are you swinging efficiently? i used to hit my 7 iron 165 with a dreadful swing. 5 years on my 7 iron is 175/180. the increase in swing speed was from technique. good pivot and sequence. if you have bad technique then increasing your ss isn't necessary. it will automatically come with time

if you have good technique then dont worry. a 160 7 iron is very respectable

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

occasionally I catch it just right and it goes further, however not as often as I would like
I'd agree with the others then. If you're saying you can hit 160 yards on a good strike but it doesn't happen often - then you surely to work on improving consistency of strike first and foremost?

Personally I've never worried about my swingspeed, which is not very fast, if anything I've slowed my swing down by shortening it slightly to ensure good contact more often.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I've never worried about my swingspeed, which is not very fast, if anything I've slowed my swing down by shortening it slightly to ensure good contact more often.

This is exactly what I have done. I get a more consistent strike now because of it and the ball goes straighter. I'd love another 10-15yds per club but not so much that I'd want back the erratic guff from previous years. I stopped worrying about which club I use to hit the ball compared to my pp some years ago. I hit what I need, ignore what others do.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Then it should be pretty obvious that increasing the percentage of 'just right' strikes will be a far simpler way to 'improve'!

Btw. I often play (and have for a number of years) with a seriously strong ex cricketer. When I first met him he was off 12 or so and was 4-5 clubs longer (and often wider!) with irons than me! Lessons with his pro (who also coaches Joe Miller, the LD star, so quite happy to/capable of improving distance if reqd!) have reduced that to about 2+ clubs and his handicap is now about 8! He's still capable of hitting his Driver a very long way, but has learnt that it's better to be on the (same hole's!) fairway!

Swing smarter (better), not faster!