clubhead speed

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to agree with the consensus and work on finding the centre of the club more often. That'll bring more consistency and I'd suggest a better average distance without worrying about more swing speed which off a high handicap may be difficult to sync up properly anyway and so may actually be a backward step

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Spend lots of time with your wedges and putter, learn to love them and trust them. Quickest way to drop the h/c imo.

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
Interestingly enough the other night I had time to play 3 holes so popped out. SI 1 is a long par 4 and after a drive I still had 201 to the front. The lowest club I have in my bag is 3hybrid so 19 degree. I used to remember I could hit that 200-210 about 4/5 years ago when I first started playing proper, granted not consistently and not knowing where it goes.
I have worked on my swing and got my handicap down to 13 from 28 in around 2.5yrs and that's not playing an awful lot (guys on here will attest to that)
Anyways, that hybrid I now hit 170-180 with a high fade so it's shorter but I pretty much know the exactl flight I'm going to get and where it'll go, this info is invaluable in getting your handicap down.
I did however attempt a draw swing and in my head and several practice swings hit what felt like a draw path and on striking the ball the flight had the tiniest of draws and landed a few feet from the pin, pin high.
Learning that shot and that technique is a huge mind game and concentration and graft down the range or home or wherever and then csn be put on the course.
Your bombing 7 irons long with no idea id guess at where it's going.
Creating a consistent shot every time for you will take so many strokes off your handicap.
Forget about your length pal

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i don't hit the ball far for my handicap, so you don't have to be long to improve.

but isn't there a school of thought that you should learn to hit it long, then learn to hit it straight?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
but isn't there a school of thought that you should learn to hit it long, then learn to hit it straight?

They encourage that with juniors now. I'm not sure if it would be as effective with an adult. Juniors are more physically flexible, more able to learn and so making the transition from wild long hitter to controlled long hitter is likely to be more manageable. I also think they do that with kids as it encourages them to play. Bashing a ball for miles is fun for a kid. Learning correct grip, stance, take away etc is dull. Hook them in and then refine the faults. (I'm not saying I agree or disagree but that is the logic behind it)

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
They encourage that with juniors now. I'm not sure if it would be as effective with an adult. Juniors are more physically flexible, more able to learn and so making the transition from wild long hitter to controlled long hitter is likely to be more manageable. I also think they do that with kids as it encourages them to play. Bashing a ball for miles is fun for a kid. Learning correct grip, stance, take away etc is dull. Hook them in and then refine the faults. (I'm not saying I agree or disagree but that is the logic behind it)

Yep, my son likes to belt it as hard as he can, his coach says he has great speed and strength but his body needs to be taller and he will gain more control as he grows. So they have gone from encouraging him to try and belt it to a slightly more controlled swing but he still likes to belt it even though a more controlled swing brings him better results. Probably doesn't help that if playing casually I like to smack it around as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They have done the same with cricket. I grew up being taught stance, back lift, forward defensive, repeat ad nauseum. It was classic Boycott text book stuff. Now it is plastic bats, whack it out of site, just have fun. They build in technique later.

No idea as to whether it works better from a technical point of view of whether it is a change that was required to keep kids interested now that attention spans tend to be shorter. Perhaps Coach can answer that one?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have done the same with cricket. I grew up being taught stance, back lift, forward defensive, repeat ad nauseum. It was classic Boycott text book stuff. Now it is plastic bats, whack it out of site, just have fun. They build in technique later.

No idea as to whether it works better from a technical point of view of whether it is a change that was required to keep kids interested now that attention spans tend to be shorter. Perhaps Coach can answer that one?
In cricket terms I'd say it's the latter. I remember at school very few people wanted to play cricket, and they brought in the 'quick cricket' with the blue plastic stumps you could set up indoors, and instead of running up and down you just run to a point at the side and back. I can't see cricket ever being popular though unless they invent a version where you don't have to stand around 'fielding' for half an hour.