Club to join in West/South London

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I am considering joining a different course next year and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of courses to join near west london or surrey. Main reason for considering the move is my current course does not have regular weekend competitions throughout summer (which is generally the only time I can play). I have also recently moved to central london but am completely reliant on public transport so priorities are near to public transport firstly and quality of course/competitions second.

I have tried to do some research but have not found anything near west london at all (which would be my preference). Surrey wise, I am aware of Mitcham but interested to know of any other easily accessible (and better quality) courses. Addington Palace has been recommended to me which is apparently on a tram line, but have not played it yet. Also interested in inner-north london.

Cheers
Oldmate.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I am told Addington Palace is short and tight, but none the worse for it by mates that play there. There is a tram line nearby, not sure how close the stop is. Wimbledon Park is a short walk from, curiously enough, Wimbledon Park tube station, on the Wimbledon branch of the District line. Looks a bit short on paper but I thought it was a good test when I played it earlier in the year, and not as short as the overall yardage suggests, lovely clubhouse, if I lived nearer and was looking I'd have no hesitation in applying. If I think of any others I'll add them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Mitcham is actually as close as you can get to Public Transport. It's right beside a tram stop!

Addington Palace is pretty close to a tram stop too and is a better course imo. Greens re some of the best and fastest around. First 9 is better than back 9 imo.

Fulwell is pretty close to British Rail, though my impression is that it's a bit fuddy-duddy-ish - may be wrong though.

No idea of waiting lists, cost, joining fees etc on any of them.

Those I'd actually term South London btw. I don't know of any in West London that are rally near Rail/Tube,

There are a few in North West London, but the ones I know tend to be a little way from Public Transport.. Shire London is about £6 in a cab - but my favourite fun course! South Herts (on same Tube line) is a fair hike up the hill (and a disappointment when I played it). Finchley and Mill Hill are on the Metropolitan Line but need a second mode of transport (bus, cab) to get to from the nearest stop.

I'd suggest that you don't actually join a club - but check quite a few of them out first.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a member of Ealing and love the place. Genuinely some of the best greens in the country atm - not my words, GM's. Happy to show you around or give you any info. Also been looking after the Tiger's B Team this year 7-12 handicap so happy to give you more info on inter club games in the area.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been a member at Addington Palace for many years. Tram stops right outside. Its a little on the short side at 6400 yards but the greens and general condition are the best around. There are comps in the summer most weekends and a mid week comp also. Friendly 9 hole comp on Thursday after work in the summer too.

PM me if you need any more info or fancy a game to check it out.

Matt

MrMr

Hacker
Visit site
Coulsdon Court, Used to have some great monthly comps and some great members. But, that was 20 years ago. Still a nice course though

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. Ealing looks like the best option as it's pretty easy on the tube from my place. I'm currently a member at Mitcham but have been having a bit of trouble getting there with the trainline from Victoria closed regularly on weekends and also not enough weekend comps throughout summer. Jimbob, thanks for the offer - I'll drop you a line over the next few weeks to try to line up a game there.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. Ealing looks like the best option as it's pretty easy on the tube from my place. I'm currently a member at Mitcham but have been having a bit of trouble getting there with the trainline from Victoria closed regularly on weekends and also not enough weekend comps throughout summer. Jimbob, thanks for the offer - I'll drop you a line over the next few weeks to try to line up a game there.

..and a new relationship was born, arrrrr ;)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I would also recommend taking a look at Fulwell. I really enjoyed my round there.