Club selection

Wolf

Visit site
Interesting video and something I'm way to guilty of chasing a score from the start hitting shots that don't need to be hit, instead of building into a round and making most of opportunity

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Interesting video and something I'm way to guilty of chasing a score from the start hitting shots that don't need to be hit, instead of building into a round and making most of opportunity

It’s pretty obvious really,but I’ve been guilty of going for the glory shot or hitting driver when there’s really no need.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not an issue for me - I absolutely know I'm not a big hitter anymore, and none of my playing partners (or opponents) care what club I hit how far (although good opponents will of course encourage me to 'go for it' in their own way...

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like the idea of building a round and confidence by making sure you're giving yourself every opportunity to execute the early shots so not taking unecessarily difficult shots on.

Challenge I always feel is that I can play a 5 iron and muck it up, or a duff around the green on a chip, so if I don't attack I can also leave myself with a big score. That feels less risk for this guy who is clearly a very good golfer and hits wedges in well.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very true.

Confidence over the ball is everything. The amount of times I have walked up to the ball, be it a chip or a 3 wood off the deck and thought 'This is going to be a duff' or something similar, and the only result is a duff.

If you feel confident with the shot then more times than not you will make a confident swing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Boring golf is great when you have a great swing and hit the ball a decent distance, but pointless taking irons off the tee if you put yourself in trouble or leave yourself with too much to do.

works for this guy but no Guarantee it will work for someone who is inconsistent.

smash the driver Tashy style off every tee ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

I had a lesson yesterday and the Pro said he's changed his mind on the best approach. He used to be a keep it play and have a safe, but long approach.
But now, he'd rather his players were in the semi with a wedge. I am of course, in the deep rough or trees with a wedge, which is why I had the lesson.

By the end of the lesson, I averaged 15 yds from left of the centre line.

If I could place my ball 15 yds of centre, at my average distance for the session (283 yds), I'd happily take it on all of our par 4 & par 5's, over being the 210-220 a long iron would get me from the tee.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
As soon as I stand over the ball and think something like, "last time on this tee I hit a shank...." - you can guess what happens next!!

If I could banish ALL negativity from my brain I'd cut my handicap in half I reckon - but how to achieve this? I guess even the best would love to know....

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I realise I'm closer to shooting 100 than 70 so I might not be the best person to comment but ...

I just don't get some the advice he was given on the 3rd hole - the short par 5. He was told to play hybrid, 9, wedge and managed to birdie it. But even the pros 2 putt most of the time so the advice he was given was really get a safe par, possible birdie. But unless there was a lot more danger on the hole that was shown, the drive didn't look very dangerous. The fairway was reasonably generous, only protected by the fairway bunker. So if he gets a drive away he'll be left with a mid iron for possible eagle attempt, reasonble birdie attempt, very safe par. If he goes in the fairway bunker then it was only about 220 to the green so unless he was very unlucky he would be on the green with wedge, wedge and still expecting a par.

It just looked like he was told to go for a safe par with a small chance of better when the alternative was a safe par with a bigger chance of better.