Club Finals Day

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does your place have one? We do. It's only really for the matchplay heroes, but has caused some grief this year already with some being unable to play of those dates. Apparently this "Finals Days" was only brought in a few years ago (I've got to check this) and I see no real need for it. All the other rounds are sorted by the players why muck about with a finals day?

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
My old club had winners of any singles comp, medal for another trophy the following season. Sadly I left so couldn't enter this year 😕

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Nope.....no finals day.....the Ladies, Seniors and main Club knockouts are all played at different times through the year, matches being arranged by players, at their own convenience, within the "round must by played by" deadlines imposed by the various committees.

Forcing players to commit to a specific "match must be played on" date is just silly in this day and age when folks have a variety of commitments outside of golf.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does your place have one? We do. It's only really for the matchplay heroes, but has caused some grief this year already with some being unable to play of those dates. Apparently this "Finals Days" was only brought in a few years ago (I've got to check this) and I see no real need for it. All the other rounds are sorted by the players why muck about with a finals day?

Yes, we do and it's a big deal and so it should be imo as they are all Board comps. The Finals date is published in the club dairy and also on all the entry forms for the major knockouts. If you can't play on the Finals date you should not enter. Simples

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, we do and it's a big deal and so it should be imo as they are all Board comps. The Finals date is published in the club dairy and also on all the entry forms for the major knockouts. Simples
If you can't play on the Finals date you should not enter.

We thought about doing it but because of the reason that if you cant make it dont enter we decided that would be counter productive to getting as many to enter as possible so no finals day - how do you cover if someone is ill or injured or has an emergency or gets called into work.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finals day is a bit out dated but a great concept.

If it works at a club then great but trying to add it at club which hasnt had one could backfire.

It's nice but not necessary and attendance should not be an every factor.

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No finals day at our club, but if you let them know when the match is being played, they will close the tee to give you plenty of time to have a few clear holes

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We thought about doing it but because of the reason that if you cant make it dont enter we decided that would be counter productive to getting as many to enter as possible so no finals day - how do you cover if someone is ill or injured or has an emergency or gets called into work.

As far as I know the numbers of people who enter the knockouts hasn't dwindled. The mixed foursomes knockout had more entries this year than last. The men have to qualify for the foursomes knockout and that days comp is usually oversubscribed. Obviously works well at our club. There will be something in the rules re illness or injury as I know one final match was deferred a couple of years ago due to that.

I enjoyed playing in our finals day. All matches have a referee plus there were members following the matches around the course.