Good Luck in your new role @MikeH

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprised nobody has posted anything so I will do the honours.

Bit stunned to see on the Social Medias this morning that Mike is standing down as Editor of GM after 17 years in charge.

I thnk we all owe a massive thanks to him for building this forum (in the early days the GM staff used to all post under various aliases to get the traffic levels up) and for all the opportunities that he has brought the forumites as well as putting it front an centre in the magazine.

Post mentions he is staying post until after the open but I thought I would start a thread for people to post their well wishes and reflect on some great meets with Mike and the people from GM. I will add at this stage that Mr Harris is partially responsible for my 2 worst hangovers on a golf course (Centenary Finals Day at Forest of Arden and Hillside) as well as winessing my most embarassing round playing as a new 28 handicapper on the PGA course at the Belfry at the first official GM Meet playing wht him and Viscount17.

Anyway, I wish Mike every sucess in his next move.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never met Mike but had the occasional message back and forth. Always very friendly, I wish him the very best. 17 years as Editor of a major magazine is quite an achievement.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surprised nobody has posted anything so I will do the honours.

Bit stunned to see on the Social Medias this morning that Mike is standing down as Editor of GM after 17 years in charge.

I thnk we all owe a massive thanks to him for building this forum (in the early days the GM staff used to all post under various aliases to get the traffic levels up) and for all the opportunities that he has brought the forumites as well as putting it front an centre in the magazine.

Post mentions he is staying post until after the open but I thought I would start a thread for people to post their well wishes and reflect on some great meets with Mike and the people from GM. I will add at this stage that Mr Harris is partially responsible for my 2 worst hangovers on a golf course (Centenary Finals Day at Forest of Arden and Hillside) as well as winessing my most embarassing round playing as a new 28 handicapper on the PGA course at the Belfry at the first official GM Meet playing wht him and Viscount17.

Anyway, I wish Mike every sucess in his next move.
Have to admit to a thick head at the Centenary Finals as well. Not sure it was all Mike and think Jezz Ellwood was equally as culpable

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One of the nicest guys I've ever met...a true Gent and fantastic company on the course.
I hope he stays in touch while gallivanting around sorting out the States..
Handing over the reins to a very safe pair of hands - Tappers is one of the good guys too...
ps..sorry for pipping you to NTP at Hayling😋

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I met Mike at a Doug Mc.Clelland Golf Day. Nice man, hope he has a long & enjoyable retirement.
Far from retiring he's still going to be Content Director at GM as well as overseeing development of thenUS market thats growing fast.
He'll also be working with FourFourTwo and Rugby World magazines....
Not leaving much time for golf....

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Met him numerous times on H4H meets though mainly in the Bar & I rather regret, never in his group playing golf. A real gent... best wishes for the future & maybe will correct that golfing bit some time when you visit the Leeds area.⛳🏌️‍♂️

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're going Mike, you've always had time for the forum and have been a great ambassador for the magazine as well as its editor.

I've really enjoyed the forum events sponsored by Golf Monthly over the years, which have always been well organised.
The number of competition giveaways has been huge over the years and I've been lucky enough to be on the right side of the draw a couple of times.

Good luck in your new ventures and I hope that they bring all that you wish for.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has an amazing ability to make you feel relaxed. I remember the Adams day, there are cameras, videos being filmed, a renowned tour pro there, eveything to make you feel on edge and Mike made it feel like a morning at the range with mates.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never met the man, but a he did offer me a brand new driver and fitting for free after a rather contentious thread a few years ago, (I turned it down).

So I would wish him well with next step in his career.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I've met him, not knowingly anyway. But if this place is largely down to him, then I sincerely thank him for giving me my chief method of time-wasting. (Joking aside, the forum is much more than that.)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've played a few rounds with Mike and enjoyed every minute, I hope one day to play with his successor Neil Tappin who I think is a very worthy successor, and as equally a nice guy.

Let's not post as if Mike has passed away (even if a large part of him had when I last saw him) he is just moving into a new role with GM.

Best wishes to you both in the new jobs

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played a few rounds with Mike and enjoyed every minute, I hope one day to play with his successor Neil Tappin who I think is a very worthy successor, and as equally a nice guy.

Let's not post as if Mike has passed away (even if a large part of him had when I last saw him) he is just moving into a new role with GM.

Best wishes to you both in the new jobs

A good point, if a mod would like to edit the title to something that sounds less funereal (I could have worded it so much better) that would be great.