Clothing

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Incoming dumb question.

I have just moved to East Lothian from England. I was in my local pro shop and they have a very nice range of club jumpers with part of the jumper covered with the Scottish flag.

Talking to a friend about these and he said that wearing one of these as an Englishman would be frowned upon (he said it would be tantamount to cultural misappropriation) For the record I have no intention of pretending that I am Scottish and was only looking at the jumper as I thought it was very nice.

What are your opinions?
Your friend is an utter moron, no point trying to put it any other way.

So he goes on holiday, never buys gifts from the places he visits? etc etc

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive got the exact same jumper, may have been a ryder cup logo on it as well.

I'll gladly wear mine.....when I lose another 2 stone. :)

Could be willing to part with it if your mate has second thoughts.

Albo

Visit site
How very odd.
Why would you, your friend or indeed anyone care?
I’m English and moved up here and wore a kilt at my wedding.
Just odd

Lee762

Visit site
How very odd.
Why would you, your friend or indeed anyone care?
I’m English and moved up here and wore a kilt at my wedding.
Just odd

I thought the same thing but some people are really funny about the simplest stuff.

I personally dont see a problem with wearing it.

sjw

Visit site
Put it this way, if you went to the states and came back dressed head-to-toe in stars and stripes, Americans would think you were taking the mick, and English people would think you were a tit.

sunshine

Visit site
Put it this way, if you went to the states and came back dressed head-to-toe in stars and stripes, Americans would think you were taking the mick embracing American culture, and English people would think you were a tit.

Fixed it for you

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
tbh think it is total nonsense

Not that long ago the Union Jack was plastered across all sorts of clothing and other things during the Cool Britannia era, people buying it were not appropriating our culture or anything else, they just liked the design.

Similarly you like the design of the jumper, you are not buying it because it is Scottish or because it has anything to do with Scotland but because you like the design.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Their response to you highlights what is wrong with the world. If you like it, wear it. In 50 years time I hope cultures are so mixed that nobody cares anymore and people laugh at how stupid people were in our era around clothing and haircuts.

Lee762

Visit site
Their response to you highlights what is wrong with the world. If you like it, wear it. In 50 years time I hope cultures are so mixed that nobody cares anymore and people laugh at how stupid people were in our era around clothing and haircuts.

Kind of like me kids laughing at the clothes I used to wear in the 80's

I know exactly what you mean, it seems so stupid that anyone would take offence for wearing a jumper with a flag on it, rather than just see it for what it is and that i me liking the jumper (and supporting the local club pro)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the jumper, it’s not even the same colour as the flag.

The designer may have used the flag as an inspiration behind the design to appeal to a wide audience, but I think it’s pretty smart.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Kind of like me kids laughing at the clothes I used to wear in the 80's

I know exactly what you mean, it seems so stupid that anyone would take offence for wearing a jumper with a flag on it, rather than just see it for what it is and that i me liking the jumper (and supporting the local club pro)

It’s basically an idiotic land grab of societal and cultural elements of life, frequently by those from under-educated backgrounds disguising it as national pride, in your case of a flag on a jumper.

It’s all Mel Gibson’s fault up there if you ask me! He stirred up far too much national pride in braveheart along with a belief that there’s still a need to defeat the English. ?

Albo

Visit site
It’s basically an idiotic land grab of societal and cultural elements of life, frequently by those from under-educated backgrounds disguising it as national pride, in your case of a flag on a jumper.

It’s all Mel Gibson’s fault up there if you ask me! He stirred up far too much national pride in braveheart along with a belief that there’s still a need to defeat the English. ?
That’s just the thing, it’s not! As an Englishman up here, that feeling comes from a perception not reality, my friends from down South all ask the same thing about the Scot’s and their attitude towards my Englishness and quite honestly I’ve never had a tap of trouble or comments or anything, save for the football, they really don’t want us to do well in that regard, though they will quite happily tell me that is a much the fault of the media as it is anything else.
A more welcoming friendly bunch of people you could not meet, which is why this thread confuses me. I’ve met many Scottish people from all walks of life and none of them would care if I wore that jumper or not.
I don’t want to get political, but I tend to think the whole drive for independence is seen at least in England, as an anti English bias, which is probably here attitudes like those of the OPs friend stem, it’s just plain wrong

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That’s just the thing, it’s not! As an Englishman up here, that feeling comes from a perception not reality, my friends from down South all ask the same thing about the Scot’s and their attitude towards my Englishness and quite honestly I’ve never had a tap of trouble or comments or anything, save for the football, they really don’t want us to do well in that regard, though they will quite happily tell me that is a much the fault of the media as it is anything else.
A more welcoming friendly bunch of people you could not meet, which is why this thread confuses me. I’ve met many Scottish people from all walks of life and none of them would care if I wore that jumper or not.
I don’t want to get political, but I tend to think the whole drive for independence is seen at least in England, as an anti English bias, which is probably here attitudes like those of the OPs friend stem, it’s just plain wrong
I would like to comment on this but the rules of this forum prevent me from doing so.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

That’s why I said those from under educated backgrounds (as controversial as that may sound). You’ve probably and maybe just subconsciously read too much into my latter tongue in cheek comment about Mel Gibson to be fair. I by no means think that the English side of the border is any better in this regard and nor, without getting to political either, am I saying it’s just a nationalist issue either.

If you combine both my comments, I was hoping to convey that we need to celebrate the positive in life. The guy should be proud people are flying his national flag on what they are wearing rather than criticising.

Albo

Visit site
That’s why I said those from under educated backgrounds (as controversial as that may sound). You’ve probably and maybe just subconsciously read too much into my latter tongue in cheek comment about Mel Gibson to be fair. I by no means think that the English side of the border is any better in this regard and nor, without getting to political either, am I saying it’s just a nationalist issue either.

If you combine both my comments, I was hoping to convey that we need to celebrate the positive in life. The guy should be proud people are flying his national flag on what they are wearing rather than criticising.
Totally got that and agree

Grumps

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Incoming dumb question.

I have just moved to East Lothian from England. I was in my local pro shop and they have a very nice range of club jumpers with part of the jumper covered with the Scottish flag.

Talking to a friend about these and he said that wearing one of these as an Englishman would be frowned upon (he said it would be tantamount to cultural misappropriation) For the record I have no intention of pretending that I am Scottish and was only looking at the jumper as I thought it was very nice.

What are your opinions?
Glenmuir also do a English version so no need to jump ship ?