Clothing

Lee762

Visit site
Incoming dumb question.

I have just moved to East Lothian from England. I was in my local pro shop and they have a very nice range of club jumpers with part of the jumper covered with the Scottish flag.

Talking to a friend about these and he said that wearing one of these as an Englishman would be frowned upon (he said it would be tantamount to cultural misappropriation) For the record I have no intention of pretending that I am Scottish and was only looking at the jumper as I thought it was very nice.

What are your opinions?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would have to see a picture of the jumper to comment properly!

Speaking personally, if it was blatantly and prominently a Scottish flag jumper, I wouldn't want to wear it because (a) people would firstly assume I was Scottish when I'm not, and (b) I think an English person would laugh at me for wearing a Scottish flag, while a Scottish person as you suggest would probably tell you get it off sharpish. Well, some would.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The English World Cup squad wore blue all the way through the tournament, so why wouldn't you want to wear a Scottish jumper? :LOL:

Lee762

Visit site
The English World Cup squad wore blue all the way through the tournament, so why wouldn't you want to wear a Scottish jumper? :LOL:

Too be fair I have not had an interest in English football for years. I think they are all overpaid prima donnas.

The only reason I was asking about the jumper was that I like the design, nothing to do with trying to pretend to be something Im not (My south London Accent gives away)

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
You're allowed to celebrate and support the country that you live in. It doesn't mean that you are trying to pretend to be something that you're not, or are hiding the country of your birth. Just get on with it, if anyone complains remind them politely that you don't need their permission when choosing clothes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah that's pretty much a Scottish flag, no bones about it.

Wear what you want. If someone else is offended by it, that’s their problem.
I suppose this is correct. As long as you don't care about Scottish and/or English people potentially laughing at you, then why not wear it.

Funnily enough, if you wore an English flag top down here you'd probably be accused of a right wing thug nowadays. I don't think there's any similar aspersions to worry about with a Scottish flag. :LOL:

Lee762

Visit site
Yeah that's pretty much a Scottish flag, no bones about it.

I suppose this is correct. As long as you don't care about Scottish and/or English people potentially laughing at you, then why not wear it.

Funnily enough, if you wore an English flag top down here you'd probably be accused of a right wing thug nowadays. I don't think there's any similar aspersions to worry about with a Scottish flag. :LOL:

Your right I see a club pro wearing a jumper with a St Georges flag and he was accused of being a thug. You cant seem to win.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Incoming dumb question.

I have just moved to East Lothian from England. I was in my local pro shop and they have a very nice range of club jumpers with part of the jumper covered with the Scottish flag.

Talking to a friend about these and he said that wearing one of these as an Englishman would be frowned upon (he said it would be tantamount to cultural misappropriation) For the record I have no intention of pretending that I am Scottish and was only looking at the jumper as I thought it was very nice.

What are your opinions?

Well, I wouldn't wear them and I am from Scotland.

But, my opinion is that you can wear whatever you want. I disagree what your friend said and I doubt anyone would frown upon. If they did, they would be a silly person!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I like that, and actually have the grey/ blue version from Dornoch, which I'm happy to wear it. I was born in England with a Welsh Dad, previously lived in Japan and now moving to Scotland with a Japanese wife, no idea what "cultural misappropriation" is but I'm sure it's got nothing to do with what I choose to wear.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As others have said wear what you like, I wouldn't class it as appropriation, most would assume you just got it off the sale rail.