Close House or Belton Woods??

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not played either but will be looking at Close House for our annual do next year.

Dave - have you done Slaley Hall or Carden Park? (Guessing you will have done). These 2 have been our most enjoyable resort style courses/hotels to stay at on our annual society meet.

Good shout for Slaley but very early in the year to go up there. Was up there about the same time of year a few years back only to find snow still in some of the bunkers.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We played the Colt from the tips, just as it was set up for. Brings bunkers into play and makes the course a true challenge.
The Filey off the tips was still just a drive and a flick on most holes.

You're a very good player. I'm off single figures & not that short. I find it impossible to play properly & extremely unenjoyable. Playing a course where I can't reach a lot of the par 4s is no fun. That's why I find the Filly so much more enjoyable.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not played either but will be looking at Close House for our annual do next year.

Dave - have you done Slaley Hall or Carden Park? (Guessing you will have done). These 2 have been our most enjoyable resort style courses/hotels to stay at on our annual society meet.
Slaley is a good set up, the Huntsman is a lovely course. It is not a great draining course though and at the time Dave is going the water table could be high still and it could be a bit soggy. If he was going later in the year that would be a great shout but it is too early for Slaley, it would be a gamble.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In all honesty, for courses close to me that would suit a group booking, I prefer Greetham Valley over Belton Woods.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yeah, we did Slaley this year in cold & windy conditions... tho as Bri says, could have been a lot worse.
Whilst there are loads of good Resort Courses West of the Pennines..... the M62 return journey is an ar$e.
We did Woodhall Spa for quite a few years which is one of the best bets at that time of year & a similar travel time & price to Close house.
Both my preferred choice though some £60 to £70 dearer.

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you considered Cave castle. went there in April as a party of 16. there were two other large golf parties there, decent course, nice venue and cheap beer.
i think we paid just over £200 for two nights, two rounds of golf, and breakfast, dinner and evening meal and food was fantastic. this price was based on 2 people sharing and the rooms were a bit dated but were more than sufficient for what we required

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry to hijack your thread Dave but thought it best rather than starting a new one.

We are looking for next year for our group. We go mid June and the favourite so far is a return to Carden but would like a bit more info on both Belton and Greetham please. We range from scratch to 28 handicappers - how do the courses compare to say Rudding/Carden/Slaley? What are the hotels like?