Close House or Belton Woods??

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking for a venue for 24 of us next year within 2hrs of Leeds. Haven't played either but understand CH to be in a different class, course wise (& price)...… but am wondering which is likely to be in the better condition in late March, early April. Of course a lot will depend on the kind of winter etc we have, but I'm sure one maybe more reliable than the other. Views & suggestions welcome. Oh... we've done the most reliable in the area ie. Forest Pines. :LOL::LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't played Belton Woods so can't comment on that. I have played CH around then, in February/ March as well. The course holds up very well even though it is inland. The condition will be strong, it drains well. The greens may be soft, you will use your pitch repairer, but they would still be excellent. They have far too many green staff there for it to be otherwise.

I'm interested to hear other comments but I would not worry about going for CH.

D

Deleted member 16999

Looking for a venue for 24 of us next year within 2hrs of Leeds. Haven't played either but understand CH to be in a different class, course wise (& price)...… but am wondering which is likely to be in the better condition in late March, early April. Of course a lot will depend on the kind of winter etc we have, but I'm sure one maybe more reliable than the other. Views & suggestions welcome. Oh... we've done the most reliable in the area ie. Forest Pines. :LOL::LOL:
Close House mate, no competition imo.

D

Deleted member 16999

Have you played Belton Woods Paul?
Yes mate, 2 of the courses there. Belton Woods, imo, is decent, but more of a resort type establishment, lots of families, big hotel etc.
Close House is all about the Golf and imo, the 2 courses are much better.
Belton Woods has more facilities, pool etc, but from what you’ve put you’re looking for the Golf side of it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Close house is nice, but the filly course is not worth a play. I’d personally play the Colt and then find somewhere else to play.
I'd disagree with that. Also, this group has 21 players in it, that presumably covers a spread of abilities. The Filly is a less testing course, obviously, but it is still fun to play and will not beat people up in a way The Colt potentially could. Play the Filly day one as a warm up, The Colt day two. That's a good duo, imo.

If all of the golfers are single digits then your point is a fair one.

Opinions huh 😁

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd disagree with that. Also, this group has 21 players in it, that presumably covers a spread of abilities. The Filly is a less testing course, obviously, but it is still fun to play and will not beat people up in a way The Colt potentially could. Play the Filly day one as a warm up, The Colt day two. That's a good duo, imo.

If all of the golfers are single digits then your point is a fair one.

Opinions huh 😁
Played it with a 18hcp, 9 handicap and a lady off 21. All said the same thing.
The colt is an amazing course, the filly just Doesn’t fit with the colt.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Belton Woods gets very boggy over winter and is not helped by never closing. If March is wet then it will not be ideal at the end of the month.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Close house is nice, but the filly course is not worth a play. I’d personally play the Colt and then find somewhere else to play.
No, no, no! The Colt is very hilly & too difficult for the average player, in my opinion. The Filly is cheaper, flatter & extremely pleasant. I've played there in February the day after a lot of rain & it was surprisingly dry. Play the Colt if you really want to but I'd guarantee you'd enjoy the Filly better.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

Disagree. I much preferred the Filly, more of a challenge. The Colt is pretty, but to many blind holes where you cannot see you ball land.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, no, no! The Colt is very hilly & too difficult for the average player, in my opinion. The Filly is cheaper, flatter & extremely pleasant. I've played there in February the day after a lot of rain & it was surprisingly dry. Play the Colt if you really want to but I'd guarantee you'd enjoy the Filly better.

Yes the Colt is a little hilly, but it's not that bad. If you buggy it or have an electric trolley no problem, if you are carrying or have a normal push trolley then yes you may feel it and will be glad of a pint afterwards.

I played the Colt last year and it was the first time I'd not lost a ball during 18 holes of golf for many a round.

Stand out holes for me are the 9th the par 3 over the pond/lake, the 13th elevated tee, all down hill, this is the holes the pros during the Masters were driving the green and the 14th a nice tree lined par 3.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Disagree. I much preferred the Filly, more of a challenge. The Colt is pretty, but to many blind holes where you cannot see you ball land.
We played the Colt from the tips, just as it was set up for. Brings bunkers into play and makes the course a true challenge.
The Filey off the tips was still just a drive and a flick on most holes.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played either but will be looking at Close House for our annual do next year.

Dave - have you done Slaley Hall or Carden Park? (Guessing you will have done). These 2 have been our most enjoyable resort style courses/hotels to stay at on our annual society meet.