Christmas Preparations

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
There'll be some sort of Swedish christmas now after a run to the Scandi shop in London.

3 jars of pickled herring, ansjovies and julmust bought.

Also bought 2 bags of salt licorice , but I golloped that rather quickly.

Made my first ever "Jansson's frestelse" (Potatoes, onions, ansjovies and cream cooked in a tray in the oven) yesterday and it turned out rather well if I may say so. Will probably eat the whole batch and make a new one for christmas eve.

I should've bought 3 bottles of julmust (loosely translated to christmas juice) as I've already downed 1 of the 2 1.5 litre bottles. Coca-Cola have pretty much given up their efforts trying to make coke the number 1 soft drink in Sweden. We won't have it. Julmust is our thing - it's a must you could say...
The frestelse sounds brilliant, Good job I looked up the recipe though, else I'd have translated ansjovies as anchovy (which apparently nearly all non-Swedes do)

D

Deleted member 25172

The frestelse sounds brilliant, Good job I looked up the recipe though, else I'd have translated ansjovies as anchovy (which apparently nearly all non-Swedes do)

It's delicious! Yeah, I have been looking around to see if I could find the "correct" ansjovis, but no luck until I went to the scandi store.

You can order it online from them if you wanna give it a go. Super simple to make. If you do, don't forget to keep the juices and poor it over everything before you put it in the oven!

https://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/product/abba-grebbestad-ansjovis-125g-2/

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's delicious! Yeah, I have been looking around to see if I could find the "correct" ansjovis, but no luck until I went to the scandi store.

You can order it online from them if you wanna give it a go. Super simple to make. If you do, don't forget to keep the juices and poor it over everything before you put it in the oven!

https://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/product/abba-grebbestad-ansjovis-125g-2/
Great, ta. Might pop up town to their shop - once restrictions ease. (Only 12 mins by train but I've not been up town since May).

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went to the supermarket with my wife today, first time in years. Kept her under control, for example, she picked up three large pots of custard. What are they for ? asks I. Just in case she says. Back in the fridge they went. Can you get a box of tangerines? Why says I? Hardly anyone eats them.Back they go and I pick up a string bag of six. She doesn't want me to go shopping with her again. ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to the supermarket with my wife today, first time in years. Kept her under control, for example, she picked up three large pots of custard. What are they for ? asks I. Just in case she says. Back in the fridge they went. Can you get a box of tangerines? Why says I? Hardly anyone eats them.Back they go and I pick up a string bag of six. She doesn't want me to go shopping with her again. ?
Result !!

D

Deleted member 25172

Great, ta. Might pop up town to their shop - once restrictions ease. (Only 12 mins by train but I've not been up town since May).

Just saw Nigella doing Jansson’s temptation in her latest Christmas episode. She must be lurking around here! ?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finally and definitely done now. Had to go back into town today to buy a bottle of whisky as I finished my last bottle last night and at the same time found some dill which was a nice bonus. Disaster averted and looking forward to not retuning to any shop for at least a week. The only thing we’ll need to do ahead of Hogmanay is a walk to the butcher to collect the steak pie.

Feet up now and the mulled wine is going down far too easily. Hmm. At this rate, I’ll have to get more wine? :cry:

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Done most of my pre cooking for Xmas eve / Xmas day. We have a German au pair so are having a German market themed Xmas eve session with Homemade bratwurst, Mulled wine etc etc. Xmas day going retro, Prawn cocktail starter, then weve Turkey and Goose served with all the trimmings followed by Xmas pud or an overly boozy Sherry trifle. Not much of this would make it onto the menu any other time of year but looking forward to it

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our 50th wedding anniversary was in Oct and coming up my wife's 70th birthday plus Christmas during lockdown have made it difficult for me to buy presents.
Basically told her to buy anything she fancied off the internet, she is normally a prudent buyer but she has gone to town this year.
I joke about it but it is lovely to see.:D
So far an expensive camera and top range tablet plus many smaller items inc a 'mission control' mini office.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
17 year old bottle of Hibiki whisky and some cigars purchased. Guitars are all in tune and ready to go.

I normally dread Christmas alone, especially if i'm not abroad. However greedy it is, I'm taking some comfort that people are spending it alone like I do every year.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Pretty much sorted for presents, apart from the wife declaring she's run out of wrapping paper last night. That despite me suggesting we needed more and her getting annoyed at me interfering.

The turkey was injected with its brine last night.

The rest of Christmas dinner prep is well underway this morning.

D

Deleted member 18588

First time in years that I am not spending Christmas Eve making bread sauce and stuffing, or prepping the turkey.

Only the two of us this year due to COVID so it's a rather nice joint of locally bred and butchered beef (sirloin).

Far less preparation needed although the Christmas ham was cooked yesterday.

Just need to find the regulation box of Ferrero Rocher now ?