Chris Riley's not so tired now...

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Saw some of the buick at the w e and heard a really interesting chat about Chris Riley - remember him? He was the American who said he was too tired to play 36 holes at the 2004 Ryder Cup...made him a bit of a laughing stock at the time over here so at first i was quietly amused to hear that he has had a disaster in the last couple of years, getting so bad that he walked out of US Q School mid round last yr, but is such a sad story that I began to feel for him!!

Baker Finch, Chip Beck - how many others just wake up one morning and it's gone? Must be a horrrible feeling.

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
I remember him, he always used to be up there. How could he go from being so good a few years ago to being incapable of qualifying for the tour?

I'm struggling to think of players who have disappeared so suddenly but I knwo what a horrible feeling it is get to the first tee and completely lose the ability to play the way you can.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah know what you mean Sparrow - it's bad enough when we amateurs get it but at least we know we can hang up the clubs for a few weeeks and forget about it...or go and drown our sorrows!!!

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Paul Way's the classic one from a European perspective. Strutting the fairways cockily one minute, winning tournaments from his late teens and playing Ryder Cup in his very early twenties; unable to hit his hat by the time he hit mid to late twenties.

Remember years ago reading an article by Tony Jacklin tipping Way up as a surefire future Open winner. Just goes to show - you can never be sure, and nothing lasts for ever (plus other assorted fatalistic cliches....)

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember reading an interview with Ian Baker Finch in GM years ago but long after his loss of form. He was working as a club pro in some fancy resort in Australia as far as I remember. The interviewer played a round with him and he shot 65, so he made the point that he still had ability but it deserted him under the pressure of competition. Having said that, I remember he pointed out that at one point Ian hit something like a 30 yard bunker shot to 3 feet and missed the putt. That seemed to sum up the problem.