Choosing Irons

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
If you had been to a fitting, and had a choice between several sets of irons, one of which was more accurate and longer than the other, but you really didn't like them for whatever reason (be it looks, brand or just "something"), and the other just just loved, which would you go for? And why?

Caveat, both are better than your current set.

I'm not in this situation myself (yet!) but am curious to know how much stock other forumers place in the intangibles (feel, looks) versus cold hard data.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a club or clubs that I didn't like looking at just because they had good numbers. You need to have confidence in the club at address, which in part does mean liking the way it looks, or trusting the brand (whatever your reasons you mentioned). I want complete confidence in my clubs with not a shred of doubt - ideally!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
When i got fitted for mine tried four different brands and I basically just looked at the numbers and consistency. Mind you I had Ping Eye 2s at one point in the past and loved them at the time - others thought them the ugliest thing on the planet - like cameras, phones, computers etc. they are a tool - get what works for you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
For irons, the ones you can hit the desired direction and stance most consistently. You probably shouldn't choose a hideous shovel in the first place. Choose a selection that you like. I hate too much offset, so even though it might perform, I wouldn't be happy with one on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For irons, the ones you can hit the desired direction and stance most consistently. You probably shouldn't choose a hideous shovel in the first place. Choose a selection that you like. I hate too much offset, so even though it might perform, I wouldn't be happy with one on the course.
This is a fair point. If you didn't like the look or the brand you probably wouldn't try it in the first place to even see the numbers.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If you had been to a fitting, and had a choice between several sets of irons, one of which was more accurate and longer than the other, but you really didn't like them for whatever reason (be it looks, brand or just "something"), and the other just just loved, which would you go for? And why?

Caveat, both are better than your current set.

I'm not in this situation myself (yet!) but am curious to know how much stock other forumers place in the intangibles (feel, looks) versus cold hard data.

I have to say I'd not be inclined to buy a golf club I didn't really like. In reality I'd probably avoid even trying it.

When I change my irons I absolutely want it to be for something I love. Something that is good quality, looks the part and that I'll have for a long time. Current irons are 8 years old and don't give me that feeling - they've served their purpose, but I'm not naive to think that a new set of bats will really improve my game - hence the old clubs are still in the bag.

What will improve my game is practice, lessons and training. The tools are secondary, so I'd absolutely go for love over function (assuming we're talking marginal differences in a short sample here). Remember the archer is far more important than the arrow.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never bought a set of clubs that I did not like the look of for some reason and in my golfing life I have proably been through a well above average number of sets.

14 sets of irons in one year trying to find a replacement set for ones I loved (ended up just reshafting the old set).

Sam_R

Visit site
Look good = feel good = play good. It's the universal law that applies when buying any sporting equipment or attire.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Timely thread...

I have a fitting on Friday for new irons. I have zero thoughts about what to buy apart from not paying ridiculous prices, other than that I'm mainly looking for a bit more control and better feel.
I currently have Ping G20's but will probably move away from Ping due to their inserts constantly falling out, I can't be doing with that anymore.

Any advice on what to ask at the fitting as it's the first proper one I've been to?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good fitter should be asking you all.the right questions, just tell.them.exactly what you'd like to gain from a new set other than the inserts not falling out ?

JGolfer

Visit site
Would always go for the one I like the look of as long as performance was there. I always look at it like “I’m 165 yards away, I need to carry it 160, water short and going long is a no no, would I rather a club that I would feel 100% confident in, or one that I didn’t feel confident in”

Performance is great, but if you have no confidence in it, I’d argue in real golf, the one that maybe performed worse, would actually perform better.

I would never try a club, I know I’m not going to love. Clubs aren't cheap.

Though I would never left brand affect my choices. I think most brands have good looking clubs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been there. Got fitted for G25's back in the day. By far the best on test on the day but once they came back and I had to use the short irons for chipping around the greens I hated the look of them. It wasn't something I had even considered at the fitting nor had it been mentioned by the fitter. I couldn't get over the aesthetics and it was sapping confidence whenever I missed a green to the point where I jacked them for a set of fitted I25's (but got a good deal on the G's so didn't lose out too much)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
This is an interesting thread. I have irons at the moment which are well thought of.
My next set of irons will be forever irons, and I will have a proper full fitting by an independent fitter, not a shop or club pro, that latter two being ( understandably) limited in their proffered options.
My standard of hitting irons is fairly good when I hit them right.
My handicap is because of the fact that I don't consistently hit them right.
Not because they are no good as irons, or that they are not forgiving enough.
The same thing would happen whether they were beautiful looking blades, or ugly offset etc cavity backs.
So, I don't think the choice is as the O P has given.
What I mean is that in a proper fitting, where shaft parameters etc, get the best out of your proper swing, it should be possible to put that shaft in a good looking iron and get the similar ( in terms of distance dispersion) result , as you would from putting it in an ugly iron.
And a blade type would allow easier shaping, if you had that ability, as well.

Surely, badly hitting a "forgiving" cavity back will give you , most times, as bad a result as badly hitting a blade. Not the same result, mind, I'm not saying that, but both results are likely to put you in a bad place. Because you will be in an unpredictable place, I.e somewhere other than the green or fairway that you intended to hit.
So, if I'm heading into a penalty area, I would sooner do it with a beautiful looking blade in my hand?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What I mean is that in a proper fitting, where shaft parameters etc, get the best out of your proper swing, it should be possible to put that shaft in a good looking iron and get the similar ( in terms of distance dispersion) result , as you would from putting it in an ugly iron.
And a blade type would allow easier shaping, if you had that ability, as well.

Surely, badly hitting a "forgiving" cavity back will give you , most times, as bad a result as badly hitting a blade. Not the same result, mind, I'm not saying that, but both results are likely to put you in a bad place. Because you will be in an unpredictable place, I.e somewhere other than the green or fairway that you intended to hit.
So, if I'm heading into a penalty area, I would sooner do it with a beautiful looking blade in my hand?

It's certainly true that a cavity back will perform better with a poor strike, but there is a another very important function of the cavity back... and that is launch.

A cavity back, or game improvement has a lower centre of gravity and so can help to 'launch' a ball to a more optimal ball flight for players with slower swing speed. It will likely spin less as well, and so not have as much stopping power or shot shape capacity - but ultimately if you don't have the swing speed, especially for the mid and longer irons, you will likely get very poor results in terms of distance from a blade.