Chipping yips

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can get over the chipping tips- part of which is accepting that the occassional silly isn't a result of tips.

5 years ago I went through a period where I simply couldnt take the club away with anything other than a putter around the green. This coincided with having previously been chipping better than ever before in my 40 years of golf (results wise).

Professional advice pointed out that I was using smaller and smaller muscles to control my chips; which eventually simply failed.

Weeks of dedicated work (I had time) including a cobbled together aid and a real video camera got me to point where I was competent and using a rather mechanical method using only the larger muscles - no feeling of feel, just mechanical repetition.

It took a lot more work to take that forwards with more lofted clubs and pitch/lob shots - but I sort of got there.

I still revert from time to time, but am confident enough in the cause to be able to reverse things before I get to the state I did before.

Good luck

mat100p

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Left field but look at linear method by Gary Smith. Made a real difference to my short game

Great videos these.
I've struggled this year with my chipping more than ever in 30years of playing.
Only last night I was practicing a similar move to these videos. Watch closely how much he rotates his hips on the thru/down swing . This it's something I and perhaps the OP may have stop doing . It almost had a feeling of deliberately pull the club well left after impact.
I'm keeping my fingers Crossed it works on the course on Wednesday.

19th hole

Medal Winner
Visit site
There are 2 things that I would recommend. Try them separately and see how you get on.

1. Change something, the more dramatic the better. e.g: your grip - try playing the chip cack handed. Your brain will interpret this as learning a new skill rather that trying to fix something that is broken.
2. Concentrate on your breath. Think about breathing smoothly through your nose and deep down into you belly (not your chest). This draws your attention away from whatever else is going through your head.

Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great videos these.
I've struggled this year with my chipping more than ever in 30years of playing.
Only last night I was practicing a similar move to these videos. Watch closely how much he rotates his hips on the thru/down swing . This it's something I and perhaps the OP may have stop doing . It almost had a feeling of deliberately pull the club well left after impact.
I'm keeping my fingers Crossed it works on the course on Wednesday.

As proof of the pudding

A mid-handicapper using it but it works

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This is the bit people never get, unless they have had the yips. I am a good chipper, I have an excellent short game, and mostly am a very good putter. In order to get the yips, I have to be all of the aforementioned. Otherwise I would just be a bit rubbish.
If I had low expectations, achieving them would not be stressful. It is way too easy to chip badly whilst not giving a monkeys.
You only really get the yips when the brain tries to interfere with something you previously did well naturally, without thinking.

D

Deleted member 21258

This is the bit people never get, unless they have had the yips. I am a good chipper, I have an excellent short game, and mostly am a very good putter. In order to get the yips, I have to be all of the aforementioned. Otherwise I would just be a bit rubbish.
If I had low expectations, achieving them would not be stressful. It is way too easy to chip badly whilst not giving a monkeys.
You only really get the yips when the brain tries to interfere with something you previously did well naturally, without thinking.

Not sure I would quite agree with that, I think I got the yips one day putting (early on in playing golf and was rubbish at putting).

I couldn't even take the putter back along a line, it was wobbling all over the place and had no control of it, was like I had the shakes and didn't know why it was happenning.:D Never putted right hand down properly after that and knew I had to change straight away to get away from that one game. It was just so mental, even my playing partners could see it going on and passed their compliments on:devilish:

Went left hand down and touch wood not had it since.

To OP, change things, start chipping left hand down or left handed, just change it. Best of luck tho.(y)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not sure I would quite agree with that, I think I got the yips one day putting (early on in playing golf and was rubbish at putting).

I couldn't even take the putter back along a line, it was wobbling all over the place and had no control of it, was like I had the shakes and didn't know why it was happenning.:D Never putted right hand down properly after that and knew I had to change straight away to get away from that one game. It was just so mental, even my playing partners could see it going on and passed their compliments on:devilish:

Went left hand down and touch wood not had it since.

To OP, change things, start chipping left hand down or left handed, just change it. Best of luck tho.(y)

Doesn't sound like the yips to me. Something else, but not yips.