Chippers

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I am aware this is a controversial subject. I have only been playing five minutes, and want to know what you guys think. I have been advised by some that you can just use a 6/7/8 iron, and it will do the same thing. From my limited experience I have found that I can use my PW from about 100/80 yards, and then use a 6/7/8 iron from then on to pitch and run, until I get to about 20 yards from the green. I then either chip the ball about 5 feet, or send it to the back of the green or beyond. Having read up on the subject, some say they are a golf club sent from heaven, and others say they are a waste of money. The advantage being that they are a lot shorter than a 7 iron, and therefore psychologically help you play a different shot. Anyway, I have just won one on ebay for £4, and am going to give it a go. Incidentally, it is going to replace my 3 iron, which never comes out of the bag.

So, what are your experiences and thoughts ?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Chippers are only for old ladies! Learn to chip with a proper golf club that can be used for other types of shot! :)

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go for it! It uses up one slot in your bag but is great for getting it close to the hole!

Ignore the 'learn to chip' brigade, and remember it how many shots, and having fun, not how you do it !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am aware this is a controversial subject. I have only been playing five minutes, and want to know what you guys think. I have been advised by some that you can just use a 6/7/8 iron, and it will do the same thing. From my limited experience I have found that I can use my PW from about 100/80 yards, and then use a 6/7/8 iron from then on to pitch and run, until I get to about 20 yards from the green. I then either chip the ball about 5 feet, or send it to the back of the green or beyond. Having read up on the subject, some say they are a golf club sent from heaven, and others say they are a waste of money. The advantage being that they are a lot shorter than a 7 iron, and therefore psychologically help you play a different shot. Anyway, I have just won one on ebay for £4, and am going to give it a go. Incidentally, it is going to replace my 3 iron, which never comes out of the bag.

So, what are your experiences and thoughts ?

The work of the devil. Get a chipping lesson. Much better long term (although with my short game I may not be the ideal person to be commenting!)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Send Smiffy a private message, he bought one and it transformed his short game. Sure he'll be happy to pass on a few tips :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The work of the devil. Get a chipping lesson. Much better long term (although with my short game I may not be the ideal person to be commenting!)

The OP is retired and only just taken up the game. Why make things harder by trying to do things the traditional way.

I'd say try the chipper and if it works stick with it. The game is meant to be fun, and it's more fun hitting good shots than fats and thins.

Maybe practice chipping with a normal iron when you have the chance before you go out to play, or in the back garden, lounge (when the wife is out ;)) or anywhere where it doesn't matter.

If you end up being a good chipper with a 7 iron or whatever then taking the chipper out will make room for another club you might find you need as you improve.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lol cracks me up......the first 2 responses advising not to use one are from the 2 people that confess to have the worst short game around!!
Priceless...:rofl:

To the OP...if it makes it easier, use one. :thup:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Lol cracks me up......the first 2 responses advising not to use one are from the 2 people that confess to have the worst short game around!!

To the OP...if it makes it easier, use one. :thup:

I am just as bad at chipping with a chipper as any other club! :(

D

Deleted member 16999

For £4.00, absolutely, get out there and enjoy, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone have the scotty chipper :)

sport-equipment-golf-font-b-club-b-font-font-b-chipper-b-font-select-2-black.jpg

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
A lad in our group uses one and we all take the p**s tell him tee off on reds and put his skirt on.But he is great with it. If it knocks a few shots off your score then use one.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Yep. You couldn't make it up!!

To the OP. Use it. For the little chips from just around the green it will save you shots. And that's what it's all about.