Chippers

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't go wrong for the price, give it a go.

Technique is still very important so be sure to practice first!

I do not have a chipper as my short game is pretty fair.
However I do use a hybrid held right down the shaft in the soft we have at this time.
I use it from the fringe mainly but also perhap 20 or 30 yards if the lie is poor, needs a little practice but worth a try,
For what it is worth I seldom putt from distance when off the green, no big deal but it is not something I ever practise.
Experiment is always a good option, especially at the moment when perhaps our courses are closed or very heavy under foot.
Ewsweeper

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just make sure it conforms to the rules...

What Rules apply to “chippers”?

A.
A 'chipper' is an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees. As most players adopt a 'putting stroke' when using a chipper, there can be a tendency to design the club as if it was a putter. To eliminate confusion, the Rules which apply to 'chippers' include:
1. The shaft must be attached to the clubhead at the heel (Appendix II, 2c);
2. The grip must be circular in cross-section (Appendix II, 3(i)) and only one grip is permitted (Appendix II, 3(v));
3. The clubhead must be generally plain in shape (Appendix II, 4a) and have only one striking face (Appendix II, 4d); and
4. The face of the club must conform to specifications with regard to hardness, surface roughness, material and markings in the impact area (Appendix II, 5).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When i started playing, chipping was the thing i practiced the most and enjoyed doing so. I would chip for at least half hour a day. to start with into a bucket from diff distances, then with different clubs. Not at a golf club either. when we first moved back here we rented a cottage at the top of a hill so had limited space, so practiced short chips. when we got the house, which admittedly has a big garden, i practiced there. Over the washing line, over the green house, over a line of tree's in the orchard.

all that stood me in good stead as its one of the strongest parts of my game and now hardly ever practice, but its still pretty good as i learned to do it at the start.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just make sure it conforms to the rules...

What Rules apply to “chippers”?

A.
A 'chipper' is an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees. As most players adopt a 'putting stroke' when using a chipper, there can be a tendency to design the club as if it was a putter. To eliminate confusion, the Rules which apply to 'chippers' include:
1. The shaft must be attached to the clubhead at the heel (Appendix II, 2c);
2. The grip must be circular in cross-section (Appendix II, 3(i)) and only one grip is permitted (Appendix II, 3(v));
3. The clubhead must be generally plain in shape (Appendix II, 4a) and have only one striking face (Appendix II, 4d); and
4. The face of the club must conform to specifications with regard to hardness, surface roughness, material and markings in the impact area (Appendix II, 5).

I might use a chipper IF you could fit an oversize putter grip to it, but the rules don't allow this! With a round grip I find no advantage over a short iron.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
lifeforce...draining...must...bin...thread....

Chippers, really gentlemen? We all profess to love the game but would rather buy a crutch (an ugly as sin one at that) than have a remedial lesson?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
However I do use a hybrid held right down the shaft in the soft we have at this time.
I use it from the fringe mainly but also perhap 20 or 30 yards if the lie is poor, needs a little practice but worth a try

The hybrid chip is great, I am so glad I learnt it and took the time to practice it. Saved me countless shots over the years!

OP might be better off with the chipper for now, it's a crutch in many ways but it's up to the OP if they want to do something different or stick with it.

Personally it's an 7/8 iron or hybrid for me when the 9 or my wedges fly too much or too high.

Diamond

Visit site
Just found this thread from 4 years ago. As someone who has just started the game I have ordered a chipper for £19.99 off Amazon (Ben Sayers), all the reviews are excellent. However the lads at work said it is a cheat club which I found bizarre because one of them has spent £450 on a driver. I am having lessons on my PW and SW chipping and pitching but in the interim the chipper can make me enjoy the rounds I am playing and maybe help me get to my goal of 50 shots for 9 holes. (Current best is 56...) What are peoples thoughts on this?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
They are ok but you can do the same with your 8,9,pw, a friend of mine used one for ages and dropped it for a gap wedge and hasn't looked back

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just found this thread from 4 years ago. As someone who has just started the game I have ordered a chipper for £19.99 off Amazon (Ben Sayers), all the reviews are excellent. However the lads at work said it is a cheat club which I found bizarre because one of them has spent £450 on a driver. I am having lessons on my PW and SW chipping and pitching but in the interim the chipper can make me enjoy the rounds I am playing and maybe help me get to my goal of 50 shots for 9 holes. (Current best is 56...) What are peoples thoughts on this?

Go with it but remember to keep up the practice with all the other short game clubs as then you will lean to hit a variety of shots . The chipper, like a putter, is designed to hit one type of shot only. There was time when I carried only one wedge (52 deg) and learned to hit every type of wedge shot with it so it made more room in the bag for other clubs.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I have one, and it is an excellent addition to my bag. There's time's my chipping is 'on' and it (the chipper) stays in the bag; then there's a period where the chipping goes 'off' (duffed, thinned, whatever) and the confidence goes, so just to keep scoring in the comp I'll happily reach for the chipper. Guarantees me being on the green, I'm often closer than with my chipping so I've no issue. Some people won't use it; Guy I play with on a Saturday will use extensively from about 15 yards from the green (his chipping is awful) and another guy I play with sometimes on a Sunday is an absolute demon with his.

Diamond

Visit site
I am finding that from about 50 yards in I am struggling and try and push an 8 or 9 iron. Hopefully the chipper will provide me a more consistent round and as i only have 11 clubs in my bag currently adding this wont mean dropping one. I am assuming that once I get to 15 clubs it will be the one I drop.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate who plays off 13 uses a chipper. When he tries to chip with a wedge he strikes right down on it as if he's striking a 150 yard iron and usually duffs it. I think chippers are a waste of space as I just play chip and runs with my 8 iron for exactly the same result. But we've told him to try and chip & run with the 8 iron exactly like the chipper, and his brain just doesn't let him do it right for some reason. So he goes back to the chipper. I don't think he'll get any lower than 13 hcap until he learns to chip with more variety though to be honest. As others have said, it's probably not flexible enough in the long term.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think the forummer who resurrected this thread should be banned for life - for making me look at that picture of "DelC".

I had to "un-ignore" to remind myself!! I laughed out loud when I saw your post...

.... on topic, whatever gets the job done for you Diamond is good enough reason!! The objections are correct, but in the short term, why not!!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
With driver, dedicated driving and sand irons, and putter, the chipper would be the fifth shot-specific, one-trick-pony utility club in my bag and leave me with just nine clubs in the standard, incremental loft progression part of the set. I'm surprised that I don't want one.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For those that duff and blade chips they are useful.

If there was no limit to the number or clubs we can carry I would definitely have one or two other them in the bag.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am finding that from about 50 yards in I am struggling and try and push an 8 or 9 iron. Hopefully the chipper will provide me a more consistent round and as i only have 11 clubs in my bag currently adding this wont mean dropping one. I am assuming that once I get to 15 clubs it will be the one I drop.
Try using an 7 or 8 iron but in the same way you use a putter, same grip and same stroke.