Chicken Wings

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
I was watching some videos of my swing and I noticed that I still suffer of "chicken wings".

Do you know any drill to get rid off those?

Thanks.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
keep your elbows as close together as possible and work on a wide swing arc with your arms extended as much as possible while not creating tension in them. I used to advocate the glove held under the arms but found it reduced the swing arc and created hooks and pushes.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
keep your elbows as close together as possible and work on a wide swing arc with your arms extended as much as possible while not creating tension in them. I used to advocate the glove held under the arms but found it reduced the swing arc and created hooks and pushes.

Can I ask are you a pro?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can I ask are you a pro?

Not a pro, just someone who plays a lot of golf, has studied the game in great depth and likes to pass on things I have learned. Maybe more a frustrated Pro, left it to late for that but in retrospect would have loved to have been a golf coach.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I ask are you a pro?

Not a pro, just someone who plays a lot of golf, has studied the game in great depth and likes to pass on things I have learned. Maybe more a frustrated Pro, left it to late for that but in retrospect would have loved to have been a golf coach.

Well, you should think about the criticism you dish out its a bit heavy handed IMO.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, you should think about the criticism you dish out its a bit heavy handed IMO.

Not with you there mate? I dont deal ot criticism, I explain my opinion on the golf swing, if someone questions my advice then I try to elaborate on my ideas and try to see the others point of view. If someone just bats my suggestion into the boundry without due debate or with a patronising comment then I guess I will be prepared to defend my stance. I am sorry you see this as heavy handed, nothing I say is designed that way.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not with you there mate? I dont deal ot criticism, I explain my opinion on the golf swing, if someone questions my advice then I try to elaborate on my ideas and try to see the others point of view. If someone just bats my suggestion into the boundry without due debate or with a patronising comment then I guess I will be prepared to defend my stance. I am sorry you see this as heavy handed, nothing I say is designed that way.

Hi. Your grip is not good, your hands seem to working against each other, you should try and get your palms facing in the same direction. You are swinging too much with your arms and have poor connection between your arms, shoulders and lower body, you need to work on taking the club back with your arms and shoulders together then start the downswing with your lower body. You are keeping your trail foot on the ground too long and not kicking in your trail knee in the downswing, this is creating a poor weight transfer and little hip rotation. Your arms are breaking down in the downswing and chicken winging which will be creating poor impact and bringing inconsistency to your shots. Sorry for sounding a little critical but I think you need some coaching to clear up these issues.

Not heavy handed

How do you get your palms facing the same way? :D

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hi. Your grip is not good, your hands seem to working against each other, you should try and get your palms facing in the same direction. You are swinging too much with your arms and have poor connection between your arms, shoulders and lower body, you need to work on taking the club back with your arms and shoulders together then start the downswing with your lower body. You are keeping your trail foot on the ground too long and not kicking in your trail knee in the downswing, this is creating a poor weight transfer and little hip rotation. Your arms are breaking down in the downswing and chicken winging which will be creating poor impact and bringing inconsistency to your shots. Sorry for sounding a little critical but I think you need some coaching to clear up these issues.

Not heavy handed

I agree with 100% Chris. Must admit when I first read His post you have Quoted. I though it was A joke as not much of it made sence. Then after reading it again I realised he ment it. Was going to respond but thought better of it. But glad someone pointed it out well done.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not heavy handed

No need for confusion, just ask if you dont follow my thread. Your palms must both face each other so they create a yin and yang type harmony, such that neither are fighting for domination, the way they face is towards the axis normal of the clubshaft. I hope that helps clear up your misunderstanding.

Maybe you can see that the OP was looking for advice on his swing and this is what I attempted to offer him, it is unfortunate that you have seen my comments as "heavy handed" absolutely not was intended.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brian. To be honest if its intended or not. Maybe its just your normal manner of writing. But it does tend to come across rather abrupt. this is not ment as any criticism just an obsevation.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Brian. To be honest if its intended or not. Maybe its just your normal manner of writing. But it does tend to come across rather abrupt. this is not ment as any criticism just an obsevation.

Maybe my comments are a little 'matter of fact' but I guess that because I am trying to clarify the point. I am only interested to debate golf, to learn, to offer my opinions and to assist others. If anyone finds my posts difficult to follow or cryptic then please ask for clarification, I will be only too happy to elaborate. I know I am a newbey to this forum but please bear with me, I think you will find that I can be a genuine and friendly member that is passionate about the great game and can bring something worthwhile to the forum.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brain I have no problem with your manner. Call a spade a spade is ok by me. But some on here are a wee bit sensertive. Some of your posts do have to be read a few times to get the gist of them I will admit, to begin with. But I can now follow your manner of writing lol.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe my comments are a little 'matter of fact' but I guess that because I am trying to clarify the point. I am only interested to debate golf, to learn, to offer my opinions and to assist others. If anyone finds my posts difficult to follow or cryptic then please ask for clarification, I will be only too happy to elaborate. I know I am a newbey to this forum but please bear with me, I think you will find that I can be a genuine and friendly member that is passionate about the great game and can bring something worthwhile to the forum.

Brian, I have absolutely no doubt that you can and will contribute to the forum which is great. You just need to "temper" your style of writing, I know if that was ms asking for advice and I received yours like that I wouldn't be best pleased. We are all here to learn and progress and we are really a friendly bunch ;)

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cant honestly see what the problem is here. Someone posted a thread asking for some advice, SocketRocket gives an opinion trying to help then gets others having a go at him for no reason other than they got out the wrong side of bed!

If the OP doesnt want to take his advice on board then he doesnt have to, it's his choice, but dont have a go at the fella for giving an opinion which was asked for.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cant honestly see what the problem is here. Someone posted a thread asking for some advice, SocketRocket gives an opinion trying to help then gets others having a go at him for no reason other than they got out the wrong side of bed!

If the OP doesnt want to take his advice on board then he doesnt have to, it's his choice, but dont have a go at the fella for giving an opinion which was asked for.

JohnO it was not the advice, that was generally sound. But the manner it was delivered was a bit abrupt. Thats all. No one was having a go at anyone. Just a friendly Chat thats all.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Maybe it's just me, but I personally cant see what is abrupt about the above

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few line spaces and paragraphs would probably help to soften the effect...

.... like this...

It comes across as a bit ranty / stream of consciousness otherwise :)