Cherished Number Plates.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Two points of view.

1. Spending £162,500 or any large amount on a simple thing like a number plate seems so ridiculous it could be viewed as stupidity.
2. If you've got plenty of money and it gives you pleasure, then you are free to indulge yourself.

I can understand both views - they are valid views - no need to defend or negate either for me.

I like to see an amusing number plate - don't think I'll ever buy one.

FAB 1

"Oh, Parker?"
"Yes, m'Lady."

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I was following a car with P1 NUP yesterday - unfortunately couldn't get alongside it to see if they really were or not.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stupid? That's in the eye of the beholder. Some will say yes and some will say no.

But my view is that 'cherished plates' used to be called 'vanity plates' . Given that they serve no practical purpose, that's probably a more apt description.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
They can be a useful indicator.

BO55 on an old Range Rover sport or X5 for example, is a good indicator that the driver is best being given a wide birth.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stupid? That's in the eye of the beholder. Some will say yes and some will say no.

But my view is that 'cherished plates' used to be called 'vanity plates' . Given that they serve no practical purpose, that's probably a more apt description.
They are often used to 'de-age' the car.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'd imagine personal number plates are a decent investment to be honest - and probably has tax benefits if you've got a savvy accountant.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two points of view.

1. Spending £162,500 or any large amount on a simple thing like a number plate seems so ridiculous it could be viewed as stupidity.
2. If you've got plenty of money and it gives you pleasure, then you are free to indulge yourself.

I get that, in reference to a £162,500 set of plates, but I just want to know why IanMcC thinks people who have private plates are stupid.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Funnily enough, I was looking up some plates off the back of this thread out of boredom, and it says it's actually illegal to do that. i.e. they won't let you register a later year's reg on your car to make it look newer than it is.
Yes indeedy. You can put an older plate on but not a newer one than your actual reg. My good ladies car has an 04 plate despite being much newer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes indeedy. You can put an older plate on but not a newer one than your actual reg. My good ladies car has an 04 plate despite being much newer.
My wife's uncle did similar. Got a personalised plate that had 68 (I think it's his birthyear) and his initials. His car is three or so years newer than that though. So effectively, everyone else on the road has no idea it's a personal plate, and they just think his car is three years older than it is. 🤷‍♂️

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My old company car's reg was SD60 ABV, which was just a "random" plate available when it was registered. My work? Springbank Distillery... I always maintained the company should've tried to keep the plate but it seemed I was the only one who thought so :LOL:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife's uncle did similar. Got a personalised plate that had 68 (I think it's his birthyear) and his initials. His car is three or so years newer than that though. So effectively, everyone else on the road has no idea it's a personal plate, and they just think his car is three years older than it is. 🤷‍♂️
Some private plates are easier to spot than others, names for example, even when using the LLNN LLL format.
But some are very obvious. My 2020 M340i has a "M" plate on it which would make it a 1994/1995 but it's clearly obvious that it isn't and can't be.