Chemical treatments being applied to the golf course

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Concerning the Health & Safety of players on the golf course what is the legal requirement to make them aware of treatments being applied to the various areas as there must hardly be a day go by that some treatment is not being used.?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The last time I checked with our course manager there are no agro-chemicals that may be used on golf courses that pose a risk to the health and safety of players (or workers).
There are some other industrial chemicals that may be used but only if appropriate warning notices are posted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We get notifications on club v1 and via email and there is signage by the 1st and 10th greens. As rulefan states there shouldn't be any that pose a risk but I think there would still need to be a policy to warn players

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We get notifications on club v1 and via email and there is signage by the 1st and 10th greens. As rulefan states there shouldn't be any that pose a risk but I think there would still need to be a policy to warn players
We get a daily notice at about 6.00 am informing us of all work being done that day. I addition we get notifications re any work that may cause unusual interference to play during the next few days (eg bunker re-sanding/re-construction, tree felling, under growth clearance, spraying) .

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In answer to the OP, a COSHH Risk Assessment is legally required to have been completed by a Competent Person.
Yes, that is to be expected but if what is being applied is just routine treatments that pose no threat following the risk assessment, then is there a need/requirement to post notices? I understand that it would be good practice to keep members informed & it seems many Clubs do just that, particularly the Members Clubs but is it a requirement if it's been assessed to be no risk?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, that is to be expected but if what is being applied is just routine treatments that pose no threat following the risk assessment, then is there a need/requirement to post notices? I understand that it would be good practice to keep members informed & it seems many Clubs do just that, particularly the Members Clubs but is it a requirement if it's been assessed to be no risk?
I would say not, the club could demonstrate that it had carried out due diligence even in the unlikely event that someone had an unexpected allergic type reaction.

However, it would certainly be prudent to advise users of the course.

We get notifications by email and WhatsApp, those only reach members and only those members who have the App and check emails regularly, so the notification is also posted on the board outside the pro shop.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Ask your club management-they need to know the requirements.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most fertiliser we use now are seaweed based.
Anything dangerous was banned years ago

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Chemicals included, I suspect there's loads of things that non-member players should know about before teeing off and despite efforts I'm sure they won't have a clue