Cheap laptop?

RichA

Visit site
An old laptop that I donated to my Dad has packed up.
Any recommendations for something for a non-tech minded 89 year old who will probably only use it to check his bank balance and buy plants, please. I was thinking chromebook, but I've never used one.
Looking for value, simplicity and a quick OS.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son used a chromebook for his a levels and then degree (his school did a bulk buy and supply thing which we bought it through. I think it was around the £200 mark). It did him fine and didn't slow up at all, obviously that is one of it's big selling points. I suspect it would be ideal for your dad as he wouldn't want to be downloading lots of things anyway.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
An old laptop that I donated to my Dad has packed up.
Any recommendations for something for a non-tech minded 89 year old who will probably only use it to check his bank balance and buy plants, please. I was thinking chromebook, but I've never used one.
Looking for value, simplicity and a quick OS.
What browser is he currently using? He doesn't want to be finding his way around a new browser.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Keep checking the Amazon 'Warehouse' section they often have refurbished units that come with a warranty.

RichA

Visit site
He can afford a new one. The cheap description was mostly because he only needs it for browsing. He's 89 and neither a graphic artist or gamer.

RichardRichieRich

Visit site
Look for something from Dell. I bought my mother a not-so-expensive Dell, I don't remember the exact model name. But something related to the Inspirion series.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just picking up on this thread.

Looking for a Windows laptop mainly for straightforward office work, but as also needs to cope with a bit of music production willing to spend up to £400 for a bit better processor. Don’t know if Windows 11 is much improvement over Windows 10. For urgency I really need to buy tomorrow and for convenience from Curry’s. Advice plse.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/315_3226_30328_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Been trying to do some comparisons of those £350-£450 lappies currys sell and I haven’t a scoobies. I really couldn’t tell a processor chip from a French fry. And no idea about storage, SSD, RAM etc. Not got a clue so please - all advice and HELP!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The sort of spec that Fundy has quoted will do you fine, as long as you are sure that the 256 gb capacity will be sufficient for your pics, videos, music, & Documents.

How big is your current hard drive and how full is it?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The sort of spec that Fundy has quoted will do you fine, as long as you are sure that the 256 gb capacity will be sufficient for your pics, videos, music, & Documents.

How big is your current hard drive and how full is it?
Sounds fine. It’s at least 5 yrs old - my lad has it - I doubt he needs more than 256 gb as he does his gaming on an Xbox and uses an external hard drive for that.

The Dell looked attractive with the money off even though I’d only hoped to spend up to £400…but an additional £49 wouldn’t kill me.