Changing Putter

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Changing my putter and probably going for The Ping Sigma.

it is between The Valor 400. It has a 400gm head weight and 38 “ Shaft. Cannot be adjusted. Present putter is 34” It has 50 gms added to the butt to increase stability. Sure the pro would be able to take 4 inches off.

the other putter is similar is style, 365 grams but can be adjusted from 32 to 36 inches so would fit my requirement.

Any help on the benefits or otherwise, mainly how it will affect the first putter, would be appreciate.

i am NOT looking at any other putters .

Thanks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

it is between The Valor 400. It has a 400gm head weight and 38 “ Shaft. Cannot be adjusted. Present putter is 34” It has 50 gms added to the butt to increase stability. Sure the pro would be able to take 4 inches off.

the other putter is similar is style, 365 grams but can be adjusted from 32 to 36 inches so would fit my requirement.

Any help on the benefits or otherwise, mainly how it will affect the first putter, would be appreciate.

Thanks
With a 50 g counter balance in the butt you might not notice the difference. You can up the weight to suit .
But the lie angle may need to be adjusted if you shorten the shaft.
Try it and see would be my advice.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thanks

Buying the first one and cutting 4 inches off would require the putter to be completely rebalanced. It is designed to be longer than you are used to with a counterbalance weight at the top of the grip to make the putter head more stable (you still grip as you would your current one). If you havent tried a counterbalance putter before I would definitely find one to try before buying (its an acquired taste imo).

The second one and having the shaft set at 34" is more replicable of your current set up for sure.

If it was me I would ideally try before if I buy, if youre buying 2nd hand then Id buy the latter

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really see the point of adjustable length putters. Wouldn't you be better off doing a fitting or at least trying a whole bunch of putters out, and finding your ideal length? As others have said, adjusting length could change the balance or lie angle, rather than just finding a putter that's well balanced to start with.

Even in AG they'll do a quick ten minute 'fitting' for free I think which has got to be better than nothing. They use a mirror on the ground to check the lie and swinging arc I think.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't really see the point of adjustable length putters. Wouldn't you be better off doing a fitting or at least trying a whole bunch of putters out, and finding your ideal length? As others have said, adjusting length could change the balance or lie angle, rather than just finding a putter that's well balanced to start with.

Even in AG they'll do a quick ten minute 'fitting' for free I think which has got to be better than nothing. They use a mirror on the ground to check the lie and swinging arc I think.
It’s easier to sell when it dosnt work as it fits all golfers.

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Where you fitted for 34? If not then it would be worth getting checked to make sure that you are using the correct size of putter before you get the grinder out!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for your comments and advice. Yes I was fitted last time. I have bought the Ping which is adjustabl. This made sense as the 38 inch did not feel right.

Plent of help from our pro. All that is required now is to learn how to putt!