Changing careers

MoonPig

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Following on from the other thread Im seriously considering in the next 10 years changing careers. Currently I am a headteacher managing 40 staff, a budget around the 1 million mark, writing all policies, overall responsibility for health and safety and analysing data plus obvious public relations/dealing with the public etc..

I am not complaining, but I am looking at another 30 years in the role before retirement. Despite the stress etc.. I enjoy the job but another 30 years is a long time.

My question is because I havent got a trade and my whole career has been in education what other craeer path / job could I seriously look at without dropping too much salary. I have looked at Ofsted and lecturing but fancy getting out of education in the future and trying my hand at something else.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You need to look at your self and your interests out of work, look beyond the salary, as will be difficult earning the same salary your on now in a new career, as you will not have the same experience for a start.

Look at some thing you will enjoy doing first, then the money will not be such a bourden.

I can not help with what to do, but I would look at the above and think on that level. Teaching on another level can be just as rewarding, but with out the stress.....

Jammy

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
my grandpa was a head master and retired when he was 50 55, played golf every day after that. im sure youve got a good wage and pension. surely you get the enjoyment of knowing all the kids and their kids are getting the best education in your area. play more golf its a win win situation. imo

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Many teachers I've known who have got out of teaching - rather than decided it wasn't for them - have gone into Sales/Sales Management roles. Not 100% sure why, but the 'proper preparation and presentation' might well have something to do with it.

A couple of others have gone into training roles elsewhere, but that's not really leaving 'teaching'.

Biggest question you need to answer is 'Why are you considering changing?'. Lack of headroom or lack of drive? If it's lack of headroom, the only way is to find a 'bigger' school. If it's lack of drive, please get out as soon as possible - your staff, pupils and community need and deserve more!

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would say your skills are transferable across the board if you are looking at a management level. At the end of the day, whatever industry you look into you don't need to be an expert to be a manager, you need to be good with dealing with staff/situations - like now for example, you couldn't actually teach an A-level french lesson? (well unless you can, in which case tres bien!)

MoonPig

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Certainly not lack of drive, in the role and education system as it is now you can`t afford not to be driven. The main reason as someone else has suggested is what is the next step. I have risen to the role of head very quickly and believe I am doing a very good job but as a naturally driven and ambitious person I am already looking at the next career move so that I don`t become stale thus effecting the quality of education. Im anticipating that 10 years time I might reach that plateau.

Regarding age I am in my very early 30s and will look at retiring in my early sixties.

How may people have been in the same job for the whole of their working life? Why did you stay, did you lose your drive?

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly not lack of drive, in the role and education system as it is now you can`t afford not to be driven. The main reason as someone else has suggested is what is the next step. I have risen to the role of head very quickly and believe I am doing a very good job but as a naturally driven and ambitious person I am already looking at the next career move so that I don`t become stale thus effecting the quality of education. Im anticipating that 10 years time I might reach that plateau.

Regarding age I am in my very early 30s and will look at retiring in my early sixties.

How may people have been in the same job for the whole of their working life? Why did you stay, did you lose your drive?

I suggest of you need a challenge you apply for the head teacher role at collegiate high school in blackpool. It needs a lot of help

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

in awe at reaching a respected and challenging position already, how about running the country?

nickd499

Medal Winner
Visit site
Move into the property market whilst staying where you are for now, get good enough at it and that can be your full time job. Simples.

If however you want a change in career path i'd imagine you use many skills in your current role that would suit some kind of management job that others have suggested.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think carefully before choosing a new career. The holidays will be much, much shorter!!! :ears:

(Reaches for tin hat and takes cover!!!)

hahahaha...

Might have been me that started the other thread that you mentioned. I've started to look into moving on but are going to stick with my current job for at least 2 years, training and qualifications could become expensive and is going to be a real struggle but fingers crossed it will all work out.