Change of Ball

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Morning all.

Quick question. I'm considering changing my ball to something that will give me a little more control around the greens.

I currently play a Taylormade/Maxfli Noodle and although it feels soft off the tee and gives a good ball flight, it seems to lack when it comes to control around the greens.

I'm looking at either the Srizon Z-Star or the Taylormade Burner TP. Anybody play either of these balls?? If so, care to share your opinion??

Any other advice on alternate balls would be much appreciated.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I plan on playing one of these this year. I have two dozen Z-Star to try out that I got for Christmas and a dozen (Paul McGinley) Penta/TP's to try out.

They will definitely give you more control around the greens, as will a Pro V1, but the Srixon's can be had for silly money now as the new Z Star is due out soon(ish)...I would buy a sleeve of Z-Stars, Penta TP's, Pro V1's and maybe the Bridgestone top end balls and see which one suits you best.

The trouble with "high end balls" is that they tend to exaggerate a bad shot because they generate so much spin, particularly off the tee. So you need to be wary of that.

But it's really down to personal preference and what fits your game. Give them all a try and see which one you like.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for that.

Looking at the Z-Star they say they offer reduced spin off the tee (driver), but then, like you say, it's waht suits my game.

I think I'll try that and see what suits best. Thanks for the advice.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
The trouble with "high end balls" is that they tend to exaggerate a bad shot because they generate so much spin, particularly off the tee. So you need to be wary of that.

I don't know about that Aztec, I can slice spuds and tour balls with equal results ;)

I do know that my best rounds have been shot with a ProV1x. Like you, i've got two dozen Z Stars to try over the summer :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I always use proVs and srixon zstar , but played with a wilson FG tour yesterday and thought it was a great ball. Lovely and soft off irons and putter, plus good distance with driver. If i had to buy any balls in the near future it would be these. Don't think much of the other Wilson balls however.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ay up duck... sorry a bit off topic. Where do you play usually? Nice to see another stokie on here

Ow at!!

Just noticed you're from Newcastle-Under-Lyme. My regular course is Blythe Bridge. Nice to know I'm not the only Clayhead on here :D

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Play at Newcastle, left for a couple of years to play at stone
but have joined back at castle this year... more of a banter with the lads there. stone was dead, the bar was always shut.... thats never good

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I work about a mile up the road from the Stone course, and, to be fair, Newcastle looks alot better.

We played the Isacc Walton (out the back of Stone) last year. That was a nice course.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah Izaac is a lovely course but unplayable in winter as the drainage is (or was) poor which is a shame. Got a few mates from Stone way hence why i joined. We all upsticks this year and joined catle cus the clubhouse / comps / course are loads better.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah they got some offers on at the moment aswell... and no joining fee!! there used to be a 4 year waiting list but that was back in the day when everyone had money.

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't help but notice that everyone has recommended premium balls here.

I'll throw in a mid-range suggestion..

Looking at your handicap of mid 20's a premium ball might not be the best option for you.
The z star in particular is for faster swing speeds.. if you've a naturally slower tempo it might not be the best ball for you in which case i'd suggest you try the AD333, it's in my opinion the best mid-priced ball out there or alternatives such as NXT's?

I chose the AD333's as i've never really got on well with Titleist balls whether its the pro v1 or nxts i prefer the srixon z-stars and AD333s.

Just my point of view though!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gareth

With all due respect mate, I would suggest that if you are having trouble, especially at this time of year, then the problem is more likely your technique rather than the ball (or clubs).

Get down to the practice ground or back garden and practice your chipping with any balls that come to hand. Once you can consistently hit good shots, then it might be time to start thinking more about the ball.

It does make me smile when I see mid-high h/cappers buying and using premium balls in the vain belief that it will make them better golfers. :) :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wilson DX2 are a nice ball, not as expensive as some mof the premier brand balls. them or a Srixon AD333.

Just brought 2 Doz AD333 as their hard wearing and this time of year i dont need anything soft. But come the summer ive got 3 doz DX3's ready and waiting. ;)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have never understood the love in with srixon ad333 but I do like the z star. My baw of choice is a pro v1 BUT I have tried quite a few different balls over different times and conditions. As someone else has said buy a sleeve of different types and give them a go.