Change of Ball

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth

With all due respect mate, I would suggest that if you are having trouble, especially at this time of year, then the problem is more likely your technique rather than the ball (or clubs).

Get down to the practice ground or back garden and practice your chipping with any balls that come to hand. Once you can consistently hit good shots, then it might be time to start thinking more about the ball.

It does make me smile when I see mid-high h/cappers buying and using premium balls in the vain belief that it will make them better golfers. :) :)

I think you mis-understood my post.

I'm not having trouble around the greens, far from it.

Yes, I hit the odd pitch a little on the fat side, but nowhere near as often as I used to. I also totally agree with regard to high handicap golfers spending £££/Dozen premium balls when they (I) will see no real benefit.

I'm just asking for peoples' opinions on different types of ball that could help with my control and offer a little more spin around the greens than the ball I currently use.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth

With all due respect mate, I would suggest that if you are having trouble, especially at this time of year, then the problem is more likely your technique rather than the ball (or clubs).

Get down to the practice ground or back garden and practice your chipping with any balls that come to hand. Once you can consistently hit good shots, then it might be time to start thinking more about the ball.

It does make me smile when I see mid-high h/cappers buying and using premium balls in the vain belief that it will make them better golfers. :) :)

You a probably right.

I only started using a premium ball when I got down to 12. Just didn't notice any benefit until then and I'm a reasonable ball striker.
I don't tend to buy balls myself. First year a was at Tain we had loads of American visitors who lost balls all over the place, mostly new pro v's and I got a big box full of them, plus a few boxes I've won in comps. Even the Wilson I recommended was cos I'd found one. :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you mis-understood my post.

I'm not having trouble around the greens, far from it.

Sorry Gareth. You're probably right. When you said "I'm considering changing my ball to something that will give me a little more control around the greens." I assumed that you were having trouble and you thought the problem lay with the ball.
:)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Found a bridgestone rx the other week, that is a great ball. May try a few more before deciding for the summer. I do like the dx3 so might get 3 of the fg tours to try also.

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't see wh everyone seems so eager to use expensive premium balls..

I play off 18 and granted i spent all last summer using the z-star i only used it as i got a free box.. i wouldnt spend anymore than £20 for a dozen balls.
Yes it's slightly better to use a premium ball but i wouldnt say it's an immediate handicap reducer.

I could honestly say i can't tell the difference much between a ad333 and the z-star and i'm sure although they might not admit it, most with a double figure handicap would be the same.

Oh and using a simple dunlop quadlink ball in windy and wet conditions i shot a 79, as amatuers i believe its more down to the player than a ball.

What i would recommend is picking a ball and staying with it, i noticed that different balls come of the putter differently so it's worth picking one and sticking with it to get the consistent feel off the putter.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree, I used the z-star for most of last year also but I had my best scores when I had none left and used Wilson dx2 soft balls, off my handicap I didn't notice loss of distance,spin or putting ability. I have more z-stars for this season but only 'cos they were 20 quid a doz on offer.I wouldn't pay full price or even contemplate buying pro-v1's at full price.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The balls article in the last GM really got me thinking.

Currenlty I am off 15 and improving playing with AD333.

great all round ball, cheap and easy to use.

I think as my game gets better and I stop loosing so many balls I will need to switch. I think when I get to near single figures with the AD333s I am going to switch to the Z-star or the Z-star X or a prov1

I have a massive stock of AD333s so not going to change for a while!

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll be honest - I used to use ProV1s but I found that, due to their cost, I was so worried about losing them that I - lost them. :(

I switched to Wilson balls which you can get at stupid prices on the net (£30 for 3 dozen!) and, subsequently, I rarely lose them..... :rolleyes:

Pro golfers and elite amateurs use ProV1s because they get them free!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a big fan of the full range of Wilson balls, DX2/3 in winter and FG tour in summer. Just to add another one to the mix though, I went out with a a Bridgestone E6 this morning. I had previously tried the E5 but found I was losing distance. The E6 was flying long and straight, good enough around the greens for winter and I putted really well with them so well worth a try.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're worried about price for a premium ball then dont be , the z-stars are still priced at £20 pre dozen. Pick up a few dozen and you're sorted for a few years. A very good all round ball at a bargain price.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What i would recommend is picking a ball and staying with it, i noticed that different balls come of the putter differently so it's worth picking one and sticking with it to get the consistent feel off the putter.

Now this is pretty much the spot on answer for someone mid teens and above in my eyes. This time of year a soft premium spunky ball doesn't perform to it's optimum. It's too cold, too damp and the greens are so soft a spinny ball doesn't help.

I Just purchased 2 doz ad333 which I'm more than happy with and I'm playing some of my best golf at the moment

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just acquired a dozen ProV's and ProVx's to go along with my two dozen z star's and dozen Penta's to use over the summer. Hopefully they'll last the season!