Celtic Manor

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So after awesome October weather for my visit to Birkdale and Lytham last month, it's looking promising for this weekend at Celtic Manor. Never played it, but last time I was there in the quagmire I was above the green when GMac hold THAT putt. Hopefully as enjoyable this weekend - any tips to maximise that enjoyment?

Neeko1988

Visit site
What courses are you playing? if you playing the Monty get a buggy, i played it in the heat wave this summer and nearly died.

Great courses though!

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
i played it prior to the changes they made for the RC - on a Golf Monthly organised day circa 2003 and really enjoyed the course and clubhouse/facilities.
Think it will be even tougher now!
You will have a good day there - walking in famous footsteps.
is a pity the European tour ceased the Wales Open.

Rich

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Which courses are you on? It's buggys on the paths at all times... worth remembering!

Anything off the fairway will be a bit soggy ... hope greens are recovering!

- Roman Road - is walkable. Interesting changes to holes 16th and 17th. Saves the long walk off the 15th green. Buying a yardage book wont hurt on any of the courses...

- Monty - not my favourate - the old Wentwood Hills holes are decent (but theyve chopped up a couple) the others a bit hit and miss. The members walk with power trollies as sometimes you end up miles from your ball in the bugggy! But a couple of the walks on this course are not funny!

- 2010 - is a Marmite Course and divides opinion. Fun experience. BIG greens, so use the pin sheets! Use your shots and "if in doubt, don't!"

Have fun...

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always carry, never got a buggy for reasons already mentioned. The course will be wet, especially if you miss a fairway. Greens are likely to be great, but soft. Always an enjoyable day out but usually takes 5 hours to play as it is so busy.

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s pretty much the sort of greens you will get on Parklands at this time of the year

Saville85

Hacker
Visit site
Just got home from playing 2010 and Montgomery and 2010 was very wet underfoot. Greens were shocking also!

Montgomery is a far better course than the 2010 and even though the greens had been hollowed also they were running far better.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Love the Monty, bar the first, and 2010 is nice enough though a bit stadiumy. Only played them in july, when it has been decent weather.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. Had a fantastic time. Weather was fantastic bearing in mind it was November. 12 of us played the Roman Road and 2010. Yes the greens had been hollow tined and weren't the best. I've played far wetter courses in my time, only found it boggy in very few places. 2010 played very long, and despite that my big disappointment really was there was no thought on the tee - it was driver everywhere except for 15. Thought the first 5 holes were a bit bland, buty then improved. Really enjoyed the Roman Road, elevation changes and having to think a little more. Not sure about the comment re the short walk from 15th green to short 16th through a building yard - although GPS got confused so obviously something going on.

There's a big picture of GMac holing that putt in the 2010 clubhouse, and I'm convinced I'm in it, though the resolution wasn't good enough to prove it!

Happy hour in the Sports bar contributed to my hangover. And the hotel is mahoosive. Some of the guys got a bus back at the end of the evening - despite never having been outside all night!