Cavity backs V Blades

D

Deleted member 1147

...... a 5 handicap is generally a luckier putter than a 15 handicap thats the difference

I played a winter league match this year, me and my partner both off 10, against 3 and 7 handicapers.

I out played them tee to green and had 6 or 7 makeable birdie putts during the round. But I only got a couple, they got several.

In fact the 3 handicaper told my playing partner over a pint that if I could putt we'd have won by miles!

Oh well!!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
handicap doesnt mean a thing when choosing blades! a 5 handicap is generally a luckier putter than a 15 handicap thats the difference

I'm not sure I'd go that far......10 shots is a lot; if I borrowed the best short game player in the club and got him to play a game with me where I played everything from 50 yards out, and he did the rest, I couldn't see us playing to 2.

I think it's all about consistency...a 5 h'cap doesn't often make a real mess of a many holes, where a 15 does too easily.

I think it stands to reason that low h'cap players hit more greens....if you hit 9/18 greens, you don't need to be that hot with the putter. If you only manage 6/18 greens, and play to 5, you're probably a short game genius.

pigmeister

Assistant Pro
johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
So a 5 handicaper is only a 5 handicaper and not a 15 handicaper because he is a luckier putter :D I said in one of my posts earlier that most of the posts on the forum were shite, look no further than MPVs above :p Go and ask any pros advice on what clubs to buy and they tell you cavities. Unless your a 15 handicaper that putts like Stevie Wonder that is. Give me strength. The problem with amature golfers is they think they are so much better than they are. Stick to cavities lads and you will play so much better, just go and ask your pro. PLEASE.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yeah good one Pigboy - if only we all knew as much as you!

PS - if the pro tells you to use blades what do you do then? Ignore him and get deep cavities? 2nd opinion?

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
there is no definitive answer to this so why do people jump on every other post and deem it as rubbish?

cavity's are recommended by many as it offers the better probability of hitting a good shot.

Each person knows their own mind and swing. If someone prefers the feel of blade to cavity leave them be - regardless of handicap...I can be rubbish (or great) with either!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Methinks pigmeister is maybe taking MVP's post too literally.

Personally, most of the 5 handicappers I play with don't hit their irons much better than a good 10 or 12 handicapper. Get them within 60 yards and there's no competition. Good scrambling and better putting generally.

Luckily I read between the lines on his original post, though, or his theory of "most posts on this forum being shite" would have applied, in spades. Pigmeister, note to self. Your opinion is just that.

pigmeister

Assistant Pro
johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
I am not saying that i know everything, all i am saying is a low handicaper strike the ball with more consistancy than mid or high handicapers. A good pro would never tell a mid handicaper to go and use blades, thats a fact. IF your are a member of a golf club, please go and ask your pro for his thoughts. Dont go to the local golf discount shop because they will sell you any crap just to get it off their shelves. All i am saying is go and ask a pros advice before buying clubs. Dont just buy them because they sit behind the ball nicely, your mate recones they look great, or some 15 handicaper on the golf forum says he can rip his off a tight fairway most of the time, ish :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
As i have previously mentioned i have a mate who plays to the low teens, used to be single figures. Still plays with blades and strikes the ball very well. IT IS his putting that lets him down. So what am saying is, what your saying isn't strictly true. But a good foundation!

Am sure if he went to a pro, he would recommend blades after watching him hit them, and he is no where near a 5 these days!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok. But I also think that you're over-generalising.

I know an 18 handicapper who I play with every month who hits his wedge 180 yards. I'll hit a 5 iron. Now, if only he could hit a fairway. Would blades harm him? Not in my view.

Everyone's different (I'm not!) Just because you're a certain handicap doesn't mean that you're the same thoughout the bag. (P.S. I'm a 28 putter and chipper according to Scoresaver2)

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Forget about this Pro business would you. Pigmaster 'Ask a pro, ask your pro, ask a good pro'. Do you know what my pro says if I ask him anything? He says its all crap, all a load of guff to make people spend more money. Square Drivers, Shaft flex, cavity backs, fat shafts, CUSTOM FITTING!!! He won't have any of it. 'This Benross is as good as anything is usual how it finishes. Pro's don't know everything. They're good but not always correct.
Cavities are too light for me and if I use light clubs I
sh%%k them.

I've a feeling that Pigmaster has tried to hit blades on more than one occasion and couldn't do it and its hurt his feelings a little bit. Chin up baby, give me a smile.

pigmeister

Assistant Pro
johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
Benny, if your pro says all that then i really pity the members at your golf club, which is? Pros dont know everything, in his case, i suspect not, if they really are his words. I bet hes old and his shop is full of cheap golf equipment i.e. benross. Im not knocking it, if i was a beginner then i may look at a set. But im not, so i go for better, proven quality. I play Mizuni MP60s. And he reckons every one should play with the same set of clubs, same shafts, same flexes. Does he still sell hickory sets and dunlop 65s. I bet his lesson book is full! A good pro, which we have,should advise you about different clubs & shafts & not try and palm you off with cheapest clubs he proberly has the biggest mark up on. Sorry to piss on your fire, but when i started to play golf i played with blades until i got down to 8. Mizuno Pro 11s were my next set, which are the nearest thing to blades you can get, played off 5. Chin up benny babe, gis a smile :rolleyes: :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to piss on your fire, but when i started to play golf i played with blades until i got down to 8

Sorry to urinate on your BBQ mate but isnt this contradicting your whole argument.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought anyone who was higher than 5 handicap couldnt hit blades?

pigmeister

Assistant Pro
johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
they shouldnt. unless youve got an immense amount of talent and natural abillity which i had in spades :D. When i first started playing(25 yrs ago) the only good sets of clubs you could get were blades. Through a lot of hard work, playing 4-5 times a week(and of course talent) i got my handicap down, around a rather difficult golf club, yes playing with blades. I used to rip a Wilson Staff Fluid feel 1 iron blade around there and even ripped it off the fairway, draw or fade. The Mizunos i brought second hand because my original set were knackerd. I now have MP60s which i brought from new and are by far the best clubs i have owned or hit. Miss hits go nearly as far as a proper strike and on a cold day the miss hits dont go 50yds and the thin ones dont give you stress fractures of the fingers(blades). You have to hit blades out of the middle every time, for a low handicaper that is not easy let alone a mid handicaper. So yes, it may sound contradictive but I have played with both so therfore i can see both sides of the story. If i could go back to when i started which set of clubs would i go for........cavities every time. My handicap would certainly come down quicker and those thin ones woulndnt have hurt so much on those cold frosty days.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Therefor you dont need to be a low handicapper to use blades.

Glad we came to the conclusion on this post,

Thankyou and goodnight!

pigmeister

Assistant Pro
johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
P.S. the original point i was trying to make was that golf, the game we all play, the game we all hate at times, the game that makes grown men cry, is the most difficult of games to play, fact. Why then do we make it more difficult than it already is? We need every little edge, every little bit of help to stop us going mad or worse, joining the local bowls club, My MP60s give me that little edge, that little bit of help, that slightly off centre hit that clears the ditch. That one maybe two shots a round that is the difference between a smile and a tear. Thank you.