Cavity backs V Blades

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Tour pros use them and chances are some of you lower handicappers may use them, but what exactly is the playing difference between blades and cavity backs?

I've heard blades don't have the forgiveness offered by cavity backs. Are they more difficult to hit and use?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, i have used both, although i actually hit a 7 iron onto a 160 par 3 green, i tried from the fairway and it was alot harder to find the sweet spot and it shook my arm on mis hits! I think you have to be a powerfull hitter to get them to go anywhere!

D

Deleted member 1147

They're less forgiving but give you more control for shaping shots and when hit well feel fantastic.

But when you hit 'em like I did this weekend feel like expensive shovels.

The advantage of my Titleists is that the long irons are shallow cavity backs & the shorts irons are blades so you get the best of both worlds.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know mine are too good for me but they look amazing when you put them behind the ball.

It makes you want to hit them so much.

I do carry a rescue now though for a lot of the 3/4 iron shots.

mboy1980

Club Champion
Visit site
Blades are better for playing little chip and runs and pitches and also better at cutting through long grass when you find yourself in trouble.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got a progreesive set and i think that they are ideal
blades pw,9,8 cut muscle 765, cavity 3,4 i hit them lovely off the tee and they do help shape shots. i struggled to hit draws because my Cavity back Ping G2 were too forgiving!

blades are for consistent ball strikers with imagination! if you wanna try them then do by all means dont let someone put you off they might suit your game!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
blades are for consistent ball strikers with imagination! if you wanna try them then do by all means dont let someone put you off they might suit your game!

That sentence right there is probably the most sense I've ever heard when it comes to the blade/cavitys debate. That is the absolute stone cold truth and the final word on the subject.

You won't believe how easy it is to work your irons with a nice little 3-4 yard cut/fade with blades - you get supreme control and such a nice ball flight, I'd really reccomend you try them atleast once - tell you what - if you stripe one and get that velvet feeling you'll have to drag yourself back to the cavitys. It'd be like a night with Sophie Howard and having to spend the rest of your life cuddling up to Norah Batty.

pigmeister

Assistant Pro
johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
Cavities are a lot easier to hit than blades as their sweet spot is far bigger. Unless you have a very low handicap (5 or lower) i would stick to cavities as these would be so much easier to hit.I have to smile when i read some of replies to the questions on these forums! Hellbunker, why are you playing off 13 and playing with blades, off your handicap they must be more of a hinderance than help. Any good pro would give you that advice. And Benny, how many golfers do know that can hit 3-4 yard cut/fade??? with any consistancy, not many with blades ill wager. I really would like to see peoples handicaps and what golf couse they play on when they dispence advice on these threads. Some of it is spot on and helpfull but alot of it is shite.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Harsh! but probably fair.

I turned up for a lesson (off 14 at the time) with a set of blades.....once the pro had stopped laughing, we put the lesson on hold and went and dug out a set of old but useable cavities from the back of the pro shop. Never looked back.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a set of half cavities, Mizuno MP-30's, and the prospect of hitting proper blades, which hardly exist nowadays anyway, scares the bejesus out of me! :D

pigmeister

Assistant Pro
johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
"Blades are for consistant ball strikers with imagination". this is a nice quote but how many golfers on this forum does this apply to? 1%??? and there are over 1100 members. It may be harsh and i tend not to mince my words if some one asks me for advice. If that some one then goes out and buys something that is not going to help him, then why tell him just because he may want to hear it. Any one playing with blades needs to be 5 handicap or better, fact. Off 13, i dont think so! Go and buy a good set of cavities and your ball striking will improve and your handicap will come down. You shouldnt buy clubs because they look good sat in your bag!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Cavities are a lot easier to hit than blades as their sweet spot is far bigger. Unless you have a very low handicap (5 or lower) i would stick to cavities as these would be so much easier to hit.I have to smile when i read some of replies to the questions on these forums! Hellbunker, why are you playing off 13 and playing with blades, off your handicap they must be more of a hinderance than help. Any good pro would give you that advice. And Benny, how many golfers do know that can hit 3-4 yard cut/fade??? with any consistancy, not many with blades ill wager. I really would like to see peoples handicaps and what golf couse they play on when they dispence advice on these threads. Some of it is spot on and helpfull but alot of it is shite.

Hey i thought i was the one who was supposed to annoy people here :)
Erm ME - I can hit any sort of fade you want and I'll prove it anytime anywhere haha. Maybe you can't hit blades but don't stop other people trying if theyre curious and having a think about it. This 5 handicap nonsense is a wee bit silly too. Lower handicaps don't strike the ball much better than mids half the time, they just have better course management and a better short game. I wouldn't swap my ball striking with my irons for anyones I've played with this year but I would like to get better at distance control with a wedge and holing more putts.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive gotta half agree with benny here, having a lower handicap doesn't always mean you are a better striker of the ball than a mid handicapper. My mate plays too about 15 and he uses blades, strikes em aswell as can be done. But he is let down by his short game and putting or he would be single figures.

That said 'davethepro' uses x20 tours, he's a pro and i bet he'd tell ya he couldnt use blades!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey i thought i was the one who was supposed to annoy people here :)

Nice one, benny. :D I liked that one. Nothing like a little self deprecating humour.

And yes, the 5 handicap thing isn't quite accurate. I appreciate the point pigmeister is trying to make , though. You have to be able to strike it sweetly very consistently to make the most of blades. No forgiveness whatsoever.

D

Deleted member 1147

I agree that the 5 H'cap thing is a load of rubbish.

I can hit the ball well on most occasions and have in the past played well with blades borrowed from a friend.

However, until I can putt and keep my head for 18 holes I won't reach that zenith of good golf and blade worthiness of 5.

If I could do those things 5 would be a disappointing H'cap in fact!!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
handicap doesnt mean a thing when choosing blades! a 5 handicap is generally a luckier putter than a 15 handicap thats the difference