Category 1 golfers

manxjimbo

Visit site
Hi i am new to this and am trying to post my own thread re rules of golf, hoping that you can help me here re my question or can post this so as we get feed back from those who know, my question is with reference to a CAT 1 golfer 0-6 Hcap, at what time can such a player receive a cut in their Hcap ? my understanding is that such a player can only be cut as a result of a competition played from medal Tee's and NOT in general play ? we have some clubs here in the Isle of Man who appear to be cutting Cat 1 players as a result of general play can you clarify what the ruling is on Cat 1 players ?

edit, Brendy: threads merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

manxjimbo

Visit site
Hi ALL please can someone clarify to me what the official ruling is reference a CAT 1 golfer 0-6 Hcap and at what times they can receive a cut to their Hcap ? my understanding is that such a player can only receive a cut after having played in a competition from the medal Tee,s and NOT as a result of General play ? I ask this as here in the Isle of Man we have some individuals who appear to be having cuts to their Hcaps from general play when they are CAT 1 golfers ? Please can someone confirm official ruling

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Handicap question

My understanding is that CAT 1 players can receive general play reductions/supplementary cards but it has to be done by the county and not by the club (I should know for definite but I play enough comps that I've always been done via medal rounds!)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi.... welcome to the forum

My understanding is that, under CONGU, they can be cut on results other than by scorecard, but only with the prior permission of the clubs county officials. No doubt this will be corrected if I'm now wrong!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome enjoy.

Straight in at the deep end Cat 1 up to 5.4, is subject to county approval on many degrees and not sole responsibility of the clubs.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Didn't think it was exclusive to cat 1 players??? Thought anybody coukd hand in 10 supplementary scores a year. They must inform the pro shop/club before they go out and then send the cards away

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't think it was exclusive to cat 1 players??? Thought anybody coukd hand in 10 supplementary scores a year. They must inform the pro shop/club before they go out and then send the cards away

Its not, CAT1 just have to go through the county not the club as higher category golfers would!

The Sclaffer

Assistant Pro
Visit site

You're correct on the "supplementary score" aspect but as others have said the Club itself does not have the authorisation to make general play adjudstments to a Category1 golfer (supplementary scores and general play adjustments are treated differently under the UHS scheme)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is nothing in the rule book to say that Cat 1 players' Supplementaries have to be submitted to the Area Authority/County Union.

The Sclaffer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is nothing in the rule book to say that Cat 1 players' Supplementaries have to be submitted to the Area Authority/County Union.

Corrrect. (I'm currently in the process of wading through the UHS 2012-2015 book.) Some of the clauses make for a right rivetting read. ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
wide ranging responses :)

my understanding is as follows -

1. Supplemental scores are nothing to do with General Play adjustments under clause 23; they are effectively Q scores played against an SSS, and handicap adjusments are system derived, recorded on the player's handicap record and there is no requirement to involve the area authority.
2. Easiest to quote the handicap manual in respect of clause 23 adjustments to cat 1 (basically it's the responsibility of the Area Authority - but this is EGU and may vary with others as I haven't checked)

"23.4 When the Handicap Committee has decided that the:
(a) Exact Handicap of a Category 1 player should be reduced, or the
(b) Exact Handicap of a Category 2 player should be reduced into Category 1, or the
(c) Exact Handicap of any player should be increased (subject to any direction made pursuant to
Clause 4.5(a) and 23.3(b))
then the Handicap Committee must refer the matter to the Area Authority, with its recommended
adjustment. The Area Authority shall then authorise the recommended variation, reject the
recommendation or refer the matter back to the Handicap Committee for further consideration.
The Area Authority must be supplied with all the information upon which the recommendation is
based and with any further information required."

As already pointed out, Cat 1 is below 5.5

Last edited:

The Sclaffer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
wide ranging responses :)

my understanding is as follows -

1. Supplemental scores are nothing to do with General Play adjustments under clause 23; they are effectively Q scores played against an SSS, and handicap adjusments are system derived, recorded on the player's handicap record and there is no requirement to involve the area authority.
2. Easiest to quote the handicap manual in respect of clause 23 adjustments to cat 1 (basically it's the responsibility of the Area Authority - but this is EGU and may vary with others as I haven't checked)

"23.4 When the Handicap Committee has decided that the:
(a) Exact Handicap of a Category player should be reduced, or the
(b) Exact Handicap of a Category 2 player should be reduced into Category , or the
(c) Exact Handicap of any player should be increased (subject to any direction made pursuant to
Clause 4.5(a) and 23.3(b))
then the Handicap Committee must refer the matter to the Area Authority, with its recommended
adjustment. The Area Authority shall then authorise the recommended variation, reject the
recommendation or refer the matter back to the Handicap Committee for further consideration.
The Area Authority must be supplied with all the information upon which the recommendation is
based and with any further information required."

As already pointed out, Cat 1 is below 5.5

Mr Pedantic wishes to point out that you omitted the number "1" following the first use of "Category" in Clause 23.4(a) and following the second use of the word "Category" in Clause 23.4(b)

;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mr Pedantic wishes to point out that you omitted the number "1" following the first use of "Category" in Clause 23.4(a) and following the second use of the word "Category" in Clause 23.4(b)

;)

not at all pedantic - corrected.

why copying and pasting into here does this I don't know - can happen from a number of mediums.

cheers

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Nope - it's on P39 of the Scotland version of the CONGU manual. Every affiliated club has to have a system to allow any player to submit a Supplementary.

excellent, is there a link to the process and/or rules etc etc
...I'll try a google search

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
found it, so, up to 10 a year with 1 a week max, inform before playing and must be under medal conditions, ideal for the times during the season my club has gaps of 3 weeks with no comps....

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
found it, so, up to 10 a year with 1 a week max, inform before playing and must be under medal conditions, ideal for the times during the season my club has gaps of 3 weeks with no comps....

Most clubs up here offer in excess of 40 medals a year so I see no need for supplimentaries for me however those who work constantly at weekends would see the benefit.

If I couldnt play comps I doubt id keep a club membership if im honest.