Carry only

Mel Hadfield

Visit site
We have adopted a policy of no trollies or buugies whilst there is frost on the course
Does anyone know of any research which may have been carried out to determine whether or not this has any beneficial effect whatsoever as regards turf conditions?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not so much a 'beneficial' effect, but a way of limiting/mitigating the damaged cause by trollies and (moreso) buggies as the ground thaws. There are other ways to 'manage' traffic damage through winter, but this is the simplest, if not the most popular for those who can't carry.

My view is that if the ground conditions are bad enough for this to apply, then the golf should not be taken very seriously anyway! Hacking it round a sticky course is not a lot of fun - especially for we dodgy short-game exponents!

Where in the UK do you play?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Have a look at the BIGGA website, that’s the greenkeepers association I think :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Next time its frosty at home go out with a pair of shears and cut a 1 foot square. Frozen grass stalks snapped by trolley wheels allows the frost to get inside the grass stalks, splitting the fibres and killing the grass.

But rather than have a "yes it will, no it won't" debate by all the different experts on here, go out and do the grass cut. You will end up with an ugly brown square that will last well into the spring before it is replaced by new grasses. I, like many, was sceptical till I saw the evidence with my own eyes.

When the ground is really wet and soft, spinning wheels will actually pull grass out, including the roots. Hence hedgehog wheels - less spinning.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Next time its frosty at home go out with a pair of shears and cut a 1 foot square. Frozen grass stalks snapped by trolley wheels allows the frost to get inside the grass stalks, splitting the fibres and killing the grass.

But rather than have a "yes it will, no it won't" debate by all the different experts on here, go out and do the grass cut. You will end up with an ugly brown square that will last well into the spring before it is replaced by new grasses. I, like many, was sceptical till I saw the evidence with my own eyes.

When the ground is really wet and soft, spinning wheels will actually pull grass out, including the roots. Hence hedgehog wheels - less spinning.

Absolutely this 👍👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have adopted a policy of no trollies or buugies whilst there is frost on the course
Does anyone know of any research which may have been carried out to determine whether or not this has any beneficial effect whatsoever as regards turf conditions?

It's the mud - and the damage to the grass as the wheels break the grass stalks...

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The other issue is that roping off areas around the green also channels golfers into often narrow paths that get rapidly destroyed. Unless replaced these are often then poor for the majority of the season.

A ban on trolleys is difficult but most golfers should be able to use a carry bag with half a set through the winter in what is usually social golf. This spreads the wear over a broader area.

If also speeds things up play as you can walk in straight lines to your ball rather than via the roped off areas.

We keep on main tees and greens all year around and there doesn't appear to be significant damage other than the tees getting hammered as divoting isn't effective out of the growing season.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
As well as the other informative answers.
It makes the course look dog muck! I always carry in winter even though buggies and trollies aren’t banned.
Much easier to carry than to go into roped off areas banned to the winter wheeled baffoons.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We ran a test years ago on our 9 hole course over two seasons with no trolley bans and no temporary greens which showed that trollies and players walking on frosty ground does not do any real damage. We therefore stopped having the policy on our 18 hole course except we go to temps when there is ground penetrating frost. Most damage is actually done when the greens starts to thaw and we are more likely to be on temps at that stage.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As well as the other informative answers.
It makes the course look dog muck! I always carry in winter even though buggies and trollies aren’t banned.
Much easier to carry than to go into roped off areas banned to the winter wheeled baffoons.

Same here, if playing a course that's likely to be muddy it's easier to carry
Less detours, less damaging to the course and less muck to clean off after!

Mel Hadfield

Visit site
We ran a test years ago on our 9 hole course over two seasons with no trolley bans and no temporary greens which showed that trollies and players walking on frosty ground does not do any real damage. We therefore stopped having the policy on our 18 hole course except we go to temps when there is ground penetrating frost. Most damage is actually done when the greens starts to thaw and we are more likely to be on temps at that stage.
Thanks for commenting Jim, I'm just interested in ground frost,wet or muddy ground is another thing and our feelings are that using trollies when it's frosty does no harm whatsoever to the ground or grass. We are trying to convince our greenkeeper that trolley bans are unnecessary but some form of research will help give weight to argument.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

have you got proof of this??

;):rofl::rofl:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We are trialling staying on full greens this year. I'm nervous as our greens have been superb this year and I'm worried playing on them in the frost may cause damage that means come the new season they take longer to recover. However our green keeper has done great stuff in his two years at the club so I guess you have to trust his knowledge. We use to have hedgehog wheels in the winter but did away with that last year and there didn't seem to be any additional damage

Mel Hadfield

Visit site
Thanks Homer, greens are not the issue, we always go on winters when it's frosty, just the fairways are my interest, many thank you Hobbit for your comment, it certainly sounds plausible and as it's frosty this morning, I shall go cut a small patch of lawn at home ( whilst the missus is not watching..;-( ) and check the result this spring. Our greenkeeper is new to our course, just a couple of months but our previous keeper did an excellent job and had the course in superb condition....and never imposed a trolley ban during frosty days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
None of the clubs I've been a member of in Northumberland have had winter trolley bans or a need for Hedgehog wheels. They will ban buggies but if the course is open then trolleys are fine. I think there would be hell on if the greenkeeper tried to impose it at my current place after 30yrs of no issues.

Clearly it suits some clubs, maybe more prevalent in certain conditions, but it does not happen here.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for commenting Jim, I'm just interested in ground frost,wet or muddy ground is another thing and our feelings are that using trollies when it's frosty does no harm whatsoever to the ground or grass. We are trying to convince our greenkeeper that trolley bans are unnecessary but some form of research will help give weight to argument.

Surely the Greenkeeper is the one with the qualifications to do the job. He/She should know what is best for the grass having had to study it for so long, and deal with it on a daily basis. If you don't want to listen to him/her, then get rid of them and let the members decide what is best for the course...I am sure that will go down really well!